Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force tables attractive offer to wing Cameron Shepherd

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force tables attractive offer to wing Cameron Shepherd

THE Emirates Western Force has taken a big step towards holding off a Melbourne Rebels raid by making star wing Cameron Shepherd an attractive offer to stay in Perth.

Shepherd has been weighing up an appealing offer from the Rebels, who have been eager to woo the pin-up flyer to their new franchise for several months.

Force CEO Vern Reid said yesterday he was confident the club would retain the try-scoring ace.

"Cam likes living in Perth and he fits in well with the city," Reid said.

The only big-name player with contractual issues outstanding is centre Ryan Cross, who is believed to be considering moving back to Sydney and to the Waratahs.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1225875935319

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The only big-name player with contractual issues outstanding is centre Ryan Cross, who is believed to be considering moving back to Sydney and to the Waratahs.

I thought Crossy was here til end of 2011 season?

vCash
    I've been really disappointed with Cross this season. He has made it quite clear that he doesn't want to play for the Force and I suggest they offer him a release so he can go to the do whatever.

And have words with that BEAST of a 13 from Fiji.

On another note, good job Force. Now just put pen to paper Cam!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Another journalist without all the facts, yes Ryan cross is signed to 2011.

Hopefully Cam will sign a new contract, he is an all round good guy and will is a good fit with the Force. I am more concerned with overseas offers as to get back in the Wallaby squad now could be a tough road, especially with Robbie's focus on youth

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    to get back in the Wallaby squad now could be a tough road, especially with Robbie's focus on youth
    Seems he's been around a long time but he's only 26 so that's not an issue. He just needs to shake off his bad run of luck. For him that seems a bit easier said than done. Form won't be an issue if his fortunes turn around.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Being signed may be part of "the facts", perhaps the Force are considering allowing the release?
    The relative experience of Crossy would be handy to have around in case of injury however, I think I would prefer to have his roster position filled with another development player and start working on the #12 O'Connor, #13 Inman combination next year if Crossy is only going to hang around to see out his contract.
    Generally, I reckon there's a strong case for a policy of "If you want to go, then go." I'd prefer to have a team full of dedicated "stayers" than disgruntled distracted visitors.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think Crossy fits well in this team, yes he has had a quiet year.. but quite possibly his success in previous years has been largley due to the players inside him. This year he was asked to step up and lead by example and he just didnt have the kahoonas needed for it...
    the Last two games he started playing really well however and was back his old barnstorming ways.. I like him and hope he stays.

vCash
    i think we should keep him around.
    he had an average season. but the team he was with wasnt anywhere near the quality it was last year.
    as said he came good in the last few games.
    show him some faith. he has the experience we need to guide the developing players

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

oh, and shep, you better stay as well!

vCash
    Two edged sword with Cross, at his best, he was underutilised and at his worst he was ....this season. If he goes to the Tahs, he might just pull a Drew and actually play the way he's capable of, but he might just not have the desire to put it all together anymore. That certainly seemed how it looked to me anyway. Stay or go, Ryan's a risk for us.....I don't mind either way (but agree with the Burgs comment, if he wants to go, don't stand in his way)

C'mon the

vCash
    BEAUTY!

Shep has signed! (apparently)

Meanwhile, former Test fullback Cameron Shepherd will attend Wallabies training in Sydney on Monday in a strong indication he will be called up to the squad.

With Digby Ioane (dislocated shoulder) unavailable for the Springboks Test and Peter Hynes (knee) in doubt, Deans has left two spots open in the 30-man squad.

Shepherd, who has rejected an offer from Melbourne Rebels to re-sign with Western Force, would cover both fullback and wing.

After playing against Ireland in 2008 in Deans' first Test in charge of the Wallabies, Shepherd has been frustrated by a series of injuries.

But a fully fit Shepherd could provide the Wallabies with both size and skill in the outside backs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225889997155

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Without Ioane and Hynes available Shep is a must select, just hope he doesn't get bingled in the next two club matches

Hope the media is right re re-sign, but will wait for the RWA media release...Digby has much to answer for...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Everything Burgs said.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

although I'd say that a Hynes/Shepherd selection on the wing would be 55% Shep anyway. He is just as good a defender, a little more cool headed, equal if not better on the counter and wins the kicking duel hands down....all in all a narrow, but consistent win and with an injury worry over Hynes, that would surely seal the deal.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Without Ioane and Hynes available Shep is a must select, just hope he doesn't get bingled in the next two club matches

Hope the media is right re re-sign, but will wait for the RWA media release...Digby has much to answer for...
    Burgs, don't follow... Diggers is on your list for busting up his shoulder, putting Cam at risk of injury in the Tri-Nats?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Depends what you are after I guess Gigs, they are two different variations of big outside back.
    Shep does bring a far superior kicking game to the table though and that could well be very important going on the seasons attempts so far (Looking at you Giteau...) and if it is going to be tight scorelines.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No Boomer, Digby is on my list for making me skeptical of early re-signing celebrations based on media reports and handshake agreements.

I'm hoping Shep doesn't get injured between now and the Brisbane Test so that he can play in the Tri Nations, in other words, going on past luck even with a walk up start obvious selection Shep is just as likely to trip over a rogue carrot and injure himself in the next fortnight...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast