Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New look Palmyra Has Unfinsihed Business - Round 2 'Match of the Round'

vCash

New look Palmyra Has Unfinsihed Business - Round 2 'Match of the Round'

Palmyra and Associates both have unfinished business from last season in the background at Tompkins Park in Saturday's RugbyWA club competition match of the round, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Associates ran red hot through the early rounds of 2009 and led the competition approaching mid-season, only to fall away in the later stages and miss the finals. The young Soaks team has attacking talent to burn and will be looking for a step up this year as definite finalist contenders.

Palmyra won the 2009 minor premiership and raced into the grand final on an exciting brand of open, running rugby only to fall badly at the final hurdle against Cottesloe. Rumours of mass player defections seemed set to return Paly to their familiar boom and bust cycle, finalists one year and wooden spooners the next.

But anyone expecting to add Palmyra to their list of easy wins may be in for a surprise. High player turnover there has been but the numbers and calibre of Paly's new recruits should see the Melville unit going from strength to strength.

Top of the list has been Perth-Bayswater's premiership-winning coach, the highly regarded John Taylor from Picton, New Zealand.

The player losses have been costly – inside centre Konelio Feaunati, fullback Tajhon Mailata and flyhalf Quentin Austin have all left the club. Number eight Flip Manu has returned to Brisbane and lock Kiti Fuluna has yet to start training. The injury list is also extensive -- lock Chris Rankin is recovering from a knee injury, and halfback Dave Serukai and flanker Jerry Viriki have both suffered Achilles tendon injuries.

But on the other side of the ledger, incoming talent is impressive. Centre/wing Maia King joins the team from Marlborough, New Zealand, utility inside back Sam Moon and loose forward Jarel Te Kahu have followed JT from Perth-Bayswater, and flyhalf Eruera Haimona joins the club from the NZ Bay of Plenty NPC team. Other new arrivals include halfback Dallas McLaren from Brisbane, captain and number eight Anare Koliavu from Wellington NZ, lock Jake Ball, flanker Harley from Auckland NZ, ex-NZ schools prop Zac Williams, and ex-NZ Under 20s hooker Nathan Fotuali'i.

There is no doubting the potential of a stellar lineup such as this but with some of the arrivals missing the pre-season, Taylor's main headache is getting the team to form combinations quickly enough to be in striking distance of the top half of the table later in the year.

“We only had one training together before we played Nedlands, and it showed,” Taylor said.

“There's undoubted talent there, the challenge for us is gelling and getting the game plan that suits us.”

Taylor aims for a complete team performance with the players at his disposal, adding threatening ball-winning potential up front to the exciting attacking skills that were Paly's hallmark in 2009.

Palmyra lost 40-21 to a slick Nedlands team in the opening round, but the score didn't reflect the game, Taylor claims.

“We had the better of the second half, and they had a couple of lucky tries,” Taylor said.

“But having said that, Nedlands look very slick and very professional.

“They shot out of the blocks and were ten points up after six or seven minutes.

“We kept making mistakes, and compounding them, and by half time the contest was over.”

Last Saturday's 24-3 win over a young Wests-Subiaco team didn't offer too many indicators of Palmyra's progress but Taylor paid tribute to the opposition for their commitment.

“They were very tenacious. They have a lot of young guys but they tackle their hearts out,” he said.

“We put a lot of pressure on them but we didn't capitalise on all our chances – we blew about four tries.

“But we did what we had to do to win.”

Taylor expects a stern test against Associates with possession the key.

“They'll be fast and fit and furious, like they usually are,” Taylor said.

“There's no secret about playing Associates. You have to win that first phase ball and get over the advantage line.

“We're getting better at every training, we've just got to make sure we win our ball.

“I know Soaks will be efficient at the breakdown, so we've got to make sure we get our physicality right.

“I'm just hopeful we can make progress.”

Taylor says he is aware that big things will be expected from the new look Palmyra team after coming so close in 2009, but his concern is with the task ahead.

“There's a hollow feeling that they didn't go all the way,” Taylor said.

“But that was last year. This is a completely new team and we have to find our own way of playing.

“Our immediate goal is to win a few games now so we're not playing catch-up later in the season.

“The ultimate aim is to get into the finals – then that's a new competition.”

In other games, Kalamunda will want to continue their impressive winning start to the season against University at Hartfield, Nedlands will expect few troubles against Wests-Subiaco at Sir Charles Court Reserve, Wanneroo will hope to return to the winners' circle against a struggling Perth-Bayswater at Kingsway and Cottesloe may be in for an interesting battle with Rockingham at Harvey Field.

- Rick Boyd

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58088.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Number eight Flip Manu has returned to Brisbane"

Is that just at Club level or totally Fulv?
    That is, has he dropped his Academy contract?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash

vCash
    Lots of All Black triallists in that lot, by the look.

vCash
    In other news, Action Hardcore is to make his runon debut at No 10 for Kala this week, boy we're in trouble

GRAB YOUR MATE!

vCash
    Scoring tries and shipping steel boy you know what I'm about

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "Number eight Flip Manu has returned to Brisbane"

Is that just at Club level or totally Fulv?
    That is, has he dropped his Academy contract?
    no long a force listed player. from word on the street he got downgraded and spat chips

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Did he wait to read it in the season guide...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What a disgrace that a club has to import so much talent. Should the WARU align itself with the NZRU?

Why should any local club bother spending the time and effort to bring local talent through when those players will get shafted by an import at the first opportunity. It also devalues the club in the community and reduces the talent pool of WA players trying to make it into the Force.

You wonder why players jump clubs en-mass, there is your reason. No loyalty, no passion for the club. As a supporter I could not follow a team where none of the players have worked through the hard times and put some time and effort into building the club rather than show up for a cheque. The WARU should oversee the importing of international players.

I know Paly aren't the only club but that entire story has listed half a team of imports as the clubs only strength.

I have been on the east coast for a long time now but have alwsy followed the WA game as much as possible. It doesn't seem worth it if that is the way the clubs are running it now.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Same could probably be said for Sydney Uni though Homer.
    Would be nice if we had the depth to match the 150 starting positions each week but would seem that isn't the case and Clubs are continually having to weigh up results over development.
    Personally, and maybe it is coming from the bush where such things are more important, I would be inclined to focus on development and let results and retention take care of themselves, it's not as if you can get relegated or anything...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I am not a fan of what Sydney Uni does either and I know a lot of players are getting sick of being relegated for rep players who show up once a month at best.

Subbies rugby in Sydney is the same and had a real problem with the 'rent a premiership' debacle for a while with a group of players running between clubs. In the end the cost wasn't worth it because you may be false premiers one year but when they all leave you are out of pocket, out of players, have no depth and no loyalty from the players and supporters.

If the depth isn't in the system then an import quota or a transfer quota should be introduced like in the sydney comp.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Absolutely. Same thing happened (and I am sure continues to happen) in our local country Aussie Rules comp. Took the Club involved about ten years, basically a generation of players and parents to forgive and forget, to get back on track.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    What a disgrace that a club has to import so much talent. Should the WARU align itself with the NZRU?

Why should any local club bother spending the time and effort to bring local talent through when those players will get shafted by an import at the first opportunity. It also devalues the club in the community and reduces the talent pool of WA players trying to make it into the Force.

You wonder why players jump clubs en-mass, there is your reason. No loyalty, no passion for the club. As a supporter I could not follow a team where none of the players have worked through the hard times and put some time and effort into building the club rather than show up for a cheque. The WARU should oversee the importing of international players.

I know Paly aren't the only club but that entire story has listed half a team of imports as the clubs only strength.

I have been on the east coast for a long time now but have alwsy followed the WA game as much as possible. It doesn't seem worth it if that is the way the clubs are running it now.
    so youd rather watch kids that are too young or guys that arent good enough playing 1st grade and getting smashed? ull find that clubs have strategies in place to develop the young talent without over exposing them. so before you start having a go at my club know the facts first!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Absolutely. Same thing happened (and I am sure continues to happen) in our local country Aussie Rules comp.
    Similar thing happened in the Pilbara about 25 years ago when the NW Shelf construction started. The local AFL clubs had loads of sponsorship cash to splash around and the kids coming through couldn't get a kick. So a few blokes from the local Mungo club grabbed 'em and taught them a new game. Turned out to be some of the best players to represent that club and went on to play RL and RU for many years. I see one of them turn up regularly at the Bowlo nowdays.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    It's interesting that of all those mentioned in Boyd's article, only four of the new recruits were actually recruited! Two others were mates of two of the four recruited who came over with them, and the others simply arrived on our doorstep.

We have an open door policy, unlike some other clubs, and we were more than happy to make them welcome.

And Jake Ball is Dave Ball's son, you know, the Palmyra coach for the past two seasons for Cris' sake, and is a member of the Force junior academy. We do produce a few of our own you know, we just don't get all sanctimonious about it.

And just for the information of a few of the big mouth cretins around here, 10 of our first 15 run on players this weekend have been with the club for three seasons or longer.

And I'll tell you something else, young pruc will be playing regular first grade for our club within the next two seasons, as will at least another four of his current under twenty team mates if they live up to their potential.

If you feel you want to shit on a club, go shit on this years up and coming wooden spooners, Perth.

And I'm not having a go at Rick here, he's written a good article. I just want to say it as it is. Just as he does.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast