Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You Want The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

You Want The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!

Well, the heading's an exaggeration, but I've got your attention.
    This is my mid season assessment as to where the clubs presently are.

Nedlands, Cottesloe and Associates have depth over all grades and should all have one or two teams in the finals. Palmyra has less depth, but has a more exciting and unpredictable first grade squad.

I'll come back to the serious contenders shortly. I'll now turn to those that won't be there at the end of the second round in first grade.

Kalamunda.

An improvement over last season, but really, this is a club that hasn't the funds, the administration, or the courage to take the next step. It was not prepared to put in any investment in key quality players and has no junior program to fall back on. It's recruitment drive has concentrated on quantity, on recruiting anyone showing a passing interest if they came from NZ or the Islands, and they have got exactly what they paid for.

Wanneroo.

The fact they are still desperately attempting to recruit disaffected players from other clubs' second grades says it all. A couple of lumps of lard in the front row doesn't make a team, and unfortunately for them, that's all they have. A coach who is now distracted by state representative duties won't help either.

University.

How a club that has everything laid on for it, pays for nothing, has access to an endless stream of impressionable young players who have been trained for them by other clubs and private schools, can manage to be such perennial failures, is beyond me.

Western Suburbs.

They know how to do it, and have been the state's most successful poachers since their inception. What they fail to understand is that those mercenaries that jump on just as quickly jump off, and when the money dries up, nobody wants to know them.
    Come back when you can afford to buy some quality.

Rockingham.

The Black Knights of rugby. No thrashing is more than a flesh wound to them. Until they learn all about the real world they will continue to be the whipping boys of the competition.

Perth Bayswater.

Still living in 2007, dreaming of the second coming, and doing naff all to ensure it happens. How a club with such potential can allow itself to be subsumed by a culture of deluded indulgence is also beyond me.

Now for the serious business.

Nedlands.

Top administration, close involvement with RugbyWA, finger always on the pulse, and a remarkable ability to convince others that the biggest dunghill in WA rugby is the place to be. Good luck to them. They have the players to take it out, if their coach does't have a rush of blood and convinces himself that it is all his doing.

Cottesloe.

Smug, odious and totally oblivious to the fact that nobody, apart from the RugbyWA hierarchy, have a kind word for them. Still, for the moment, they have a competent player pool, particularly in their backs, and especially concentrated on the skills of Cloete, and they seem to have the support of the majority of the referees. However, unless RugbyWA again give them dispensation to recruit their pick of the Australian squad for the finals, they will find it difficult to advance much further than the four.

Associates

Wonderful club to be involved with if you are from the Western Suburbs, walk around with a carrot or cracker perpetually stuck up your arse, and happen to speak Greek. Basic set of players. Well disciplined squad. Competent ex player training to be a coach in charge, but they lack the je ne sais quoi to be real contenders this year.Get young Zak Holmes back and we'll talk about it.

Palmyra.

Recruited desperately from the top end of town this year and spent squillions. Had a good financial base to start from, and got the best they could get, even in the coaching department. Trouble is, they are yet to become a team, and don't even look remotely like having any cohesion. Looks like a toss up though between them and Cottesloe as to who will be beaten by Nedlands in the grand final.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 11-06-10 at 01:15.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "cracker perpetually stuck up your arse, and happen to speak Greek"

followed by

"the je ne sais quoi"

Always value your viewpoint though Fulv

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks Fulvio for putting the kiss off death on Nedlands. As always some controversial statements.

Personally I think you are a bit harsh on Kalla. They have some great people in Admin a good culture, support clubs when they visit, lost a couple of good home grown players over East.

Wanneroo seem to lack cohesion and culture. A few gatherings amongst themselves off the pitch, focus on Club first. They do have the cattle but not the will.

Wests started off with the best intention of developing their own in 2009, this looked like continuing in 2010, but having heard there's a few Frenchmen and new imports - the message back to their faithful is mixed...

As for the rest, - pretty much spot on.

Rookie
    vCash
    Very amusing and inciteful comments Fulvio. A few additional ones:

From what I heard this week Wanneroo have all sorts of in-fighting happening and the knives are definitely being sharpened for Elwee's throat. The money man has lost focus / interest and the imports all have their hands out. The Dogs are getting what they deserve.

Cottesloe are a bunch of dirtbags and are fast becoming the most disliked club in town.

I hear that you bankroll Palmyra Fulvio. You are not feining injury again are you?

Sorry Hansie, wheels are getting wobbly at Kala.

Perth-Bayswater have a big chip on their shoulder about the world and don't have the vision, energy or management expertise. Destined to be in the lower ranks for the foreseeable future.

Rockingham are a major headache for Rugby WA - what to do with a club that wants to play with the big boys but ticks very few of the boxes.

Uni - a lot of youthful exuberance being pissed up against a wall.

Wests - these bunch of poachers will end up shooting themselves in the foot. Not much home grown talent on display despite their pathetic attempts to veil the truth. Need to look at themselves in the mirror.

Soaks - a well run club that will receive their share of the treasure come September.

Neddies - prepare the trophy cabinet Hansie, lots of silver coming your way.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Disappointed about the PB view but like their own fault. I was really disappointed with their apparent lack of interest in winning games (at least in their "100 years of existence").

Those who know me know that I also follow another team in a different sport, who somewhat recently had a "century celebration", which didnt help (likely due to the overload of sponsors on the jersey and wrong colours).

I'm not sure what to feel but I seriously hope PB get themselves together soon. My other team has had a few lean years but they seem to be heading upwards.

CARN PB! Head on up!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "inciteful" or "insightful"?
    Arguably both I guess...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Nice to see some really 'positive' comments about the premier teams in our comp.

Good stuff!

Player
    vCash
    only two home grown force players both come from rocky so stick your comment were the rest of your comments belong oracle.

Rookie
    vCash
    Mr Chertubler,

What have WF players got to do with this topic? What have you been smoking?

I will try to keep this simple for you.

Apart from excellent facilities (inc lighting) Rockingham does not meet any of the criteria Rugby WA has set to participate in the Premier Grade Competition. eg they do not have 3rd grade, U20 or U18 teams and it is highly unlikely that this situation will be remedied anytime soon.

This has caused a major headache for the competition scheduling and I believe Rugby WA have done a good job in keeping Rocky in the competition and buying them some time to sort themselves out.

The question is how long will it be before Rocky can field teams in all grades and be competitive? Rugby WA will be under significant pressure to intervene if Rocky cannot resurrect themselves in 2011.

Apart from a few "District" clubs who would like to have Rocky's spot in Premier Grade the majority of the rugby community acknowledge the importance of Rocky remaining in Premier Grade and thriving as a club.

Player
    vCash
    just stating that they must be doing something right and i don't smoke and still think your comments belong were your others do.

Rookie
    vCash
    Suggest you use your one brain cell for breathing and leave the thinking to others.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Suggest you use your one brain cell for breathing and leave the thinking to others.
    I believe he did make that suggestion . . .

vCash
    What have WF players got to do with this topic? What have you been smoking?
    Well, I would start by saying it's where we develop our WA players to take the next step to S14, and that's the reason the Western Force were sent here?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Rookie
    vCash
    Where do you people come from? And I repeat, what are you lot smoking down at Rockingham?

The fourth Australian S14 franchise was established to increase the elite player depth in Australian Rugby; end of story.

The fact that the franchise was won by Perth is irrelevant.

And the WF were not "sent here".

Sorry to shatter your dreams Robyn but local rugby is not a step away from S14. There needs to be an interim step or two and I understand that the ARU is working on introducing such an opportunity for Australian club players.

Hopefully some new initiatives in 2011 and opportunities for WA based players. The reality is that Qld, ACT and NSW players will benefit most from this with only the most talented WA players being given an opportunity to participate.

Last edited by The Oracle; 13-06-10 at 20:32.

vCash
    The fourth Australian S14 franchise was established to increase the elite player depth in Australian Rugby; end of story.

so longbottom and tyrell havent done that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast