Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PSA School rugby Refs

vCash

PSA School rugby Refs

When arriving at Guilford School the Hale team yr 9A rugby, which i am a part of, got off the bus 2 find the referee in the Guilford change rooms. Why would he be in the opposistion change rooms? Well we at first suspected that he was just checking boots and mouthgaurds so we proceeded with our warm up. Then he came over to the Hale team and checked our boots etc. The game kicked off and i caught the ball on the left wing and ran it up feild, when tackled i outstretched my hands and placed the ball back for my team. According to the ref i was holding on the ball???? anyways Guilord had a halftime lead of 7-0. the second half started well for us scoring a try within seconds, witha missed conversion. 5-7. Again the Hale team broke the line scored, another missed conversion. 10-7. now with only 5 minutes left to go a try for us would seal the game in our favour, a scrum is being conducted in their half and it is our put in, we win the ball and soon the ball is in my hands from a skip pass, i had an open run at the line. THE REF BLOWS HIS WHISTLE! he calles us back for an infringment at the scrum! now why does he blow the whistle then! anyways a minute or so before the end of the game their winger get the ball with room to run he fend off our other winger in the face and makes a charge for the line, our fullback tackles him just before the line and is held, the guilford player squirms and half stands up and put the ball down over the line. our whole team is shouting @ND MOVEMENT REF! he awards a try! end of game 12-10 to guilford. The ref was so biast that i remember hearing a spectator yelling out " go put on your Guilford jumper ref!" Now my point is why some school have paid refs and others do not??? it should always be paid refs that way we will hav a fair game. GO HALE!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    common people gimmie a lil bit of feedback!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fair while since I was down there Shaunmarn but, if you play for Hale you deserve everything you get, "Beat Hale!"
    haha, just kidding mate
    Actually "back in my day" Hale wasn't really a shadow of the rugby power they appear to have become.
    Re the Refs, I think there should be a standard across the comp, regardless of what that is.
    So, either everyone has them or everyone has biased old boys with the whistle, at least it would be consistent.
    To be honest, I don't remember having neutral Refs until Seniors, so perhaps there has been some progress over the last few years?
    Unfortunately, not all PSA Schools put as much weight on servicing Rugby so I think it is a case of putting up with whoever is available, at least the game goes ahead.
    How are numbers around the PSA? Has the surge in playing numbers at Clubs happened in the Schools as well?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    haha what school did you play for "back in the day"?
    Yeah there is definetly been a surge in rugby in PSA the competition in my opinion is even more competitive than that of clubs. In yr 9 we have an A and B team with a few reserves in each team, making the number around 36 players, which is quite good. The Hale yr 9 A backline is a nearly total South African backline with only one of our backs being aussie born but his grandfather is South African. Hale rugby has definetly developed; but this year we lost our 1st team coach Mr Fcfarland to the Western Force academy, he is coaching there now.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Refs are a funny breed - the bad ones destroy the credibility of all of them, fair enough that they make mistakes, but open bias and fundamental mistakes (such as the Force Crusaders game, even assuming they were right in not awarding the try - they got it all wrong...) really needs to be addressed and punished in much the same way as player digressions ....

Onya for posting Shaun!

Hale want their own dedicated Sub Forum?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    That would be great coach! Cheers man!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was at Scotch mate. Sadly, to my knowledge, I was in the last Scotch XV to take the Redmond Cup back in '90 as a Yr11. We went 89-90 undefeated before Trinity started their run in 91.
    Back then the comp was 1st XV, 2nd XV, and one each in Year 10, Year 9 and Year 8.
    It was a very rare honour for a Year 10 to make the 1sts and they were normally exceptional outside backs.
    I'm no longer in a position to comment re PSA v Clubs but certainly back then the standard was very good and at least half of the WAJRU Under 16s and most of the WASRU Open Schoolboys would come from the PSA Schools.
    Unfortunately for Rugby in WA, due to the Independent nature of these seven Schools it is hard to do much to strengthen the competition and many great Schoolboys players, especially from the Boarders, never played on in the WA Club system.
    I remain very optimistic that the advent of the Force will see more of these promising players stay in the sport for at least a couple more years to explore their potential at the Pro level.
    The South African influence on Hale has been quite interesting, is it a case of birds of a feather flock together or just circumstance?
    With those type of numbers you could just about run your move calls in Africaans!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    haha brb i gotta go get sum dinna ill reply in more depth in a lil while

vCash
    SCOTCH!...i pitty u lol just kidin mate. Regarding the South African influence i just think that South Africans tend to opt for rugby rather than the other sports just because its like a culture back in SA, every boy learns how to pass a rugby ball when they are young, but the schools there don't start playin rugby until yr7, so i think its just a circumstance at Hale that Alot fo South Africans are playing rugby. Our firsts captain is South African as well. Regarding your comment about Africaans, some of us in the backline do use little Africaans calls just to put the opposistion team off. Yeah I would like to see more scouts at PSA matches looking for Australia schoolboys selection etc i think there is a great deal of talent at the moment. Rugby is definetly on the rise in PSA schools.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Understand re South Africans playing rugby but why so many SA students specifically at Hale?
    It seems to have happened over about six years to now the extent that you describe with your backline.
    There must have been some trigger point to start seeing so many enrolling (or scholarships?) at the one school?
    It may be happening at the other PSA Schools too but I haven't heard of it, where as it is fairly common knowledge of the SA influx at Hale and the Rugby success over the last few years.
    I have no issue with it happening, if nothing else it is great for WA Rugby, just interested as to the reasons why.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    mmmm i know what you mean, well when i arrived in Ausralia in 2002 there was no real insent on why i was enrolled in Hale other than thats the school my parents chose for me. I know that Guilford and aquainas also have a strong number of south africans in there squads. I think there will only be more South Africans in the squads over time, it will be great from Rugby in WA, i agree. Maybe when Hale vs Scotch you could cum n watch us. See how Hale r dominating Scotch lol! i think we play them on 16th of June.

Apprentice
    vCash
    i used to play rugby at hale a few years ago - had mr mitchell/lindergaard & weston as coaches. had a great time - being a successful team always helps though! you'll find my name on the 'most courageous player' trophey they hand out for year 8's ;-)

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe Hale is now buying Rugby players like they did with swimmers in the 80's

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    b e e a a A A A T T T T HALE!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hi uglybob, u will be sorry to know that MR. Lindegaard passed away last year. Anyways Mr Weston is the yr 10 coach this year. As for u Flamethrower and burgs... ur just jealous! especially u burgs... SCOUT BOYS!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast