Thread: 15 Wins Not Good Enough

vCash

15 Wins Not Good Enough

First off, let me say thank you for all of the support offered to Fresno RFC. Secondly, I am proud of my team mates for what was an extraordinary season of rugby. The Pacific Coast Playoffs began well for us, as we soundly beat Valley RFC of Seattle Washington, 49-22. Next before us were the host club, Snake River, in a match played 24 hours after our first. In fairness, Snake River had also played on Saturday. Fresno played a flat first 40 minutes, trailing 0-15 at intermission. The first 15 minutes of the second half, however, became much more lively as we were able to tighten up at the fringe of the ruck (something that Snake River had punished us for in the first 40), leading to more ball, which gave our half backs a chance to distribute, punching holes in the Snake's defense, leading to 2 tries. A nasty crosswind prevented either side from kicking well on the conversions, but the Snakes did manage two penalty kicks, taking a 10-21 lead with about 18 minutes remaining. Fresno was able to win ball, and put together several phases of clean, quick ball, scoring a third try in the second half with 15 minutes left. At 15-21 it was anyone's match, and for the next 6 minutes Fresno dominated play, the forwards controlling the breakdown, backs taking care of the ball. Fresno steadily advanced, and with 9 minutes left, were on the verge of another try. But it simply was not to be. 3 meters from the line, a pass was missed, then a knock. All momentum was lost. Snake River cleared their lines, took control, and scored another try with less than 4 minutes. Final score: 15-26 Snake River. Full credit to them. They played, and won, on Saturday and Sunday. My only grievance is that 2 clubs, from our own NorCal Division, both of whom that we had beaten, were able to advance as a result of having won their Saturday games ONLY. These clubs, Santa Rosa and San Francisco Golden Gate, were #3 and #2 seats. As #1, Fresno had to run the gauntlet. Hats off to Snake River, however. I hope they win it all, from their #5 seat. Here's a link to a USA Rugby mag questioning the NorCal: http://www.rugbymag.com/news/clubs/m...t-paradox.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by thunderchicken9; 11-05-10 at 14:30.
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Bizarre. Being penalised for finishing first ? Moral victory for Fresno...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!