Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Seven's stars

vCash

Reds sign Seven's stars

Liam Gill
    Liam was named tour captain for the Australian School Boys tour of the UK in 2009. A mobile flanker who causes plenty of trouble at the breakdown for the opposition, the talented teen is a member of the Australian Sevens squad for 2010. Born in Melbourne, Liam lived in the United States for several years before relocating to Brisbane.

Position Flanker
    Date Of Birth 8/6/1992
    Place of Birth Melbourne
    Weight 86kg
    Height 1.84m
    Junior Club Sunnybank Juniors
    School Gregory Terrace

Ed Quirk
    Ed represented Queensland and Australia as a Schoolboy and won the Bronze Boot Award for being the best player on the field during a New Zealand v Australia Schoolboys match in 2008. His representative honours include QLD Under 16s (2007); Queensland Schoolboys (2008); Australia A (2008); Australian Schoolboys (2008); QAS Reds Academy (2009-10, Australian Sevens (2009-2010). Ed’s performances with Easts in Premier Rugby in 2009 earned him the award of Colt of the Year.

Position No. 6 - Blindside Flanker
    Date Of Birth 28/08/1991
    Place of Birth Brisbane
    Weight 95kgs
    Height 190cm
    Club Easts
    Junior Club Redlands
    School Brisbane State High School

Dominic Shipperley
    An accomplished athlete, Dominic made his Australian Sevens debut in early 2009, relying on sheer pace to blitz his opposition and quickly becoming a prolific try scorer on the Sevens circuit. He toured the UK with the Australian Sevens, playing in London and Edinburgh in early 2009, before returning home to resume his studies in engineering and commerce at the University of Queensland. His representative honours also include: Australian Schools (2008); QLD A (2009); U19 City-Country (2009). He scored a dazzling late try for a Queensland XV to secure a 24-17 victory over Japan in a midweek match in 2009, evading two defenders with some fancy footwork and blistering speed along the left touch line to seal the match.

Position Outside Backs - Wing/Outside Centre/Fullback
    Date Of Birth 4/1/1991
    Place of Birth Redcliffe, Qld
    Weight 86kg
    Height 1.85m
    Club Brothers
    School St Josephs Nudgee College

Kimami Sitauti
    A fast and elusive winger, Australian-born Kimami pulled on the gold jersey for the first time in 2009 after representing New Zealand in the U17s and Auckland U16s. He was selected in the GPS 1st XV and Queensland Schools in 2009 and was awarded the man of the match in his Australian Schools debut against Tonga. The Nudgee college product played on the wing for Souths in the 2009 Premier Grand Final before heading overseas with the Australian Schools tour of the UK. Snapped up on his return for the Australian Sevens squad, Sitauti scored his first IRB Sevens try when he touched down in Australia’s opening victory over the unpredictable Papua New Guinean side in Wellington in 2010.

Position Wing
    Date Of Birth 12/04/1991
    Place of Birth Sydney
    Weight 90kg
    Height 1.83m
    Club Souths
    Junior Club Ponsonby (NZ)
    School Nudgee College

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

The QR Reds today announced that four Australian Sevens stars from the QAS Reds Academy have been signed for the Reds senior squad in 2011.

Liam Gill, Ed Quirk, Dominic Shipperley and Kimami Sitauti have been developed through the talent development pathway to the point where they are now ready to step up to the Reds.

Head Coach Ewen McKenzie said all four teenagers had been identified as players the Reds wanted to keep long before they came to prominence on the international stage with eye-catching performances on the iRB World Sevens circuit.

"(Academy Head Coach) Paul Carozza and his team – supported by the Premier clubs – are doing a great job in identifying, nurturing and developing guys through the Academy to the point where they can take the next step with confidence," McKenzie said.

"Queensland is producing some terrific rugby talent and we're working hard at retaining the best to ensure that the medium and long term future of the Reds is secure.

“When you’re in a state that develops rugby talent, you have to make early decisions and be decisive. The guys we are announcing today have all done great things in their rugby careers already and we see very bright futures.”

The youngest of the four, flanker Gill was tour captain of the Australian Schoolboys last year and has already been blooded at senior level, scoring a try off the bench for a Queensland 2nd XV in a pre-season trial match against an Australian Barbarians side.

Fellow backrower Quirk also had a decorated Australian Schools career before stepping up to the senior ranks in 2009 in international Sevens and Queensland Premier Rugby, winning Colt of the Year.

Outside back Dominic Shipperley joined the international Sevens circuit in 2009 and also played for a Queensland XV against Japan last year, showing dazzling speed and footwork to score the winning try late in the match.

Kimami Sitauti is another fast and elusive winger, who played for Souths in the 2009 Premier Grand Final against Brothers before heading overseas with the Australian Schoolboys tour to the UK. New to the international Sevens circuit this year he has proved a sensation with his speed and power.

Gill said it was an easy decision to sign having grown up in Queensland.

“It makes it even more rewarding knowing that they’re happy to have us here as much as we want to stay,” Gill said.

Quirk said he couldn’t wait to receive an opportunity next season with the Reds enjoy plenty of success on the field.

“There’s a lot of hype with the Reds doing so well this year and that fuels the younger guys to come through and be part of that,” Quirk said.

“It makes us work harder. You really want to work hard to earn a spot.”
    all 4 of these players are future stars

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who, if anyone, are they replacing TOCC?
    I haven't heard as yet of anyone leaving or retiring at this stage and pretty sure there weren't that many spare Senior Squad slots available?

Edit----

I guess Braid for one, hence the two Flankers, anyone else though?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Cover for Peter Hynes maybe?

vCash
    Good luck with them. Are they still eligible for the Olympic 7s squad?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Who, if anyone, are they replacing TOCC?
    I haven't heard as yet of anyone leaving or retiring at this stage and pretty sure there weren't that many spare Senior Squad slots available?

Edit----

I guess Braid for one, hence the two Flankers, anyone else though?
    I can't see McKenzie sticking with fatty Turinui. He doesn't appear to be much of a fan of Lei Tomiki either. Quirk might be in for Byrnes.

I agree TOCC they are all future stars. Makes you wonder if any of them will get much of a look in with the way the Reds have been playing. Talking of future stars, what ever happened to Brett Gillespie?

Last edited by James; 20-04-10 at 14:16.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I imagine Gill and Quirk are there to replace Braid and Poutasi Luafutu, Sitauti and Shipperly are in to replace Turinui and Vaalu.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Good luck with them. Are they still eligible for the Olympic 7s squad?
    considering the rio de janeiro olympics isnt until 2016, i dont think thats real high on there priorities at the moment

vCash
    Are there not Sevens at London? Even as a demonstration event?

(You can tell I've really done my research on this - can't you?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Are there not Sevens at London? Even as a demonstration event?

(You can tell I've really done my research on this - can't you?)
    No - the IRB f'ed up the bid for 2012.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Where is Luafutu going TOCC?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Where is Luafutu going TOCC?
    who cares...

nah, i dont know, doesnt look like his in Links plans if he was picking blokes like Shaw and Shatz ahead of him though

Prospect
    vCash

Liam Gill will be a star no doubt

Liam Gill has the potential to be the best flanker in the world once he gains more experience and is a bit older. Look at the likes of Pocock, Waugh, Smith, Braid and i think gill can't be compared to these guys yet of course, but once he has a few years behind him, just watch and you will see why so many people have mentioned his name. He may not have much top level experience yet, but I think he will surprise a lot of people watching Super 15 next year and I think that he will be able to standout next year. He might not be a hugely consistent player in his first season, but no doubt he will have some standout performances, especially with the way the reds are performing. Just keep an eye on how good he is at rucktime and how quick and versatile he is around the paddock. He probably has a long way to go in his defence and physicality to match players like pocock, but I'd say that he has much higher potential in attack than pocock did and I think he'll be a very valuable player to the reds in the future. Just watch his breakdown work next season for the reds and you will see what potential he has got. Wallabies and Reds fans, this guy in my opinion stands out more than any forward talent or 17 yr old that has come through for years. I guess this is just talk and speculation, but ask anyone who knows their rugby this guy is the real deal, not just to make the wallabies at some stage but to be world class and maybe our best forward. Remember his name.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsInsida View Post
    Liam Gill has the potential to be the best flanker in the world once he gains more experience and is a bit older. Look at the likes of Pocock, Waugh, Smith, Braid and i think gill can't be compared to these guys yet of course, but once he has a few years behind him, just watch and you will see why so many people have mentioned his name. He may not have much top level experience yet, but I think he will surprise a lot of people watching Super 15 next year and I think that he will be able to standout next year. He might not be a hugely consistent player in his first season, but no doubt he will have some standout performances, especially with the way the reds are performing. Just keep an eye on how good he is at rucktime and how quick and versatile he is around the paddock. He probably has a long way to go in his defence and physicality to match players like pocock, but I'd say that he has much higher potential in attack than pocock did and I think he'll be a very valuable player to the reds in the future. Just watch his breakdown work next season for the reds and you will see what potential he has got. Wallabies and Reds fans, this guy in my opinion stands out more than any forward talent or 17 yr old that has come through for years. I guess this is just talk and speculation, but ask anyone who knows their rugby this guy is the real deal, not just to make the wallabies at some stage but to be world class and maybe our best forward. Remember his name.
    Welcome RedsInsida, gather you like the look of this guy then . I will look forward to seeing him take the field based on your enthusiasm for him.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Liam Gill is incredibly talented, i wouldnt at all be surprised to see start a few games for the Reds next year..

The only thing holding him back is his size at the moment, he still needs to pack on a bit of bulk

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    maybe redsinsida is his manager?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    maybe redsinsida is his manager?
    why would he be wasting his time on us then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast