Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: NRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Opposition teams will only get the competition points if they win. The Bulldogs continued with an "illegal team" in 2002 but they were able to gain competition points but that breach was discovered late season so the NRL were able to just strip them of point accrued to that date which was 37 points.
    You'd have to think that the Sharks, Knights, Panthers and Dragons would be a bit pissed about it all though.

I am glad that the NRL is not retrospectively awarding Premierships for 2007 and 2009 (Manly and Parramatta) because this goes beyond two games
    Yeah agreed there for sure.
    And if nothing else the gap in the record will leave a permanent reminder too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I am glad that the NRL is not retrospectively awarding Premierships for 2007 and 2009 (Manly and Parramatta) because this goes beyond two games
    The Sydney press would cream themselves if Parramatta was awarded last year's premiership. My understanding is the respective CEOs have accepted the decision though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Wonder what the Leeds Rhino's have to say about it all (defeated for the World Club Championship '09)?
    That (the WCC) is a bit of a ho-hum, even for Mungo supporters. But I suppose Leeds would have a legitimate claim to any prize money the Storm might have won.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone looking for a good 5/8 could do worse than getting on the phone to Cooper Cronk.
    Australian Schoolboy rugby representative is none too shabby - it's been 10 years since he's been in the code though... Be interesting to find out the contract status of some of these players now...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "Major sponsor ME Bank has cut ties with the Melbourne Storm, as chairman Rob Moodie urged fans to stick by the club through its salary cap crisis."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/2881062.htm

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    like rats off a sinking ship... a shame really

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    She's a Storm alright, a shit storm!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Major sponsor ME Bank has cut ties with the Melbourne Storm
    Reckon they can throw some of those dollars at our stadium instead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    You'd have to think that the Sharks, Knights, Panthers and Dragons would be a bit pissed about it all though.
    I don't know about the other teams but the Dragons shot themselves in the foot on Good Friday. Bastards just kept dropping the ball any time they looked like mounting some serious pressure on Melbourne's line

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That (the WCC) is a bit of a ho-hum, even for Mungo supporters. But I suppose Leeds would have a legitimate claim to any prize money the Storm might have won.
    English Super League doesn't have a Salery Cap so it shouldn't be an issue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    St Kilda firm in wooden spoon betting one day after Melbourne Storm did

By Tim Habel, April 23, 2010

St Kilda have firmed dramatically from $1000-1 to $5 second favourite on betting agency Betfair to win the AFL wooden spoon this year.

The dramatic change comes after similar betting patterns on Melbourne Storm for the NRL wooden spoon on Thursday, just hours before they were exposed for breaching the salary cap.

Former Melbourne CEO Brian Waldron, the man at the centre of the Storm controversy, was St Kilda CEO from 2002-2004.

St Kilda's value has drifted but at one stage it was as low as $5.

St Kilda reiterated on Friday morning that it had complied with all AFL audits.

“We have a close working relationship with the AFL, including with the TPP and Assurance Department, headed by Ken Wood. The AFL player payment audit processes are incredibly thorough and most professional,” Saints CEO Michael Nettlefold said in a statement.

“Under the Greg Westaway Board, St Kilda Football Club have corporate governance protocols that we believe are amongst the highest standards in the AFL.

“Should the AFL feel it necessary to review any of the previous work undertaken with St Kilda Football Club, in any form, we would be fully supportive.”

“It should be noted that we also work very closely with independent audit firm Grant Thornton, who provide audit services to a number of AFL Clubs. A critical part of their engagement is, and will continue to be, audit work as it relates to total player payments.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    This, to me, extends past the current Storm storm. It is a part of an opinion on that matter, posted here: http://sportal.com.au/league-opinion...the-code-89964

"It's one thing to dislike the opposition because they are the opposition, it's quite something else to belittle, dismiss and even undermine their every effort because you don't approve of their existence."

Familiar?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    T'is B&B..

What hit home was, "There is no doubt that anti-Melbourne sentiment remains rife within NRL circles in the northern states, Australian sport's equivalent of racism. The attitude is that we New South Welshmen and Queenslanders are the true and original owners and custodians of the game, and anyone who is not from here simply isn't welcome."

Different team, different code but sure sounds familiar..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Different team, different code but sure sounds familiar..
    Yes it does. But, to be fair, the Vics treat all the other states with equal contempt in all things AFL. Demitriou would have to be the second most arrogant sports CEO in the country.

Last edited by shasta; 23-04-10 at 13:37.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    T'is B&B..

The attitude is that we New South Welshmen and Queenslanders are the true and original owners and custodians of the game
    I strongly hope not.

Some residents in the North of England may disagree.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5