Nathan Sharpe: Crunch time in Soweto

{} {NATHAN SHARPE}, The West Australian May 26, 2010, 7:27 am

Getty Images / Gallo Images © Enlarge photo

It was almost inevitable, the Bulls hosting the Stormers in the final of the Super 14.
They have been the best teams all year and it will be a ding-dong battle at Orlando Stadium in Soweto.

While it may not reach overly entertaining heights in terms of open rugby, the intensity will be palpable at the venue and for the millions watching on television.
I predicted some time ago the Stormers would make the final and go on and take the title but that will happen only if their forward pack delivers.

They were physically bashed by the Sharks in Durban a couple of weeks back and they'll know that is where the Bulls will come at them, too.

Playing this match away from the Bulls' fortress of Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria will be a huge factor.

I know the Stormers will be pleased not to be playing in Pretoria.

While I'll tune in to watch the final, I cannot tell you how much it would mean to all of us at the Western Force to be playing in the decider.

In terms of the benefits we have gained this season, the proof will be revealed next year - and it will be telling.

Ben McCalman, Ben Whittaker, Justin Turner, Nathan Charles, Mitch Inman and Sam Wykes played huge roles in defining our season as we fought back from a savage injury list early on and eventually became a bogy team for a few of the top sides.

All of those young men will be better for the pain we endured at times this year.
We will play well next year. Continuity of players from season to season is important and we have that.

We have good all-round coverage and have some time in our search for an all-important fly-half. We will find a quality player to complement Mark Bartholomeusz and build around them.

Many guys from the team will be further challenged with roles in the Wallabies and Australian Barbarian games as the year unfolds.

I hope Matt Hodgson gets the Wallaby cap he deserves after he again busted his gut for the Force.

Cameron Shepherd also will be over the moon that he was able to get game time after two years of injury. I'm sure he will get opportunities in the green and the gold.

I'm excited for some of our young guys to be part of the next level of rugby in Australia.

With so many games on the international calendar, there will be some young men who get rapid promotion to that level of rugby.

There are always plenty of nerves at this time of the year for players who have been so focused on doing their bit for the team, and now the season is over there is a possibility of representing your country in the near future.

Following the Waratahs' exit from the finals battle, the 2010 Wallaby squad will be announced tomorrow.

Before the public announcement, the players already will have received a phone call.
Every missed call is scrutinised and every call answered is done so with apprehension.

I recall former Wallaby Matt Henjak answering such a call a few years back.

"Can you hang on a second mate," he said, leaving the caller waiting for three minutes before picking the phone up and casually remarking: "What's up champ?"

A furious Eddie Jones replied: "Champ? champ? I'm not your (expletive) champ."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ime-in-soweto/