Thread: All Blacks job still an option for Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks job still an option for Mitchell

All Blacks job still an option for Mitchell

Posted April 16, 2010 19:17:00

Western Force coach John Mitchell has left the door ajar for another go at coaching the All Blacks.
    Mitchell was sacked as head coach of New Zealand after it suffered a shock semi-final loss to Australia in the 2003 World Cup.
    The 46-year-old has already confirmed he will leave the Force at the end of the 2011 Super 14 season and said he would consider a return to the All Blacks coaching ranks if given the chance.
    "Well who knows. I've got to earn that right," Mitchell said in Auckland ahead of the Force's clash with the Blues on Saturday.
    "First and foremost is my job here with the Western Force and (I'm) committed right through to the end of my contract.
    "After that New Zealand will be taken into consideration.
    "Let's face it, I was disappointed with the rugby World Cup result, I took it personally. But that's just natural.
    "I think I'm a better character and person for that experience."
    Mitchell said he would also consider coaching in South Africa once his time with the Force expired.
    But he expressed particular fondness of NZ, his country of birth.
    "You tend to recognise the qualities of the landscape in a place like Queenstown and the fresh air and those sort of things are unique," he said.
    "And just the intimacy that exists within New Zealand and just the rugby fabric that's very much part of the community."
    Mitchell predicted the Wallabies would be a smokey at the 2011 World Cup in NZ.
    "I see Australia being a real threat," he said.
    "Another 20-odd Test matches on their shoulders, another couple of Tri-Nations and end of year tours, that side will become a lot more experienced and confident as it gets closer to the World Cup."
    The Force have won two games on the trot but still sit 12th on the table after opening their season with six straight losses.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...16/2875292.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Like 'The Castle' says, tell 'im he's dreamin'.

JM is a good coach, a strange dude and WA has mellowed him nicely but he will never not ever coach the national side in this country again.

I have always stayed out of the JM, he's great - he should f..k off now threads due to being a Kiwi but the distaste is still there and he was appalling with the NZ public.

vCash
    He's appalling to ALL public Woody.

He seems to know a bit about rugby though.

C'mon the

vCash
    *Sigh* All Blacks would be lucky to have Mitch. That guy is a legend. I'd struggle to hate the All Blacks if he was their coach, so I'd prefer him go hit up Europe or Argentina or something.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    *Sigh* All Blacks would be lucky to have Mitch. That guy is a legend. I'd struggle to hate the All Blacks if he was their coach, so I'd prefer him go hit up Europe or Argentina or something.
    Becoz you hate NZ?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Becoz you hate NZ?
    I don't think I'd have any trouble hating NZ if Mitch was coaching

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He's appalling to ALL public Woody.

He seems to know a bit about rugby though.
    Don't get me wrong, he knows plenty. Personally I think he is an outstanding coach. To qualify what I said;
    During the RWC the New Zealand rugby public (we're a bit precious) wanted to hear from him and the team but there was a media blanket. At the time it "it's ok, Mitch knows what he's doing' but after the loss it changed to 'what the f..k did he think he was doing'. He copped a lot of personal flak here.
    Again, personally, I'd prefer Mitch to the School teacher Henry anytime, but I'd have Deans over any of them.

vCash
    and here was me thinking he was going to stay in perth forever!, now he loves the place so much... im all for it give him the AB's head coach job...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    and here was me thinking he was going to stay in perth forever!, now he loves the place so much... im all for it give him the AB's head coach job...
    Quoting Mudskipper to make a point?

Let it go Slomo, very few people are completely devastated that Mitch is moving on. Many are worried about the quality of his replacement, but that is inevitable until his successor is named.

C'mon the

vCash
    gigs, when the sucessor is named, the many that are worried about the quality of replacement will rally behind the new coach, as i hope the supporters follow the club as a whole not the individual, the same people were probably devo when gigs, valo and drew left........onwards and upwards....the force will still be a mighty force with out JM.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    gigs, when the sucessor is named, the many that are worried about the quality of replacement will rally behind the new coach, as i hope the supporters follow the club as a whole not the individual, the same people were probably devo when gigs, valo and drew left........onwards and upwards....the force will still be a mighty force with out JM.....
    I agree, I don't think the presence of JM or the absence of JM is what makes or breaks the Force.

Mitch is a good coach, and has done a lot for the franchise, he also has his issues, particularly getting the best out of pissy, up themselves, overpaid superstars and public relations. I respect the man, but am happy to move on, he's done his time, the Three year plan was unsuccesful (IMHO more Gits' fault than anything) and 5 years is plenty. Hopefully next year, he'll be sent off with a great season!

and we'll move on!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Hopefully next year, he'll be sent off with a great season!
    totally agree, our first visit to the finals would be a great end to his time in the west....

vCash
    Without our injury tally this year reckon we would not be having this conversation

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    Agree 100% TQ1

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    While he isn't the whole Force, I think some may be underselling his role and the hole that he will leave behind.
    He may not be the most charismatic interview (must have studied with Aussie Rob...) he is a straight shooter and has been a vital ongoing part of the Force fabric.
    I totally respect him and will also miss him.
    That said, the focus will be on the next chapter, as it will be for Mitch as well.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.