Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perth Premier Rugby worst for 10 years

Rookie
    vCash
    Well done to Daelyn. The more younger guys the better that take up the whistle.

Takes years to develop a good ref and one simple act of abuse can put these guys off track. Hopefully the young man you refer to follows through.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    In other words Ecky, you agree that the refereeing standard has slipped because of the loss of senior referees between seasons etc.

Pity you're on your way out!
    I couldn't comment specifically on this season to date as I have not seen any senior rugby, with the exception of the Cott v Academy match, which Julian & James shared anyway.

I do think though, that last year's top 10 ranked refs were of a higher overall standard than previously was the case. I know that the referees' appointments folk had those two as clear #1 and 2 with daylight 3rd, if you see what I mean. I personally didn't share that view last season. But then I was in that top 10 and we all think our abilities are superior to everyone else's don't we?

In seeing the appointments so far this year, I am confident in the abilities of all of the Premier Grade appointees. There has been one or two "newbies" who wouldn't have got appointed if they didn't show a fair bit of ability in 2nds and U/20. There is one young-ish and new-ish ref who debuted in Premier last season who, in my view, still needs a fair bit of work to get him to #3 spot, but still eminently capable.

I also know that there is one Premier coach who rates James Sherriff way, way, way above Julian Pritchard, but then I imagine his team has had better results under James. Either way, rugby in WA is fortunate to have those two highly-skilled and highly-experienced refs among its ranks; something never experienced here before ever. (Yes, granted, we did have Lyndon Bray here in his early years, but we taught him the basics of the craft and he then honed his skills over the ditch)

.......and who said I'm on my way out anyway?

Last edited by Ecky; 05-05-10 at 22:16.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    But then I was in that top 10
    Hahahahahahahah No way?

Our refs must be worse than first thought

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    yeah Ecky you are rubbish

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    Aussie Mack, how long have you been watching WA club rugby?

It's difficult to compare eras but in my opinion the current standard of club rugby has never been higher. The Western Force have helped raise the profile and the standard of club play and the number and quality of players coming into the state have been very beneficial to the game, although some clubs have indulged and benefited more than others.

Some clubs are trying to develop purely local talent and while this is a must for a sustainable rugby future, it means they will struggle to match the standards of imported players in the short term.

I can't agree with your comment about second grade sides. The better second grade sides aren't putting too many cricket scores on their opposition second grades so I find it hard to believe they would be capable of "smashing" that club's first grade side.

And as for the referees -- WA refereeing is always going to be criticised, firstly because eveyone loves to bag the refs, and secondly because while clubs import better players, no one is willing to pay to import better referees. Overall I think they're doing a reasonably good job and I have been impressed with what I've seen of the refereeing coaching process.

Personally, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in refereeing when my own club is not involved! People who accuse refs of bias are more likely to be guilty of that failing themselves.

vCash
    Nice post Rick

Sadly there are far too many multisyllabic aspects of your post which will preclude some members' ability to read, much less comprehend, but nice post anyway!

vCash
    Nice post Rick

Sadly there are far too many multisyllabic aspects of your post which will preclude some members' ability to read, much less comprehend, but nice post anyway!
    Huh?

Multisywhatsit?
    Comprewho?
    Read?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Play on...play on!!!"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Nice post Rick

Fanks, mate.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    This after 4 rounds of competition?

Which 4 games have you been to see so far?

Have you seen the "top 2nd grade sides"? Have you seen Uni, Wests, Rocky and Baysie?
    soaks vs kala . soaks vs uni Cott vs Rocky Cott vs Uni

I haved seen all teams play but soaks and cotts seconds "top 2nd graders" would give rocky and baysie a hidding and give wests and Uni a real crack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Huh?

Multisywhatsit?
    Comprewho?
    Read?
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Fanks, mate.
    Wasn't aimed at either of you....

Sadly, those to who it was aimed will have absolutley no idea - for the same reason I posted it

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd View Post
    Aussie Mack, how long have you been watching WA club rugby?

It's difficult to compare eras but in my opinion the current standard of club rugby has never been higher. The Western Force have helped raise the profile and the standard of club play and the number and quality of players coming into the state have been very beneficial to the game, although some clubs have indulged and benefited more than others.

Some clubs are trying to develop purely local talent and while this is a must for a sustainable rugby future, it means they will struggle to match the standards of imported players in the short term.

I can't agree with your comment about second grade sides. The better second grade sides aren't putting too many cricket scores on their opposition second grades so I find it hard to believe they would be capable of "smashing" that club's first grade side.

And as for the referees -- WA refereeing is always going to be criticised, firstly because eveyone loves to bag the refs, and secondly because while clubs import better players, no one is willing to pay to import better referees. Overall I think they're doing a reasonably good job and I have been impressed with what I've seen of the refereeing coaching process.

Personally, I have noticed a remarkable improvement in refereeing when my own club is not involved! People who accuse refs of bias are more likely to be guilty of that failing themselves.
    Rick i been here in Perth for 14 years , and i stand by view and belive soaks and cott 2nds would easily beat bayswater who i have never seen so woeful and rocky who are just as bad.
    The Force have done in my view piss all in the last two years and young guys such as young berryman from kala are now heading east again to try and crack it good luck to them and will probaly be playing with or against the rest of the force players they now sent over there.
    The 1st grade comp will spilt into 2 groups like they used to big 5 days ,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by auzzie mack View Post
    i stand by view and belive soaks and cott 2nds would easily beat bayswater who i have never seen so woeful and rocky who are just as bad.
    Rocky aren't bad, they just can't tackle for sh1t!

vCash
    Stop whinging about the qualitiy of rugby and reffing. You only have to look at how tough it is to reach first grade to see how good the competition is.

Or i guess you could not look at any factors and just asume everyone is crap at everything.

Rookie
    vCash
    Keep the club rugby in Aus in perspective.

In NZ & SA, they go into domestic comp post S14. In Aus, the Sydney comp is seen in high regard by Sydneysiders, and for non Wallaby pros, the 'only' rugby available. That does not compare with Currie Cup/ANZ Cup.

In Perth the comp has improved significantly in the last 10 years. However, rugby here has been done an injusitce by the fact that contracted players are allowed to play East. Poor call by the powers that be!!

To state that Rocky/Perth would lose to the Soaks/Cott 2nds really is off the mark and quite frankly irrelevant. Soaks record @ Rocky @ 1st grade in the last few years [when they have belted them @ Allen Park] has been woeful!

Long season lies ahead mate!!! Teams are up and down, Pally & Wanneroo a classic example. Hey, 2 years ago, Cott were in the bottom half of the ladder.

Very easy to generalize from the side. Why the continious bagging from the side about how sides perform. Not even healthy ribbing- most of the comments here are quite petty, spiteful and misinformed.

Teams have good years, bad years, good days, bad days- that is in many sports world wide. All run by many people just doing their best!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast