Thread: Brumbies join race for Scott Staniforth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies join race for Scott Staniforth

Brumbies join race for Scott Staniforth

HE might be 32 and seemingly was on the scrapheap only a few months ago but former Wallabies winger Scott Staniforth refuses to go away, with the Brumbies now considering making him an offer.

Staniforth appeared to have run out of options when his club, Yokogawa, folded as a professional outfit in February, after failing in its attempt to win promotion to the Japanese Top League. But happily for the winger, Yokogawa's demise coincided with the Western Force's catastrophic early-season spate of injuries and he was granted a four-match contract -- since renewed - to rejoin the Perth club.
    Since then, he has been a revelation, quickly establishing himself as one of the most consistent players in the Force side. He may not be the most exciting winger in the Super 14 - though he may well still be one of the quickest judging by the way he almost overhauled a runaway Digby Ioane in the Reds game - but he can be relied upon for a seven-out-of-10 performance every week.

The Force has offered him a contract for next season and it was assumed that because he owns a house in Perth he would accept it.
    But Staniforth has told The Weekend Australian he is considering moving back to the east coast to be closer to family and is no certainty to remain with the Force, which he joined as a foundation player in 2005.
    "I've been speaking to a couple of clubs on the east coast," said the 12-Test veteran who was a member of the 2007 World Cup squad.
    Unbeknown to him, his manager has sounded out the Brumbies.
    "He's a solid player and he certainly could be a possibility," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "We'd be interested."
    Force chief executive Vern Reid was surprised by the revelation the Brumbies also interest in Staniforth. "My understanding is that while we haven't actually signed a contract with Scott, we're very close," Reid said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225849060316

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    By all means talk up your other offers, Spanner. And then sign with the Force. You know it makes sense.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The Brumbies have more cash than Swiss Banks........If it's about a retirement package, they'll get him!

If it's about playing good rugby with an exciting team he'll run like a scared rabbit away from Matt Giteau

C'mon the

vCash
    dont you even think about it, brumbies! dont you have enough super stars. spanna is ours and PLEASE spanna, west is better than east

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Based on the ovation Scott got from the crowd when he hobbled off the field, I cannot see him going elsewhere.

I may be wrong but I am sure he has family working at Rugby WA, and I remember reading an article when he first went off to japan that he was leaving his family in Perth and hoped to return and go into the building game after rugby.

I hope he gets another Force contract he has been a revalation this season.

I suspect this article is more eastern states crap to undermine the Force, surely the Brumbies are not looking to replace an ageing Mortlock with other ageing players, lets get real, they have Mccabe and Fanifo on the wings already and with their great academy program they are not going to block emerging talent.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    NNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    Come on Force Management - he is one of the most consistent performers since our inception and is a real crowd favourite. If we're going to build a strong team culture then its players like Scott that we need around.

He has been one of the most underrated and undervalued players in Australian rugby. He got shafted when we purchase the "leagies" (what a complete disaster that turned out to be). He then did what was best for the team and played on the wing when we bought Giteau - after a fantastic year at 12... Then we just let him go to Japan - without so much of a fight - even though we had another year on his contract!!

Once again he has answered the team's call and has showed he still one of the most consistent and hard working players in the country. He has done this while being a superb ambassador for the game and the club and a great example to all the young players out there.

Show some loyalty and some brains and make sure we sign him on an extended contract and let him finish his playing career at the Force. That's the way we will build a culture...

GO SPANNER!!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Whatever happens - it's fantastic news he has options in Australia.

That being said - please stay in Perth!

vCash
    Katie Staniforth works in memberships....not sure if she is a relation

Spanner is a true gentleman and an awesome player....that's why I think he'll never fit in at the Brumbies.

Plus, they've got a good 12 (Giteau) and two young, quick wings (McCabe plays almost exactly the same game as Spanner but not as well) He'd be an idiot to leave Perth.

C'mon the

vCash
    Back off Canberra. If they take him, there'll be another talented kid left sitting on their bench or cutting up the oranges. They have more than enough players to fill all the positions Spanna can play. Force need to pull their finger out and do what ever it takes to keep him here.

vCash
    Katie is his sister, I believe (in fact, I think I once asked her that on the phone!)

Please don't leave, Spanners. We love you. We never wanted you to go to Japan. Don't have your head turned by those tarts in Canberra or the johnny-come-latelys in Melbourne. Stay with the crowd who adore you!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    he is probably putting those comments out there to up the ante on the Force deal

vCash
    No problem with him doing that - he's earned it!

Champion
    vCash
    I really want him to stay for next season. We have so many young players we need someone with experience to steady them. He has still got the goods as he has showed this season and also he is a really nice guy!

vCash
    I wish i was near him so i can hug his ankles and calves while pleading and sobbing to him to not leave me... er .... us.
    DONT GOOOOOO!!! waaaaah!

vCash
    Pee off Canberra!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry