Thread: South African rugby franchise Lions in bid for Force coach John Mitchell

vCash

South African rugby franchise Lions in bid for Force coach John Mitchell

www.perthnow.com.au/sport

JOHN Mitchell is in negotiations with the Lions, and the South African rugby franchise is pushing for the Western Force to release the coach from contract as soon as possible.

A top Lions source confirmed the Johannesburg-based Super 14 side had been quietly negotiating with Mitchell during the Force's three-week trip to South Africa.

Plans have been hatched to fire the incumbent coach, Dick Muir, who had failed to win a single Super 14 game going into the final round yesterday, with the team firmly anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

But firing Muir could be tricky, as he is in the first year of a three-year contract. The Lions have been looking at possible means - performance-related and other - to offload Muir.

The man they desperately want to replace him is Mitchell, whose previous high-profile job was coach of the All Blacks.

"We are expecting a coaching position to become available. We have a high regard for John, who has a magnificent track record, and would like him to fill that post," the Lions' source said.

In his fifth season of coaching the Force, Mitchell announced earlier this year that he would not be seeking a renewal of his contract next year.

If he wants to leave, the Force may be open to releasing him as his departure would free up funds to appoint a top-quality successor.

The Lions' source said the franchise was eager to negotiate with the Force.

Ideally they would like Mitchell to be appointed in time for the start of South Africa's domestic competition, the Currie Cup, next month.

"We are working through all available dynamics and will not hesitate to appoint him if we agree terms and the Force make him available," the Lions' source said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    good luck JM....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Prefacing my comments by saying a) I have a huge amount of respect for Mitch and b) I want him to Coach the Force in 2011, it seems a little strange that the 14th team would see the way forward being to employ the Coach of the 13th team!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    bye Mitch

vCash
    I am sorry to see Mitch go, and if he goes a year early I will be most dissapointed.

We neeed some sort out planned progression to the new coaching team and we do not want to see some appointment because we are forced into it, Mitch has done the right thing by us giving us time to find the right person and we need to make the most of it.

On a lighter note, Dick Muir was part of an impressive Springbpk coaching team and did very well with the Sharks, if you could not do much with the Lions, Mitch may have a real battle on his hands.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I am sorry to see Mitch go, and if he goes a year early I will be most dissapointed.

On a lighter note, Dick Muir was part of an impressive Springbpk coaching team and did very well with the Sharks, if you could not do much with the Lions, Mitch may have a real battle on his hands.
    I will also be sorry to Mitch go, before he has the opportunity to finish what he started.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Did anyone else see that note in one of the weekend papers that the Force has apparently received about 30 expressions of interest for the coaching position, will be shortlisting in a week or two and announcing in July? The two obvious implications would seem to be that, from the timeframe, the choices must be fairly obvious (or already made) and if they are prepared to commit now they may have already come to some arrangement with Mitchell.

I just wish we could afford to keep him to establish a really top-line academy. We don't have the advantages that location afford the East Coast and really need something that can almost stand alone. I certainly wouldn't think there is much question over Mitchell's ability to develop young talent...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digging the article out, it was even more aggressive - shortlist next week, an announcement in two weeks (so they really must already know who it is, unless they think they have the worlds maddest interviewing skills), and an actual quote from Vern that "We're hopeful that we may be able to make an appointment by approximately July 1" (which sounds like the new man on the ground).

Last edited by AndyS; 16-05-10 at 17:50.

vCash
    The Lions will have to be content with 15th place again next season cause Mitchell is staying with us for another season. I just hope we don't get the 14th spot.