Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Izzy going to the World Cup?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Izzy going to the World Cup?

Izzy going to the World Cup?

PHIL LUTTON
    April 27, 2010 - 6:24PM

Once upon a time, the thought of a league player breezing into rugby union on an over-inflated contract was met with reprehension by purebloods of the 15-man game.

Not anymore, it seems. With Brisbane Broncos star Israel Folau rumoured to be code-jumping courtesy of a whopping $1 million-per-season deal at new Super 15 side the Melbourne Rebels, one of the game's best servants in Queensland says the giant centre would be welcomed with open arms into the brotherhood of union.

Not only that, Reds fullback and Wallaby regular Peter Hynes thinks the athletic Folau could progress fast enough to be in Robbie Deans' plans for the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

Folau has until Friday to inform the Broncos of his future movements. He has a bail-out clause in his contract he can activate by April 30, otherwise he will be expected to complete his remaining two years at Red Hill.

But the signs are looking gloomy for the Broncos. After initially telling reporters he wanted to stay in Brisbane for the longterm, his tone has changed dramatically in recent weeks, with most predicting he will put an end to his $1.6 million deal in coming days.

Rumours of family unrest, a desire to avoid the spotlight at the Broncos and unabashed interest from the Rebels is adding up to a ticket out of town for the Queensland and Australian three-quarter.

Hynes, also in the midst of contract negotiations, said Folau should take the big money if it was being offered and had no doubts he would be a success in rugby.

"Good luck to him. If he can get that (money), then good on him. If they're willing to pay, if they think he's worth it, by all means," Hynes said.

"They've got a tough job of building a team down there. If they have to pay that sort of money for a player like him, it's only going to help our game. It extends our game in Melbourne and he's obviously got a following down there. Good on him.

"Big, strong powerful guy. Some great skills. His aerial work in unbelievable. I think he'll be a good player. I think he's a pretty good buy."

Good enough to be in the framework for the World Cup within 12 months? Hynes thinks so and given Folau's freakish skills and daunting 195cm, 102kg physique, there's little reason why he won't be a hit should he adapt to the new rules.

"It would be a steep learning curve in a year to try and make the Wallabies and play in a World Cup, but he probably could do it," Hynes said.

While most of Queensland's contract speculation has been centred around the 2011 whereabouts of Quade Cooper, Hynes is a crucial key to the Reds puzzle and has indicated he wants to remain at Ballymore next season.

The 27-year-old has been an unsung hero as the Reds return to the winner's circle. He has embraced the running game with vigour, barely putting boot to ball, and has proven a constant handful charging back into the defence.

He has previously been unhappy at the pace of negotiations with the ARU but says things are progressing well, perhaps indicating he will spend one more season at the Reds with a view to the World Cup.

"Things are progressing pretty well. I'm pretty happy here. We're doing it on the field, which counts. I'm in the process of weighing it up at the moment," Hynes said.

"I've been here for some leans years. Now we're starting to build something pretty speical. There's a young group of boys playing really well. I think we're going to be very strong in the near future."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    How the hell does Israel Folau get a million bucks a season with no third party and no (announced) ARU top-up?

Or are Melbourne bending the rules?

Surely the same guys who were livid at the Force approaching Quade will launch into this discussion with equal ferfour!

C'mon the

vCash
    I agree completely. Something stinks here - not the least of which is the ARU top up for an untested, lumbering Mungo who may prove to be very ordinary in the 15 man game. Frankly, he looks good under a high ball but a lot of the package is quite ordinary, including speed, defence etc.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apart from the money conversation, I'd like to see him play a match or two, there have been things I have seen him do that I'd love to see if he can do similar in Union.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd do like the thought of him at the Rebels - although I hope that $1 million figure is just exaggerated speculation.

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Harold Mitchell is saying it is an exaggeration according to a report I just read.

Last edited by beige; 28-04-10 at 18:54.

vCash
    Crossover is always valuable, I only complain when said crossover doesn't have to prove himself, or even perform for 5 years of Wallabies contracts.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Its not $1 million. More like $600,000 with 3rd party deals bringing it to around $800,000/season.

vCash
    I'm trying to piece together a sum from articles I've read - not doing very well... $140 000 from the Rebels, $100 000 from the ARU. Then I read something about match payments which must be where the $600 000 figure comes from?

Last edited by beige; 29-04-10 at 21:41.

vCash
    The NRL footy show over here says there are rumours that he approached the AFL 3 weeks ago and could be signed for the new western Sydney team.

Too slow for AFL I reckon.

vCash
    Todays West Australaian had an interview that said he was possibly in line for an ARU top up of $100,000 if he were to sign with the Rebels
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    He's chosen not to activate his Broncos contract extension but no word on a rugby deal yet...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225860391500

vCash
    according to my dad he's gone to AFL...

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Nobody's said anything either way yet

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Didn't realise Ealsey was involved?