Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blake, Gerrard sign with Rebels

vCash

Blake, Gerrard sign with Rebels

June 09, 2010 - 5:13pm
    Story by: AAP
    Wallabies prop Rodney Blake

"Rodzilla" has signed for the Rebels

Former Qantas Wallabies prop Rodney "Rodzilla" Blake is one of two new recruits announced by the Melbourne Rebels on Wednesday.

Blake, who established himself as a fan's favourite during his previous stint in Super Rugby with Queensland, will join the Rebels for their inaugural campaign along with another former Wallaby in Mark Gerrard.

Tongan-born Blake is a lofty 190cm tall and weighs in around 130kgs and made seven Wallabies appearances during his time with the Reds from 2005 to 2008.

Rebels forwards coach Mark Bakewell said the 27-year-old was a more driven player following a two-year stint in France with Bayonne.

"From his experience, Rodney returns to Australia with a broader range of skills as well as the desire to be the best player in his position in the country," said Bakewell.

"We believe he can exceed the expectations put on him before he left for France and become a major asset for the Rebels and Australian rugby."

Former Test fullback Gerrard joins the Rebels from Japanese club NTT Communications.

He played 23 Tests between 2005 and the 2007 Rugby World Cup, after making his Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002 and moving to the Brumbies the following year.

Gerrard has earned 79 Super Rugby caps and is third on the Brumbies' list of all-time point scorers behind fellow Rebel Stirling Mortlock and Joe Roff.

He scored three tries for the Brumbies in their 2004 grand final victory against the Crusaders.

The Gerrard bit was out a while ago - but Rodzilla makes for a helluva lotta Props. Hendo must be wondering about his decision.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Rodzilla could be the signing of the year, or a total waste of money...it all depends upon whether he has found some ticker in France......NH rugby SHOULD have beaten the shit out of him, if he survived, he'll be in with a shot of being the best front rower in the country, he certainly has the body for it. Does he have the work ethic?

Gerrard will be serviceable but slow, He'll be better than Haig Sare, but no more than a bench player.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Gerrard will be serviceable but slow, He'll be better than Haig Sare, but no more than a bench player.
    Is Haig Sare gone to the rebels ? - cant say i'm said to see him go, I think I can count the positive things he has done on 1 hand since he's been at the Force, but its not about him in this thread.

Gigs, can I pick you up on something ?? "Gerrard is slow" he'll be as quick as lightning Stirling "Cancer man" Mortlock is inside him.

Watching Top 14 on Fox, Blake went for money and nothing else was very poor from what i saw of him in the snipets I saw. Rocket Rod may get some skills out of him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Is Haig Sare gone to the rebels ? - cant say i'm said to see him go, I think I can count the positive things he has done on 1 hand since he's been at the Force, but its not about him in this thread.
    I'm not sure, I only know his contract wasn't renewed based upon a performance review......probably fair, he hasn't ever set the world on fire.
    Gigs, can I pick you up on something ?? "Gerrard is slow" he'll be as quick as lightning Stirling "Cancer man" Mortlock is inside him.
    I guess if you're talking relatively then I'd agree, he's also faster than snails, galapogos tortoises and glacial drift.
    Watching Top 14 on Fox, Blake went for money and nothing else was very poor from what i saw of him in the snipets I saw. Rocket Rod may get some skills out of him.
    Skills wasn't what Rodney needed to pick up last time I saw him, he needed to up his workrate and lower his calorie intake.

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Rodzilla needs to switch to chilli pies to get some fire in his belly!

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Who is slower?

Mark Gerrard or that English 14 from Tuesday night?

vCash
    id love to be proven wrong on Blake, from all reports he hasnt exactly set the world on fire in France.. however he has packed down in thousands of scrums at the top level now and undoubtedly has something to contribute to the team.

If he can get his fitness sorted then he could be a real asset, i have no doubts he will improve his physique, however its whether he can improve it enough.

Gerrard might not be the fastest bloke, but in terms of rugby smarts and skills he is actually quite a good player, he is one of those players who might not make a greater international player, but he definetly has proven himself to be a very good super 15 player.

vCash
    Good oil on both counts TOCC

C'mon the

Prospect
    vCash
    He will be a huge asset to both teams. Great defensive player, excellant attacking vision and a very good communicator.

Xandra

vCash
    Name:  obama-is-confused.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  10.9 KB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Sorry. Have I missed the point here or perhaps i just don't get the joke.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    look at the date of the posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
    He will be a huge asset to both teams. Great defensive player, excellant attacking vision and a very good communicator.
    Wanna buy 3 tickets to the AFL grand final

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Says he's in Alabama, I reckon I could sell him 3 tickets to the Super Bowl

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    In breaking news the rebels sign Beale and JOC in what can only be described as a double trouble.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast