Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies named to play England

vCash

Wallabies named to play England

Queensland props Ben Daley and James Slipper could make their Test debuts for Australia on the same night after today being listed among six changes to the Qantas Wallabies match night squad for Saturday’s Bundaberg Red Rugby Series Test against England in Perth.

The 21-year-old Daley will play his maiden Test after being named to start at loosehead prop in the first of the two-game series against England for the Cook Cup. He is one of four changes to the starting XV from last weekend’s 49-3 win over Fiji in Canberra.

The others see Queensland Reds hooker Saia Faingaa promoted from the bench swapping roles with Huia Edmonds, while James’ O’Connor’s three-try performance for the Australian Barbarians against England in Perth on Tuesday night has proved too irresistible to ignore, with the 19-year-old displacing Kurtley Beale at fullback. Beale has been retained on the bench.

The final change to the run on combination places Drew Mitchell on the wing, at the expense of the injured Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Daley, whose introduction to the Test squad was delayed by a shoulder injury, will become the 842nd player to represent Australia in Test matches. The son of former Australian rugby league international Phil Daley, he is coming off a Super Rugby season for Queensland which saw him start in all 12 games for which he was available.

He will be joined in Qantas Wallabies Company by Slipper – last year’s Australian Under-20 Player of the Year – should the newcomer be required off the bench.

Although not utilized by Queensland in a starting role until the tail end of this year’s Investec Bank Super 14, Slipper performed strongly in the opportunities he received, and showcased his versatility on Tuesday night when he played on both sides of the scrum for the Australian Barbarians.

The presence of Slipper, who was not an original selection in the Qantas Wallabies squad, instead being included among the Barbarians group; is one of three personnel alterations among the run on reserves from last weekend’s Test match.

Queensland Reds captain Will Genia re-enters from the bench, after missing the season opener as he rehabilitated from a medial ligament strain in his knee.

NSW Waratahs flyhalf Berrick Barnes is also included, after helping the Barbarians to land a 28-28 draw with England during Tuesday night’s tour opener in Perth.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the choices made today were all form related, rewarding players who had excelled.

“The tour match midweek helped us a lot to that end,” Deans says, “in terms of finalising the combination. The quality shown by James [O’Connor] was simply impossible to ignore, Berrick showed the leadership and direction we were looking for, while James [Slipper] made an impact when he came off the bench.

“Importantly, he [Slipper] offers us cover on both sides of the scrum, which is something that we lost to some extent with the injury that was sustained last week by Ben Alexander.”

Faingaa has similarly been rewarded, after making a strong impact during his Test debut last week against Fiji where he played the final 25 minutes of the game.

His selection had been hinted at when he was omitted from the midweek Tour match squad.

Such has been the level of the turnover in the Australian side: just four players remain in the run on XV from the starting combination when the two sides met last November.

While skipper Rocky Elsom is the only survivor from Australia’s starting pack during the 18-9 win over England at Twickenham, flanker David Pocock and lock Dean Mumm both later featured from the bench.

Among the backs, Mitchell, flyhalf Quade Cooper and inside centre Matt Giteau are the only returnees, although halfback Luke Burgess and fullback O’Connor were un-used substitutes last time. Cooper and Giteau have swapped backline numbers in the time since.

Deans says the turnover in playing resources reflects Australia’s current circumstance with relation to injuries, but also highlights the country’s developing depth, and the greater competition for places within his squad.

“We’ve broadened the playing base a fair bit, and Saturday is a great opportunity for the newer players,” Deans says.

“We’ve already seen a few guys put their hands up in the first two outings that we’ve had as a squad. We will be looking for more of the same on the weekend coming!”

England will field a vastly experienced side, and Deans says his men have no illusions as to the size of the challenge that lies ahead.

“They’ve got a group of great experience in all types of circumstance that is looking to impress,” Deans says.

“We saw many of the traits we will see again this weekend during the Tour match on Tuesday night – most notably the composure England showed after falling behind in the game, and also the direct nature of their play.

“Martin [Johnson] and his team will be determined to deliver a statement of intent, both looking ahead to the rest of this tour but also on to next year and the Rugby World Cup, there’s no doubt about that.”

Australia has won its last two meetings with England, 28-14 two years ago, and by nine points last November. Both games were played in London.

The Qantas Wallabies team to play England in the Cook Cup Test at Subiaco Oval, Perth, on Saturday 12 June, 6.05pm kick off [Perth] is:

1. Ben Daley (Queensland Reds)
    2. Saia Faingaa (Queensland Reds)
    3. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
    4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    8. Richard Brown (Western Force)

9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
    12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
    13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
    14. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    15. James O’Connor (Western Force)

Run On Reserves:
    16. Huia Edmonds (Brumbies)
    17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
    18. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
    19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
    20. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
    22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)

Australia v England – Historical Notes

• This is the 38th Test match between Australia and England. Australia has won 22 and England 14 while the 1997 contest in London resulted in a 15-15 draw.
    • Australia has won 13 of the 15 matches played between the two countries on Australian soil.
    • Both of England’s wins in Australia occurred in the same year – 2003, firstly 25-14 at Melbourne in the Cook Cup Test, and then 20-17 (after extra time) in the Rugby World Cup final at Sydney, five months later. Current England manager, Martin Johnson, was captain in both of those games.
    • On Saturday night, Australia is bidding for three consecutive wins over England, which it has achieved just twice previously – between 1984 and 1988 (when Australia won a record four consecutive games) and between 1998 and 1999 (when it won three straight).
    • The two teams compete for the Cook Cup, which was established in 1997. The Cup is named after Captain James Cook and is currently held by Australia.
    • Although the links between the countries are undoubtedly close, the intensity of the rivalry between the two is a relatively modern phenomenon. This is evidenced by the fact that only six Tests had been played prior to the 1970s. Australia and England have twice met in Rugby World Cup finals, sharing the spoils one apiece, each having prevailed on the other’s home turf.
    • Saturday night is the 11th Test to be played by Australia in Perth since 1998. Australia has won six, lost three and drawn one from previous Test outings in the city. All three previous defeats, and the draw, were Tests played against South Africa.
    • England has never played Australia in Perth, but did beat both Georgia (84-6) and South Africa (25-6) at Subiaco Oval in 2003 during the run to that year’s Rugby World Cup title.
    • Subiaco Oval is the home ground for the Western Australian-based Australian Rules football teams – the West Coast Eagles and the Freemantle Dockers. The ground dates back to 1896 when the first recorded game of Australian Rules football was played on the site.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 10-06-10 at 14:41. Reason: Press release - no need to 'truncate'

vCash
    OConnor got the nod but the shock for me is that Burgess is still in the team.. Deans really must see something im not.

vCash
    Nah, with the halfbacks which have played so far, he's definitely number 2, Genia is obviously not quite right but OK for a bench stint.

Valentine rally didn't impress too much on Tuesday. I'm more surprised by the lack of Pek, I can't see a single thing he's done to deserve a night in a suit (apart from maybe playing about 100 minutes of rugby in the last week)

C'mon the

vCash
    As the knobs at the Rugby Club mentioned last night, Burgess is a strong defender. Even if FA else. If the tight five can't at least gain some parity, we'll need that contribution from him. Valentine doesn't cut it. Sheehan should be starting on the weekend. It's the only chink in the Armour far as I can see.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hape named to make debut for England

Former Kiwis rugby league international Shontayne Hape will make his England rugby union Test debut against the Wallabies in Saturday's Cook Cup clash in Perth.

Hape takes over at inside centre from injured fellow New Zealander Riki Flutey and is one of four changes from the England team that started the final Six Nations game against France.

Hooker Steve Thompson and lock Tom Palmer both start after coming off the bench in Paris while there is a return to the England team for Leicester flanker Tom Croft.

Jonny Wilkinson, the 2003 World Cup hero, remains on the bench with Toby Flood retained at five-eighth while Danny Care has held off the challenge from halfback rival Ben Youngs.

Leicester hooker George Chuter and Northampton lock Courtney Lawes have both been included on the bench.

Captained by Lewis Moody, England are chasing their first victory over the Wallabies on Australian soil since the 2003 World Cup final, when Wilkinson kicked the winning field goal - and only their third ever.

Hape will become the third former New Zealand rugby league international to play for England, following in the footsteps of Henry Paul and Lesley Vainikolo.

The 29-year-old who won 14 caps for the Kiwis has been on England's radar since switching codes to sign for Bath in 2008.

Hape was in line to make his Test debut against Wales during the Six Nations, just weeks after qualifying for England on residency grounds, before falling ill on the eve of the game.

"I have been very impressed with him. He's a very smart carrier with the ball in hand. He's one of those guys that seems to have a bit more time than most, he's very composed," said England manager Martin Johnson.

Hape made his first England appearance in the non-cap game against the Barbarians at Twickenham before the squad left for Australia and has been preferred at inside centre to Bath team-mate Olly Barkley.

Elsewhere, Thompson came on tour as first-choice hooker after Dylan Hartley was ruled out of the five-match trip through injury while Palmer impressed off the bench in Paris at the end of March.

Croft, a star of the Lions tour 12 months ago, returns to the back row after missing the Six Nations with a knee injury.

England: Ben Foden, Mark Cueto, Mike Tindall, Shontayne Hape, Chris Ashton, Toby Flood, Danny Care; Nick Easter, Lewis Moody (capt), Tom Croft, Tom Palmer, Simon Shaw, Dan Cole, Steve Thompson, Tim Payne. Res: George Chuter, David Wilson (Bath), Courtney Lawes, James Haskell, Ben Youngs, Jonny Wilkinson, Mathew Tait.

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-n...0610-xzui.html

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think I've lost faith in Robbie.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    I am gutted for Pek...he deserves better...one of the smarter front rowers around, very high work rate, strong in contact . Must have said something wrong to Jim somewhere.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not the individuals but the combination of 1-4 is my concern, hope there isn't too many Scrums going on.
    Also not a fan of Burgess, he is far too erratic. The matches I saw Holmes outperformed him, let alone Sheehan.
    Genia would definitely be starting if fully fit.

As an interest, came across an old paper clipping from December 2006 listing the 48 man World Cup training squad:

Forwards-R Blake, A Campbell, B Cannon, M Chapman, M Chisholm, B Coutts, D Croft, R Elsom, A Freier, D Heenan, N Henderson, S Hoiles, G Holmes, J Horwill, A Kanaar, D Lyons, H McMeniman, S Moore, W Palu, J Paul, T Polota-Nau, B Robinson, J Salvi, N Sharpe, G Shepherdson, G Smith, D Vickerman, P Waugh.

Backs- A Ashley-Cooper, B Barnes, S Cordingley, M Gerrard, M Giteau, G Gregan, D Ioane, S Larkham, C Latham, D Mitchell, S Mortlock, S Norton-Knight, C Rathbone, M Rogers, B Sheehan, C Shepherd, S Staniforth, M Turinui, L Tuqiri, J Valentine.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Can't see why Slipper gets the nod ahead of Pek, either. I thought the reason for bringing Pek off and leaving Weeks on on Tuesday was to keep him fresh for the test.

Either Slipper trains well, in which case why doesn't he bring it to the match, or Robbie wants to blood him and is saying 'It's only England', which is pretty dumb thing to do - the English props are always a handful even when the rest of the team is rubbish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Nah, with the halfbacks which have played so far, he's definitely number 2, Genia is obviously not quite right but OK for a bench stint.

Valentine rally didn't impress too much on Tuesday. I'm more surprised by the lack of Pek, I can't see a single thing he's done to deserve a night in a suit (apart from maybe playing about 100 minutes of rugby in the last week)
    Brett. Sheehan.
    Is the rest of the world blind?! He's been fabulous for the force. I'm so angry we're watching junk like Burgess week in week out.

Which prop went to the bin, and for what offense on Tuesday?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Awesome line up. It seems like an age since the spring tour, its going to be great to see the first big game of the year kick off in Perth.

The backline looks great, Burgess will do fine and its great to see O'Conner get that spot he has earned and deserves. As long as the kicking game sticks we can run away with it, which is probably why Barnes got the nod on the bench too, but just please don't screw our kicking game Cooper and Giteau...

vCash
    thank goodness Genia is back because i dont think i could stand another dreadful performance by burgess and valo in teh same game. WHAT ARE THEY DOING. poor Sheehan, and poor Pek. glad to see Hodgo on the bench, but not as good as a starting position. hopefully ioane will stop being a butter fingers too.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Pek really isn't as good as some of you like to believe
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Well there is not much between the props at the moment and if Edmonds is there i can see some reason to complain, he is not the 2nd best hooker. Pek is a great defender, i wouldn't rate him as a starting front rower but he has a case for a bench spot in good form.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Pek really isn't as good as some of you like to believe
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Better than Daley, Maafu and Slipper! Slipper has barely even played in the Super 14 and if he was a genuine consideration as a loosehead he'd have played there instead of Weeks on Tuesday. So what happens if Daley gets injured? Maafu and Slipper would seriously struggle.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast