Thread: MITCHELL CLARIFIES COACHING FUTURE

vCash

MITCHELL CLARIFIES COACHING FUTURE

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has reaffirmed his commitment to seeing out his contract and leading the West Australian side during the 2011 Super Rugby season.
    Mitchell had already announced that he would not be seeking reappointment following the end of the 2011 season but following recent speculation that linked him to the Lions for next season’s Super Rugby campaign the inaugural Force coach clarified his position.

He said today that discussions with the Johannesburg side had purely been based on a possible consultancy role assisting coaching staff during the South African domestic Currie Cup played between Super Rugby seasons.

“I’m entitled to annual leave, I have quite a bit up my sleeve and there has been discussion about coaching in the Currie Cup only between now and the next Super 14,” Mitchell said today.

“That has only been in discussion and there is no decision made.

“I can still fulfill my duties here.

“I do very little here at this time of the year except for plan and reflect, so I think it is important I continue to coach especially going into a long competition next year.

“It allows me to learn from another country during that period. There are a lot of advantages and it will be beneficial going into the next program.”

“I’m here (in Perth) right through until the end of my contract so I’ll be coaching the Western Force next year.”

Mitchell performed a similar consultancy role last year at the Sharks for a fortnight during their Currie Cup season and has already scheduled two weeks at Japanese club Toshiba before the Force pre-season kicks off for 2011

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good on yeah Mitch

vCash
    I'm sure he would like his final year with the Force to be an improvement on this one, ladderwise.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    “I do very little here at this time of the year except for plan and reflect, so I think it is important I continue to coach especially going into a long competition next year.

Hmmm, well, with respect, there is probably an awful lot that could be done by way of academy training and advanced courses for grade players...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm tipping he doesn't sit around twiddling his thumbs, I think you'd find he means it is other peoples departments at this time of the year and it is not for him to step on their toes.
    I think it shows great character and is an asset that he brings to the table being prepared to go to other peoples' "houses" and learn other methods. It would be very easy for Mitch, someone arguably in the top say 25 coaches in the world to say bugger it, I know everything there is to know, I'm heading to Bali for the month.
    The fact that he is using his own time off to advance his knowledge base speaks volumes of the man to me, I bet Mrs Mitch may prefer it otherwise!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    YAY!!! Good to end speculation, inuendo and rumour..Well Done Mitch!!!

vCash

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think it shows great character and is an asset that he brings to the table being prepared to go to other peoples' "houses" and learn other methods.
    He could also be feathering his own nest by opening up future options for himself. Whilst I agree TWF can benefit, I can't believe everything JM does is totally altruistic and selfless.

vCash
    Saw him at HQ with the skipper on Sports Tonight. He dropped another hint of a smooth transition of the head coaching duties to Dick Graham. Something like "I'm confident the next coach is in the building." That'll do me.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    He could also be feathering his own nest by opening up future options for himself. Whilst I agree TWF can benefit, I can't believe everything JM does is totally altruistic and selfless.
    That sounds like something someone from the Rugby Club would say, but you put it far more eloquently....I have to admit..
    However...

I have faith in Mitch...I hope I am not proved wrong..I will give him the benefit of any doubt until proved otherwise..