Thread: 46 days to go until JWC 2010 in Argentina

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

46 days to go until JWC 2010 in Argentina

50 days to go until JWC 2010 in Argentina

(IRB.COM) Friday 16 April 2010

With just 50 days to go until the IRB Junior World Championship kicks off in Argentina, the next generation of stars are preparing for the ultimate challenge in Age Grade Rugby which starts on Saturday, June 5.

The Junior World Championship's winning blend of exciting young players, back to back matches and international competition is a proven hit with broadcasters and the public with over 6,000 tournament passes already sold.

"The 50 days to go countdown is a significant landmark for this showcase event which has grown in stature in recent years to become a hugely anticipated highlight of the Rugby calendar. We are all looking forward to a vibrant, exciting and successful tournament which will build on the great progress already made by the Unión Argentina de Rugby (UAR)," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

At a special media conference taking place in Rosario today to mark the 50 days to go milestone, tournament organisers will confirm that preparations are ahead of schedule to deliver an outstanding event.

"We are 50 days from the IRB Junior World Championship and we are all working harder every day. Rosario, Sante Fe and Parana will be the host of a great tournament, and I anticipate full stadiums, with Argentine fans demonstrating their support of their favourite teams and the Pumitas," said UAR President Luis Castillo.

"The JWC will leave a big legacy for everyone, from the players that participate to all of us at the host Unions. The future of world rugby is played in our country and we all want to be part of it."

Looking to follow in the footsteps of Zac Guildford, Leigh Halfpenny, Will Genia and David Pocock as players who have graduated from the IRB Junior World Championship to win full Test caps, the next generation of world Rugby stars can expect exceptional facilities and a welcoming festival atmosphere.

Over 25,000 boys and girls will take part in a legacy programme 'Rugby in the Barrios', which was also launched in the region, with children invited to take part in tag rugby sessions with players and coaches from the Rugby Union of Rosario.

Balls and bibs for the ambitious project were delivered yesterday, with the programme designed to spread the Game through schools and clubs, focusing on the values of Rugby and complimenting the UAR's You Can Be A Puma campaign.

Media Accreditation will open for the tournament on May 1 with media invited to apply for accreditation via the UAR website from that date.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder when the Australian squad will be announced. Burgs I bet your itching to name some names so tell us what you've got.

It looks like Afu Taumoepeau, Matt Toomua, Colby Faingaa and Michael Hooper (Brumbies), Luke Morahan, Liam Gill, Andrew Shaw and Jake Schatz (Reds), Locky McCaffrey (Tahs), Stefano Hunt, Luke Jones, James O'Connor, Ted Postal, Mark Swanepoel and Justin Turner (Force) are the only players who Super 14 contracted or have been in a match day 22 who are 20 or under this year. I may have missed some though.

Lets see that makes:

4. Luke Jones
    6. Locky McCaffrey
    7. Andrew Shaw
    8. Jake Schatz

9. Justin Turner
    10. Matt Toomua
    12. Stefano Hunt
    13. Afu Taumoepeau
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. James O'Connor

19. Michael Hooper
    20. Mark Swanepoel

Definitely not too shabby looking.

Last edited by James; 21-04-10 at 00:54.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Toomua and O'Connor are likely to be on Wallaby squad duties, but none of the others will.

The remainder of spots would be taken by academy players wouldn't they? Does anybody have much of a handle on those names?

C'mon the

vCash
    O'Connor's probably a definate for the Wallabies match-day 22, but is Toomua? Would he do better playing in the U20 World Cup rather than sitting in the stands (or playing club rugby) during internationals? If he can develop playing relationships with Turner and Hunt, wouldn't that be better for Australia in the future?
    (Also, if he plays well with Turner and Hunt, maybe we can make him an offer!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    O'Connor's probably a definate for the Wallabies match-day 22, but is Toomua? Would he do better playing in the U20 World Cup rather than sitting in the stands (or playing club rugby) during internationals? If he can develop playing relationships with Turner and Hunt, wouldn't that be better for Australia in the future?
    (Also, if he plays well with Turner and Hunt, maybe we can make him an offer!)
    That call was made based upon the quality of the #10s running around in Oz ATM.......IMHO Matt Toomua is the #2 flyhalf on form, I reckon he'll make the squad and they'll be comparing him with Gits and Berrick in training to see whether to blood him in one of the early tests and check his capabilities.

Of course replacing Gits and Berrick will involve significant Committee pressure and therefore Matty might not get the spot he deserves.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    IMHO Matt Toomua is the #2 flyhalf on form
    Since when do the Wallaby selectors pick on form?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Since when do the Wallaby selectors pick on form?
    answered in the rest of my post........I don't think he can miss the training squad though!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Toomua won't be in the Wallabies squad (he's also already signed on for 2 years with the Brumbies). Not until the spring tour anyway. If I were Robbie, I'd get O'Connor to play with the U20s too. To be fair O'Connor would be only looking at a bench spot and that bench spot might already be taken by Barnes (not that he's earnt it). Give him the game time. It'd be great if we did well in the JWC.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    answered in the rest of my post........I don't think he can miss the training squad though!
    I know, but the opportunity was too good to pass up

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Burgs I bet your itching to name some names so tell us what you've got.
    Funny you should say that

Burgs' 2010 Australian Under 20's to Argentina:

# Name State

1 Cruz Ah-Nau WA
    2 Sam Roberson NSW
    3 Paul Alo-Emile Qld
    4 Luke Jones WA
    5 Greg Peterson NSW
    6 Jake Schatz Qld
    7 Michael Hooper ACT
    8 Ed Quirk Qld

9 Justin Turner WA
    10 Matt Toomua NSW
    11 Luke Morahan Qld
    12 James O'Connor WA
    13 Dom Shipperley Qld
    14 Afusipa Taumoepeau NSW
    15 Clinton Sills NSW

16 Steve Pocock* WA
    17 Paddy Ryan NSW
    18 Talalelei Grey Vic
    19 Colby Faingaa ACT
    20 Mark Swanepoel Qld
    21 Stefano Hunt WA
    22 Robbie Coleman ACT

23 Locky McCaffrey NSW
    24 Liam Gill Qld
    25 Jacob Taylor NSW
    26 Zack Holmes WA

If Toomua and O'Connor not available then Backline becomes:

9 Justin Turner WA
    10 Stefano Hunt WA
    11 Luke Morahan Qld
    12 Robbie Coleman ACT
    13 Dom Shipperley Qld
    14 Afusipa Taumoepeau NSW
    15 Clinton Sills NSW

20 Mark Swanepoel Qld
    21 Jacob Taylor NSW
    22 Zack Holmes WA

25 Kimami Sitauti Qld
    26 Jono Lance Qld

* I have Pocock in as Reserve Hooker as there is a real dirth of eligible Hookers around Australia and he stated when he came to WA that he had played there. There may be better choices and I didn't get a good fix on the Brumbies situation with their Academy either.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.