Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tatapu signs with Otago

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tatapu signs with Otago

Tatapu and Hill sign with Otago

Fri, 14 May 2010 9:45a.m.

Otago Rugby have confirmed today that Josh Tatapu and Joe Hill have been contracted to the Union and will join the Otago squad for the 2010 ITM Cup.
    24-year-old Tatupu is a mid-fielder who is currently playing for the Western Force in the Sport Super 14. A former Samoan league representative, he made his debut for the Western Force in 2008 against the Lions in Johannesburg. Tatapu is originally from Christchurch and still has family living in Canterbury.
    21-year-old Hill is a fullback who played for Wellington in the 2009 Air New Zealand Cup. He was a member of the unbeaten New Zealand under 20 team that won the IRB world title in Wales in 2008. He has family ties to the Otago province with family in Gore and Dunedin and also a sister studying at Otago University.
    Both players arrive in Dunedin in June to join the Otago training squad.
    Otago Coach Phil Mooney was pleased with securing the signatures of both players for the 2010 ITM Cup.
    ‘Both Josh and Joe are exciting young players who bring excellent qualities to our team. They are both ambitious and will provide depth and internal competition within our squad. I am looking forward to working with them” commented Mooney
    The ORFU Board has been working hard behind the scenes to secure additional funding to allow the Union to attract players to the province and also ensure current players can be retained.
    ‘We’ve established a fundraising committee at ORFU board level that has been working hard to secure funds that can be used directly for the procurement and retention of players’ ORFU Chairman Wayne Graham commented The Otago Rugby 1st XV has been set-up as a new sponsorship vehicle with all funds being tagged to the payment, retention and attraction of players.
    ‘The Otago Rugby 1st XV allows both individuals and businesses to make a contribution to Otago Rugby that will go directly to player development and retention. The fundraising initiative has only been in operation for four weeks, but the support from the Otago community has been great’ added Graham.
    The full Otago squad will be announced in June and then warm-up games will be played against Southland and Tasman in July as a lead in to the 2010 ITM Cup Competition.
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Tatapu-and-Hi...0/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    pity to lose him.he got a raw deal,dropped for missing a couple of tackles & never got another chance
    At least Woody wont have to travel too far to watch him play

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Must admit, I don't really see him as a starter yet, but definately a shame to see him leave as I believe he will end up a really handy player. Perhaps needs to develop a bit more confidence?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    watch his devlopment with interest... what i saw i liked

vCash
    Good luck Josh hope you find everything you deserve we'll be watching

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    He isn't that good and he was never going to be a Wallaby.

He wasn't even dominant playing for Kalamunda - just looked like another club player.

Opportunity for the Force now to replace these mercenaries with players who have definite upside for Rugby WA and the ARU.

Why do we continue to recruit players who will not eventually be in the mix for Wallaby selection? The whole idea of the Western Force was to build depth in the Australian Rugby ranks and to "grow Wallabies".

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Bit harsh, Dark.

vCash
    All the best for the future Josh

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

He wasn't even dominant playing for Kalamunda - just looked like another club player.

Opportunity for the Force now to replace these mercenaries with players who have definite upside for Rugby WA and the ARU.

Why do we continue to recruit players who will not eventually be in the mix for Wallaby selection? The whole idea of the Western Force was to build depth in the Australian Rugby ranks and to "grow Wallabies".
    id like to see how you think he is a mercenary?

vCash

So Darkness is actually a description of your attitude to life??

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Palitu, a simple example for you. Tatupo departed last week to play for a Sydney club leaving Kalamunda in the lurch. They could have done with him against Palmyra and this week against Cottesloe.

Last year the story was what a great guy he was for playing for Kalamunda. I think we've just seen his true colours.

The Force and community rugby in Perth needs to be purged of these mercaneries.

Timbo, sorry but sometimes the truth needs to be put on the table. With these guys departing there is an opportunity to recruit more wisely (see, a positive spin!).

Last edited by Darkness; 14-05-10 at 12:59.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    virtually all the Force players not in the main squad are plying their trade in the sydney comp,so there is nothing unusual there.Rugby WA's policy of requiring these players play in the local comp appears to have gone out of the window in the past couple of years

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yep Gunny, a bit harsh blaming the players.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    Palitu, a simple example for you. Tatupo departed last week to play for a Sydney club leaving Kalamunda in the lurch. They could have done with him against Palmyra and this week against Cottesloe.

Last year the story was what a great guy he was for playing for Kalamunda. I think we've just seen his true colours.
    so, he left last week, after playing all of last year (when he could have gone to sydney) and also knowing that he would not be playing in perth any more...

Im guessing that you have never had a player play for you one year then play for another club the next?? It happens all the time in perth club rugby, why is this different?

if he was an established player, over here due to a great pay packet, then i could justify you saying he is a mercenary, but he is a developing player, that wasnt here for the dosh...

vCash
    I suspect we can thank Dingo Deans for the focus on Sydney club rugby for academy and 'second string' players.
    I doubt if this would be happening if we had a second tier the comp below Super 14/15

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast