Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Round 10 squad speculation

vCash

Round 10 squad speculation

Ok so now we finally have the team that was supposed to run onto the paddock in round one... we have a bit of a conundrum. Some of our second string lads have really stood up and are putting pressure on the run-on team
    So how do you think it will look come Saturday??

1)Pek Cowan
    2)Ben Whittaker
    3)Tim Fairbrother
    4)Tom Hockings
    5)Nathan Sharpe
    6)Matt Hodgson
    7)Dave Pocock
    8)Richard Brown

9)Brett Sheehan
    10)Dave Hill
    11)Nick Cummins
    12)James O'Connor
    13)Ryan Cross
    14)Mitch Inman
    15)Cam Sheperd

16) Matt Dunning
    17) Sam Wykes
    18) Ben McCalman
    19) Justin Turner
    20) Mark Bartolomeusz
    21) Sam Harris
    22) Dane Haylett Petty

Im not sure if we'll go 4 forwards 3 backs on the bench given the tough opposition.. but i was thinking that with Matt covering 1,2 & 3, Sam W covering 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 with Mcalman covering 4, & 5 and at a push 6 wheras Barto and DHP can cover 10, 11, 14 and 15 and Sam H can cover 12 & 13 and JT 9

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I just do not know what Mitch is going to do with the half-back situation Turner must get a go but COY played brilliantly
    I am not to sure if Sheehan is going to deliver the goods. I would give him one more week rest

I say go with COY for 50 min and then play Turner for the rest of the game. Turner's unpredictability might just be what we need against the Blues in the last half hour.

vCash
    Rabbit to 15 and shift everybody up one to make him fit......Cross has been toilet at 13 and barely serviceable at 12, Inman will fit anywhere ATM.

I'd be inclined to go three backs, with Dane losing out and bring another flanker on. They're going to be working overtime in cover and at the breakdown and it'd be nice to have our world class backrow thinking they could have a rest if they need it!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Tenner says Dunning and Fairbrother start. Back in 2008 (?) when Dunning was with the Tahs him and the other two absolutely handed it to the Blues. We need to starve them of ball and that means beating them in the scrum (praying that Woodcock and Afoa and the other injured dude stay out).

I don't reckon Shep is ready to go back to 15 yet either. So I would wager the same backline except Nick Cummins in for Bartholomeusz who will take DHPs bench spot. Keep COY and Turner as well.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Henderson to start - nice and rested .

vCash
    was reading somewhere today that Sheehan and Staners are still out this week.

vCash
    Yeah knew Stanners was still out wasnt sure about Sheehan.
    I spoke to one of the RugbyWA guys a few weeks ago when they came to do a kids clinic at Bayswater and he said its not just Sheehans Hammies that are playing up but also his lower back which he Injured in 2008 playing for the Tahs.

If thats the Case then the Same lineup at 9 as last week is the Go, turner will give that extra spark needed when the team is tiring at about 60 mins...

vCash
    I agree with Pieter about the Sheehan/O'Young/Turner situation, especially if Sheehan isn't 100%. Turner is still a young kid and should be used from the bench, just as Rabbit was (from what I recall). Let's not load him up with the expectation of being the second coming of Gregan just yet!

Also agree with GIGS about Rabbit at full-back. 12 is his best position, but 15 is where he fits into the current team the best.

As to the subs, I'd still prefer 4 forwards, and neither Dunning nor Pek are proven as hookers, whilst Castle's looked good so far. However, if Henderson is fit and Pek's been working on his throws, he and Pek on the bench with a front row of (I can't believe I'm saying this): Dunning, Whittaker, Fairbrother. Wykes and McCalman can cover the locks/back row with a bit of switching round.

The subs for the backs would then be: Turner, Bart, Harris, with Turner covering 9, Harris the centres and Bart everyone else.

I guess that makes my team:
    1. Dunning
    2. Whittaker
    3. Fairbrother
    4. Hocking
    5. Sharpe
    6. Hodgo
    7. Pocock
    8. Brown
    9. O'Young
    10. Hill
    11. Cummins
    12. Cross
    13. Inman
    14. Shepherd
    15. O'Connor

16. Cowan
    17. Henderson
    18. Wykes
    19. McCalman
    20. Turner
    21. Bart
    22. Harris

Last edited by Sheikh; 13-04-10 at 13:02.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    JO'C will want to play at 15. Quade Cooper is untouchable as the Wallabies fly-half and short of injury will be engraved in the team sheet. That leaves Giteau and Barnes to tussle for the 12 jersey. If JO'C wants game time with the Wallabies it will be at 15 or from the bench where he could cover 10/12/15.

Player
    vCash
    I wouldnt mind seeing a bench with Turner, Bart and DHP sitting on it. Bart can cover the centres and flyhalf if need be. DHP can cover the abck three. I am still not a huge fan of Harris. He played pretty well against the Landers sure, but he is a stop gap player at best, and playing both he and Bart is not going to help the likes of DHP.
    I also would like to see Inman in the team. I think he is playing very well, and deserves to be there, so a centre combo of Cross and Inman would be nice. But what do we do when Spanner comes back? Drop Cross? Drop Inman? Drop Cummins?
    I guess these are the selection dilemmas that coachs pray for though, so it cant be bad!

Champion
    vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Tenner says Dunning and Fairbrother start. Back in 2008 (?) when Dunning was with the Tahs him and the other two absolutely handed it to the Blues. We need to starve them of ball and that means beating them in the scrum (praying that Woodcock and Afoa and the other injured dude stay out).

I don't reckon Shep is ready to go back to 15 yet either. So I would wager the same backline except Nick Cummins in for Bartholomeusz who will take DHPs bench spot. Keep COY and Turner as well.
    Ditto

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I just do not know what Mitch is going to do with the half-back situation Turner must get a go but COY played brilliantly
    I am not to sure if Sheehan is going to deliver the goods. I would give him one more week rest

I say go with COY for 50 min and then play Turner for the rest of the game. Turner's unpredictability might just be what we need against the Blues in the last half hour.
    Sheehan may have to wait to SA for his return... been saying all along how good Turner is..... Keep the backline as it is PB.... WHY CHANGE A WINNING FORMULA. Cummins may get the nod over Batho..... just through his direct running and unpredicability

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    I wouldnt mind seeing a bench with Turner, Bart and DHP sitting on it. Bart can cover the centres and flyhalf if need be. DHP can cover the abck three. I am still not a huge fan of Harris. He played pretty well against the Landers sure, but he is a stop gap player at best, and playing both he and Bart is not going to help the likes of DHP.
    I also would like to see Inman in the team. I think he is playing very well, and deserves to be there, so a centre combo of Cross and Inman would be nice. But what do we do when Spanner comes back? Drop Cross? Drop Inman? Drop Cummins?
    I guess these are the selection dilemmas that coachs pray for though, so it cant be bad!
    Bart seems to have found his feet as an outside back. I am a fan of DHP but his weakest point is his tackling and the Blues backs pose the biggest threat. I thought Harris was great against the Highlanders and is better cover for the centres than Bart and DHP.

Rookie
    vCash
    I think the Force should go in with exactly the same team except Nick Cummins should come onto the bench and Haylett-Pety be dropped. I'll probably give Inman another run and hopefully he performs alot better than in recent matches.
    I'm not a big fan of Inman, he doesn't offer much in attack, I don't think he has broken the line once this year. He has been given alot of opportunities this year and hasn't really performed.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I haven't been keeping a close enough ear/eye on the news this week and only saw the match this morning...finally... so assume nothing came of Pek's right hook?

Assuming his (and everyone else's) availability I would reward endevour and go with the same 22.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sorry - not yet a fan of DHP. His time will come but it's not now.

If Cummins is fit then DHP drops out. That's an easy choice imho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast