Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disgusting Behaviour

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by helbob53 View Post
    I think that its unfair to mention Rockingham when Mandurah have a brawl, we arent that close you know. Do we say Cottesloe, when we mention Associates, I don't think so, to lump them both together is sooooo unfair....
    the mandurah team is made up of the rockingham 18s team

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Brawling in under 18's games is pretty common isn't it?

Too much testosterone and pimples on one field.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    guess its better than glassing each other in the pub!

vCash
    Whatever went on it has had a knock effect in that all away teams must be in a roped off exclusion zone ( another setup headache) and oddly enough quite anti social - cause at our club most of the away peps have known each other for years and the banter can be "choice" but not an issue if you know what I mean.

Personally I find it really sad that ref's like Ecky are now less concerned about reffing a game and now have to be really aware of how to maintain the peace on and off the pitch. Week in week out we give out about the quality of the refs at S14 level and wonder why more aren't coming through the ranks - well folks some pimply teens and their "fans/parents" are really dragging us down to their level.

Sorry for the Rant - but I missed the banter of the opposition team this week.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I agree TQ. If you want to fight take up boxing. Dirty stuff will happen on a field and it's up to the ref to sort it out.

It's just annoying when he doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Personally I find it really sad that ref's like Ecky are now less concerned about reffing a game and now have to be really aware of how to maintain the peace on and off the pitch. Week in week out we give out about the quality of the refs at S14 level and wonder why more aren't coming through the ranks - well folks some pimply teens and their "fans/parents" are really dragging us down to their level.
    Now I must clarify here:

Once you get a fair bit of experience behind you, you know that some grades of game will need to be handled differently. Generally speaking, the Under 18s, the old U/19s and the current U/20s (and the PSA 1st XV - and 2nd XV probably, but I've never reffed one of them)) are dealt with by remembering the players are testorene-filled pimply teens who tend to get "white line fever" once on the pitch.

I don't know if it's my experience as a ref or as a father, but I really don't have too many problems with these games as I tend to put a lid on things when I see they are starting to boil. I am all for a bit of simmering aggression, provided it relates directly to rugby and the ball (and ball carrier). Sometimes simply involving the captain - and reminding him of his responsibilities as a captain - is sufficient, but sometimes the captain is just the best player and not a leader, so one involves the coach.

Thise refs with less experience, for example the new refs at Britannia, need to be recognised by the fans/parents that they are (a) just learning their craft, (b) helping the game to be played, and (c) human like the rest of the rugby public. I know of a very promising ref who started at the same time as me, but he (unlike me) was straight out of school. He was at the crossroads of whether to keep playing for his school and club or whether to ref full time. he'd quickly have been at Premier Grade level for reffing if he chose that road, but he chose not to be the subject of continual criticism/abuse by the Britannia mob. That's a shame becasue he faded into obscurity as a player soon after.

Anyway, I am more concerned about reffing a game than anything else, but am always mindful of what grade I ref and that will influence how I control the players - if required. As it happens I had the Wests Paly U/18 match yesterday and so, as part of my preparation, I spoke to the ref who had "that match" in week 1. That was just to get a "heads up" about what went on. It didn't actually influence how I reffed it because I was already prepared for a game between a bunch of testorene-filled pimply teens.

vCash
    Well said Ecky.

vCash
    agreed ecky well put!!!

I must say no parent/spectator has any right stepping foot on the pitch... having reffed many junior/schools rugby through my previous jobs as a DO and other sports through my work it never ceases to amaze me at the disgusting behaviour of a minority of parents who are living their failed sporting lives through their childs and feel they have every right to abuse refs opposition players and anyone within screeching distance!!!!

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Champion
    vCash
    PSA games usually arent bad with this problem because they face severe penalties by the schools. 18s and 20s is bad because a lot of generally nobody players want to make a name for themselves and cant disguise between control aggression and thugery on the field. Or guys that can't take getting beaten. I agree as an 18 year old playing u20s its pathetic when this happens. Chuck these guys in grade rugby and see what happens when they try this stuff against grown men! i think they would quickly learn!

vCash
    That used to happen Pruc in the good ol bad ol days - but we're not allowed to do that any more especially with the U18 - they normally gave the victim a lesson in drinking as well - normally completed the process

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    .......so I had the Mandurah v Kala U/18s today.

They are a bad-tempered bunch out there in Mandurah, aren't they? And they don't learn from constantly being penalised either.

Sadly I was not able to keep all of the on the park for the whole time. One sin bin and a send off. Both Mandurah.

The attitude of some players was a real shame because, for the most part, it would have been a very good match to watch from the sidelines I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2