Pretorius hopes to be a Shark

2010-06-23 22:32
Email | Print

André Pretorius (Gallo Images)

Christo Buchner

Johannesburg – At 31 years of age and with almost more injuries than goals scored during the first two weeks of the World Cup, André Pretorius says he still has the hunger for big rugby.

The former Lions and Springbok fly-half now wants to join the Sharks. He just has to convince them of his fitness.

Pretorius underwent medical tests at the Sharks, “but I have not heard the result”.

“I spoke to Rudolf Straeuli (who does the contracting at the Sharks) and he knows how eager I am to make a contribution again,” said Pretorius.

One possibility is that the Sharks won’t offer him a contract because of his record with injuries, but will give him the option of training with them and showing that his injuries are behind him. Proving that he will be fit enough to add value.

Pretorius, who was set to play Super 14 rugby for the Western Force this year, tore his hamstring in his left leg in a training game prior to the tournament.

“If I get injured, I do a proper job of it,” he joked this week.

“The Force were very good about it and I got great assistance with my rehabilitation. I want to make sure I’m 100% ready to play and would rather wait a week longer and try and rule out the risk of another injury to soon.

“If you have been injured as often as I have, it can play on your mind. But I feel I still have good rugby in me and am still hungry to play.

“The Sharks will be my first choice. Their structures are good and it will be something special to be part of them.

“But I don’t believe in placing all your eggs in one basket and that is why I have a plan B and C if things don’t work out at the Sharks.”

Pretorius did not want to elaborate on his other options. He had a good Super 14 with the Lions in 2008 and played all 13 games before the injuries struck.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Preto...Shark-20100623