Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force may replace John Mitchell sooner rather than later

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force may replace John Mitchell sooner rather than later

Western Force may replace John Mitchell sooner rather than later

THE Western Force hopes to announce its 2012 coach by the start of July, but whether that person also will take charge of the Perth side next season remains to be seen.

Force chief executive Vern Reid confirmed yesterday he was aware of reports the club's foundation coach John Mitchell was being touted as the likely replacement next season for Dick Muir, who created an unenviable Super rugby record this season by coaching the Johannesburg-based Lions to 13 straight defeats.
    "We had the Sharks game to prepare for and I didn't want to distract from that, but John told me there was a matter he wanted to discuss with me in the coming week and that could be it," said Reid on his return from South Africa yesterday.
    Mitchell does not intend continuing with the Force beyond next season when his contract expires.
    But the Lions' offer raises the prospect that the Force committee, which will meet tomorrow to draw up a short list of candidates, might keep open the possibility of immediately replacing Mitchell.

A 27-22 loss to the Sharks in Durban on Saturday (AEST) brought to an end a sorry season for the Force which plummeted to 13th on the table, the club's worst finish since its debut season in 2006 when it placed last in the 14-team competition.
    "It was very much a season of what might have been for us," Reid said. "We had done a lot of planning and work during the off-season and the squad had come together well when six of our top 10 players were struck down by major injuries within one week of the season beginning.
    "As a result we were 0-6 at the midway point and after that sort of start, you can put the glasses down."
    Admittedly, the Force did win four of its last seven matches once such stars as David Pocock, Richard Brown and Cameron Shepherd started to filter back into the side, but by then the damage had long been done.
    Reid confirmed their marquee signing for this year, Springbok five-eighth Andre Pretorius, was keen to play for the club next year to give something back to the Force after sitting out the entire season with a crippling hamstring injury.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225867449658

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    If JM does go this season then it will be no surprise as he obviousy opened the door to that possibility by announcing his departure so early. But, I would prefer to see him stay and finish the job he started. He has set us on a path now and it would be a real shame for him not to reap some reward for his efforts.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Yeah kindda feel the same - reckon that he has done the hard yards and that perhaps next year he would actually see the benefit - to be honest really can't believe how unlucky we were this year with so many injuries to key players.

Having said that though he is a professional and perhaps has to take his chances as they present.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    The Lions will have to get rid of Dick Muir first

vCash
    I hope he doesn't leave before our lunch date.......!!! Being purely selfish now...I just hope he doesn't leave before 2011....

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am going to have to disagree- he has had all the opportunity in the world to lead us to the promised land, and has fallen short each and every time. A fresh set of eyes and a new way of thinking is exactly what we need to take the next step. JM announced that he wouldn't be seeking an extension of his contract because even he could see that his days were numbered.

He has done a remarkable thing - created a club and a culture out of nothing in an environment that is far from friendly to this code of football, his one failing has been for our team to have a successful and winning season. I believe it is time for someone new to take us to the next level.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    No coach could have prevented or coped with the injuries we had this year....

vCash
    I have to say, at this point I'm fence sitting, He's done a great job for the club, but if he's interested in leaving early I don't have a huge issue with it. The last two losses have made me wonder about his supercoach abilities.

He'll be good to have, and the unknown could surely throw up a total dog, but you never know, Ewen looked like a pretty bad bet for the Reds until he got into the place and they started winning games.......they'll look good next year!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    No coach could have prevented or coped with the injuries we had this year....
    I agree completely.

But what about the 2008 and 2009 season?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I agree completely.

But what about the 2008 and 2009 season?
    spot on Ex. the league positions at the end of each season are testament to mitchells coaching ability...if someone new comes in next year it'll be down to the new coach to improve on our current ladder position....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    spot on Ex. the league positions at the end of each season are testament to mitchells coaching ability...if someone new comes in next year it'll be down to the new coach to improve on our current ladder position....
    New everything...and we have never been bottom, no matter what we have had to endure...Subi..Ugh! New club etc...etc.. etc....
    If it wasn't Mitch ..who could have done better do yu think?

vCash
    erm 2006 we were bottom.. as i recall

vCash
    2006 we finished last.... five years later we finished second last so i guess your right there is progress.....i personally feel that the ladder position at the end of each season is an accurate picture of the team for that particular season....it takes every thing in to account, pre season training, injuries, schedule, the squad that was selected at the start of each season , coaching, luck, refs decisions, weather, ect, ect, ect.....i respect mitch for what he done in setting the team up, but the results haven't been there, i wish him all the luck in his next job.... i'm sure its just around the corner....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    erm 2006 we were bottom.. as i recall
    Sorry..had a grey moment, through blue hued coloured spectacles.....You are right ofcourse.....don't tell Lonzy I'm trying to get on his table for the quiz nite with my degree from Paynes Find....I must be a shoo in..but .....

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    2006 we finished last.... five years later we finished second last so i guess your right there is progress.....i personally feel that the ladder position at the end of each season is an accurate picture of the team for that particular season....it takes every thing in to account, pre season training, injuries, schedule, the squad that was selected at the start of each season , coaching, luck, refs decisions, weather, ect, ect, ect.....i respect mitch for what he done in setting the team up, but the results haven't been there, i wish him all the luck in his next job.... i'm sure its just around the corner....
    There goes my chances for a seat your table...CHEEESH!!!! I am sure I know other stuff .....!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    .....don't tell Lonzy I'm trying to get on his table for the quiz nite !!
    the lovely lonzy, is actually female!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast