GREG GROWDEN July 2, 2010

FORMER Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, who discovered Matt Giteau eight seasons ago, believes the Test centre's recent form wobbles, in particular his goalkicking, stem from the fact he ''doesn't look happy''.

Giteau's position in the Wallabies' starting XV is under threat following several average perform-ances, including missing some easy kicks at goal - against England in Sydney and late last year against Scotland at Murrayfield - resulting in two Test losses.

Giteau's relationship with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is not as close as he has had with some of the Kiwi's predecessors, in particular Jones, who picked him from left field for the 2002 end-of-season northern hemisphere tour. Giteau also appears uncomfortable with some sections of the ARU's hierarchy.

When Jones was asked yesterday what he thought Giteau was doing wrong, in particular with his goalkicking, he replied: ''I think it's inside his head gear.''

''He doesn't look happy to me,'' Jones told the RuggaMatrix website. ''I don't know why. But that's the reason. I don't think there is anything technically wrong. Let's face the fact - 'Gits' hasn't played well for a few years. There must be some reason for it - whether it be the style of play, his own situation, or the coaching. Those close to him will know what it is. But he hasn't played well.

''I think his goalkicking has been pretty good beforehand. But it's starting to become transparent in his goalkicking. And what happened on the weekend when you're asked to split the kicking 50-50 is not a vote of confidence. It is quite clear to see.

''He was a bubbly young kid but he has certainly lost a bit of that sparkle. He is a bit like a flat glass of beer at the moment.''

Jones said he could also empathise with Deans, whom he described as ''an excellent coach'' but was suffering from having to choose from a small pool of players.

''One of the best quotes I've ever seen was by the Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger when he was asked if he was interested in being the England coach. He said that when you're the head coach of a national team, you don't control the talent you have at your disposal. Other people do that for you,'' Jones said.

''And it's so true. At the national level, you're not in charge of development. You can't guarantee who is going to come through at that particular time. As Robbie said during the week, you have to work with what you've got. He can't miraculously pull a 16-year-old out and develop him over the next three or four years. That's not his job.

''There is definitely a lack of depth of quality players in Australia in certain positions. You just have to look at the lock position. Nathan Sharpe is a fantastic player and the older he gets the better he gets. But he's unchallenged as Australia's premier lock. There's no one within cooee of him, and there's got to be.''

Jones was also sceptical of the worth in playing so many young front-rowers, rather than recalling mature props, such as Al Baxter.

''It's certainly not going to help the World Cup campaign. Are any of those young blokes going to make it in the World Cup? You'd have to say no. It's shown in the World Cup that you need an average of 40 caps per player. There's nothing wrong with what Robbie has done, but I still wouldn't throw out those older props because I think we're going to need them.''

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...0701-zqq1.html