Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tatapu signs with Otago

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You're not linking Deans to the demise of the ARC though are you MI5???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    I think we are all in agreement re the 2nd tier competition. All those except the Sydney Comp boys.

The Sydney Competition has its own problems at present with a very lopsided competition. More fall out on this as the season progresses I suspect.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is a bit of a pity, but not unexpected. This was the year of opportunities for him to stick his hand up and he didn't really show himself ready for a regular Super gig. To be honest, I thought DHP fell into the same category and wonder whether he would be doing the same were he not local...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    You're not linking Deans to the demise of the ARC though are you MI5???
    Nah, nothing like that Burgs. I think Deans wanted to make sure that potential internationals got access to a decent level of competition in an attempt to develop them, especially if they weren't getting time in the Super 14/15 comp. Since there is no 'second teir' and the Sydney comp is arguably the best 'local' comp in Aus then it becomes the only place to blood new talent.

The problem with this is that our local comp becomes less competitive as a result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    virtually all the Force players not in the main squad are plying their trade in the sydney comp,so there is nothing unusual there.Rugby WA's policy of requiring these players play in the local comp appears to have gone out of the window in the past couple of years
    More than just out the window.....Kieran was reportedly hating playing and living in Sydney and would've given his right arm to come back home, but needed to stay there for his 'rugby future'

At least that's what I heard, Maybe Josh was directed to the Sydney club scene Darko!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Palitu, a simple example for you. Tatupo departed last week to play for a Sydney club leaving Kalamunda in the lurch. They could have done with him against Palmyra and this week against Cottesloe.

Last year the story was what a great guy he was for playing for Kalamunda. I think we've just seen his true colours.

The Force and community rugby in Perth needs to be purged of these mercaneries.

Timbo, sorry but sometimes the truth needs to be put on the table. With these guys departing there is an opportunity to recruit more wisely (see, a positive spin!).
    You should be honored every time he plays for your club. He is way to good for the WA comp and would probably develop faster if he played all those games that he did for kala, in the Sydney comp with the tahs and brumbies reserve players.

And saying we should only recruit guys who will make it into the wallabies, while saying we need to recruit guys who can play club rugby all year round is a bit hypocritical

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe I've had one or two too many to drink but why exactly does this article mean he isn't playing for the Force in the future?

He hasn't signed on the Highlanders he's signed on for Otago in the ANZC hasn't he? So he could still play in the Super 14 for the Force.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Well, yeah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It is a bit of a pity, but not unexpected. This was the year of opportunities for him to stick his hand up and he didn't really show himself ready for a regular Super gig. To be honest, I thought DHP fell into the same category and wonder whether he would be doing the same were he not local...
    Spot on AndyS. Totally agreed on all counts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Maybe I've had one or two too many to drink but why exactly does this article mean he isn't playing for the Force in the future?

He hasn't signed on the Highlanders he's signed on for Otago in the ANZC hasn't he? So he could still play in the Super 14 for the Force.
    James Parsons and Northland would have been a similar case and we didn't get him

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was wondering that a little too James.
    I realise that they wouldn't want to be spruiking about losing players, but I feel the Force have always been a bit slack on keeping the Members, if not wider fanbase, up to date on player movements.
    If you are reading folks, I think two valuable additions to your website, even if in a Members only area, would be a injury list including return to fitness status and a contract status list (ie date signed, club contracted from, number of seasons contracted, number of seasons remaining and Full v Academy, date depated, club contracted to etc).

Last edited by Burgs; 15-05-10 at 11:49.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    James Parsons and Northland would have been a similar case and we didn't get him
    I'm afraid not GIGS- very different. I don't know where he was born but Josh Tatupu, on the basis of the last 3 years residency, is eligible for the Wallabies. James Parsons is not and wouldn't be for three years. Parsons couldn't be signed because the rules of a development marquee players are such that the player needs to stay in Australia and play in a local comp (whether that's an element of residency or just the ARU's rule I don't know).

There seems to be no valid reason why a Force player couldn't play in the ANZC and then return to the Force the next year. In our first season the Force were keen to get Tim Davidson over playing in the NZ comp and although the ARU were really pissed off there wasn't anything they could do. For the record, Davidson didn't end up going.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    OK

C'mon the

vCash
    Thanks to those that made pleasant comments about Josh. I know he will miss Perth and the friends he made there very much.
    Let me assure those others that may consider him a mercenary,....... he is not. He played in Sydney because he was told to. Most people would prefer not to fly across the country and play with guys you don't really know, haven't trained with, stay in a motel and fly home after a game, however they do because their employer tells them to.
    Regardless, the Sydney top club comp is well above that of the WA.
    Josh's manager was approached by EWF initially as cover for Junior. This year I thought he would get a little more time, sadly that didn't occur and he needs to be playing a the highest level he is capable of. The New Zeand NPC is only a snip below S14 and has a fantastic following as it has that provenical feel that S14 lacks.
    I for one will find it hard to support Otago (EWF was easy to support).
    Rest assured that Josh has enjoyed his time in WA but needs to be playing. Remember that he has always been a gentlemen and been a good advertisemet for all that is wholesome about our game.
    I will still wear my WF colours with pride and have thoroughly enjoyed this site. Take care one and all and I'll be watching with interest.

vCash
    so your activity will reduce now that Josh isn't around?

bloody Mercenary

C'mon the

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast