Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pretorius wants to be stay the Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pretorius wants to be stay the Force

Pretorius wants to be stay the Force

NICK TAYLOR JOHANNESBURG, The West Australian May 4, 2010, 7:09 am

WA News / Mal Fairclough © Enlarge photo

Western Force marquee signing Andre Pretorius, his season ended before it began by a serious hamstring injury, wants the chance to repay the club.

The Force have made no secret that they are chasing Reds playmaker Quade Cooper but their chances are slim.

Former Springbok Pretorius is well aware that the Force is looking for an on-field general for the long term, but would not hesitate if they asked him to stay and jump start his career.

"I'd sign in a heartbeat if they gave me a contract again but I understand the dilemma they are in with my situation," he said.

Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy, who met Pretorius' manager in Johannesburg, said last week that a line had not been drawn through the 31-year-old for next season.

"I don't have any expectations although there is a certain amount of hope. I'd love to stay," Pretorius said.

"I know they are looking for Quade but I'll have a chat, see what they offer and take it from there."

Pretorius was back in Johannesburg last week for his first visit since signing with the Force and saw his new side victorious 33-12 at Ellis Park.

"The big reason I'd really like to stay is that I only got to wear the jersey once (in a pre-season game) and I didn't get to wear it in Super 14," Pretorius said.

"It's not about anything other than me wanting to play with the guys I have become mates with and being part of the club.

"It never felt like I was injured because I was always part of the team.

"They pulled me in, made me a part of the team and I'm grateful for that."

Pretorius ripped the hamstring from the bone of his left leg on the eve of this year's Super 14 season. He had signed a one-year deal and expected to move on to Japan.

That door has been closed because of his injury.

"If you look at the pre-season I had it was, probably the best pre-season I had of my whole career," he said.

"It was just so anti-climatic that I never got to perform and show what I could do."
    He has had talks with clubs in France and one back in his home country.

"At the moment my focus is just getting the leg right. I think the rest will take care of itself," he said.

"I'm in a bit of a chicken and egg situation at the moment.

"I'm looking to broaden my horizons, maybe go to Europe or maybe come back to South Africa.

"There are options but I'd like to stay and play with the boys."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...tay-the-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought this was another saffer article, with that title.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    (sic) The West....

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Is there a definition published somewhere for a "Marquee Player"?

If we can get Andre cheap (no way he can charge what he did last year) - surely his experience can be passed on to our younger backs. And that can only be a benefit to the team.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Provided he can pass a thorough extreme physical then the reasons he was going to be good in 2010 still stand up in 2011 and (assuming we don't get Cooper) our alternatives currently at the Club aren't real alternatives as yet.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    it would be good to have a genuine 10 (no offense to hill) for next season, thoguh, he better keep his body together...

vCash
    "It's not about anything other than me wanting to play with the guys I have become mates with and being part of the club.

"It never felt like I was injured because I was always part of the team.

"They pulled me in, made me a part of the team and I'm grateful for that."

They're the kind of reasons you'd like to hear from a player wanting to stay. Not a bad plan "B", providing there's a decent discount involved. Should the worst happen - again - we could always try sending another SOS to David Hill. Could do a lot worse than that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Is there a definition published somewhere for a "Marquee Player"?
    Someone ineligible to ever play for Australia.

vCash
    Andre would not be a bad option, David Hill is contracted in Japan and unlikely to return, Cooper unlikley to come across, the Brumbies have tied up their youngsters for next year Toomua, Liliafano. Not many other flyhalves running around that are available for next year, and JOC still needs a mentor and Hunt should start closing in by end of next year.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    The other rumour is that Jimmy Hilgendorf has been released by his club - I think thats in another thread. He is far preferable to Pretorius.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    David Hill is contracted in Japan and unlikely to return,
    As he was this season, with Toshiba - he was only available after their season ended. He is signed with them for a further 2 years. I agree a return is unlikely and would require a "loan" from Toshiba. That's why I said S.O.S.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    not forgetting Brock James

Top points scorer in France in his first season.

Broke the record for the number of sequential successful place kicks (forty something !) in his second and had another good season in France.

and not forgetting he was the guy that first scored any points for the Force in the very first match

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    not forgetting Brock James

Top points scorer in France in his first season.

Broke the record for the number of sequential successful place kicks (forty something !) in his second and had another good season in France.

and not forgetting he was the guy that first scored any points for the Force in the very first match
    Trial match penalty try conversion? Scott Daruda scored the first points for us against the Brumbies.

Also not forgetting he's said he won't be looking to come back to Australia for at least the next 2 years.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if we had Pretorius again. Surely he can't miss the whole season again. If they started training JOC as a 10/12 and leave the 15 to Shepherd/Bartholomeusz/DHP it would be alright.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    lets talk about the guys who are a realistic chance of returning next year. Brock has already said he is happy in France and has no plans to come back... he wouldve been our best option but hes not available.....

Hilgendorf has quoted his contract as the reason not to come back but recent developments on that front could make him a Target again.

I wasnt aware that Pretorius had lost his cotract either so he is most definitely another option for next year if he can get his fitness up and prove he can cope after such a bad injury.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post

Depends on if you call the first match the first Super 14 match, or the first match the team played, because the very first points scored for the Force was thanks to a penalty try against the Lions in the pre season match of 2006!

If that news about Jimmy H being released is true, let's find some unnamed sauces!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast