Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CLARITY ON COACHING FRONT

vCash

CLARITY ON COACHING FRONT

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said the search for a new Head Coach at the Emirates Western Force will start immediately but the club won’t be rushed into making any hasty decisions following a commitment from current Force mentor, John Mitchell, to see through his contract until the end of the 2011 season.

Mitchell informed the club on Wednesday that he wouldn’t seek reappointment following the conclusion of his current contract and remains totally focused on achieving the best results possible for the side over the next season and a half.

“It is business as usual in the sense that John’s decision has been made to simply clarify his situation,” Mr Reid said at a packed media conference.

“Obviously the news is now out in the international rugby community that there is a position here in 2012 so I would anticipate that in the next couple of days I’ll start to receive expressions of interest.

“We’ll also start the process to look for a coach similar to John’s standing to take over in 2012.

“Coaches normally have one or two year contracts and John’s decision will allow others an opportunity to think if they’d like to be part of the Emirates Western Force. From our point of view we’ll start the process but it won’t be a hurried process.”

Mitchell, a former All Blacks coach, has been at the Emirates Western Force since their inaugural season in 2006 and has played a significant role in establishing a professional set-up in Western Australia.

“I’m totally committed to my contract right until the end. That has been communicated all along and nothing will change,” Mitchell said.

“I’m looking forward to the weekend big time, looking forward to today’s training session, nothing changes. I’m no different to a player coming out of contract at 2011, I just happen to be totally transparent on my future.”

Mr Reid said the Force would explore options from across the globe in their search for a new coach and had full confidence the club was in safe hands for the next 15 months.

“John sought to clarify his longer term position and you’ll find that the team and the coach are absolutely committed to getting us off the bottom of the ladder and making the best possible go of what is left of this season,” said Mr Reid.

“John’s contract goes until the end of 2011. That is the situation that exists and I don’t have a plan that we would look to change that. It is however an international game and if we had another decision to make then we might have another decision.

“As we’re talking right now 2010 and 2011 is John’s contract and I’d anticipate he would be here with the Emirates Western Force.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I hope Mitchell sees out his contract and the players next year take the viewpoint that they're playing to impress the incoming coach rather than not having to impress the leaving one.

With the number of young players we've got here, we should be looking to attract coaches with form in that area rather than ex-national team coaches. Mitchell was unusual in having both on his cv.

vCash
    I'm beginning to wonder when Todd Louden will be available, or Michael Cheika. Has anybody else noted that it's Rick Graham who does the post-halftime media stuff.......curious much?

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder when Todd Louden will be available, or Michael Cheika.
    Gigs, before reading your post I had started a new thread titled, "A blueprint for the post-Mitchell era", advocating that Todd Louden should be appointed immediately in a new role focussed on developing young players through the Perth club competition but eventually taking over from John Mitchell.

Todd is about to start a new season with Ricoh, but if Rugby WA move sharpish, I think he could be available.

Michael Cheika has signed with Stade Francais for I think three years..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post

Todd is about to start a new season with Ricoh, but if Rugby WA move sharpish, I think he could be available.
    Bruiser are you his manager or just impressed with him as an impending coach.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 28-03-10 at 16:01.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Clarity and Western Force coach cannot be said in the same sentence..........all we can do is wait : (

Apprentice
    vCash
    [quote=Elf1;251167]
    Bruiser are you his manager or just impressed with him as an impending coach.
    The latter, Elf. It's interesting that people tend to think it all right to talk someone up if you're getting an earn out of it, but become suspicious if there's no money involved.

For the record, given that I post on other rugby sites under my own name, I have been President of Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness for quite a few years and regard Todd Louden as one of the most impressive and dedicated coaches ever associated with the University in any sport.

Since he moved on, I have followed his career with great interest and am unembarrassed about expressing my high opinion of him and of players such as Mitch Inman and Ben McCalman who have come through the system that Todd set up.

I hope that I don't put the mocker on young Ben by stating that it was obvious he was Wallaby material when he first came to the University. I see him as a 50 Test player.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    ah,Sydney Uni,the centre of the rugby universe

great supporters of the ARC,weren't they?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I hope ....the players next year take the viewpoint that they're playing to impress the incoming coach rather than not having to impress the leaving one. .
    I hope the players next year realise they have generally overall not met the standards required of pro players and step up regardless of who may be the Coach. They need to (and am confident they have) take some ownership of the results rather than looking for scapegoats and to the potential future.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "A suitable Coach" should be appointed immediately in a new role focussed on developing young players through the Perth club competition but eventually taking over from John Mitchell.
    I don't know if it is to be Louden, but I like the concept.
    Could even run a few Academy and 'A' matches in the off season (or Tour) but would need very clear job descriptions to make the lines clear for the 2011 season.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    [quote=Bruiser;251179]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post

The latter, Elf. It's interesting that people tend to think it all right to talk someone up if you're getting an earn out of it, but become suspicious if there's no money involved.

For the record, given that I post on other rugby sites under my own name, I have been President of Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness for quite a few years and regard Todd Louden as one of the most impressive and dedicated coaches ever associated with the University in any sport.

Since he moved on, I have followed his career with great interest and am unembarrassed about expressing my high opinion of him and of players such as Mitch Inman and Ben McCalman who have come through the system that Todd set up.

I hope that I don't put the mocker on young Ben by stating that it was obvious he was Wallaby material when he first came to the University. I see him as a 50 Test player.
    Fair enough thanks for clarifying for me.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Word was that when the Force were talking to Louden last year, a large number of players (Super 14 and Shute Shield) were keen to come west to play under him. We need a coach who can attract players. He also has a great record as an attack coach which is the weakest area of the Force ATM.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Word was that when the Force were talking to Louden last year, a large number of players (Super 14 and Shute Shield) were keen to come west to play under him. We need a coach who can attract players. He also has a great record as an attack coach which is the weakest area of the Force ATM.
    Agree.
    The most important thing at the moment is to look
    at the best options with regards to recruiting and developing local players.

This must be done with haste, with the pressure on the player market with Melb entering the competition.

The academy must be expanded in, the numbers of local players involved and games against quality opposition.

Any New Coach or Appointed Successor must be able to drive aggressively in both those areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gean View Post
    Clarity and Western Force coach cannot be said in the same sentence..........all we can do is wait : (
    It all depends on what angle you look at it from Gean; I reckon the coaching issue is crystal clear! JM is coach untill end of 2011. The WF have ample time for succession planning. There is none of this "I love it in Perth, I love the beach and I've bought a house and I love it here..." business. No red herrings, no bollocks, no nonsense, no rhetoric, no political chicanery, no cat and mouse play. Just a simple unambiguous statement. I wont be extending my time after I have honoured my contract.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed Normie.
    I also don't see any great panic re player signatures, we have a fantastic stock of some of the finest junior players available in Australia.
    For 2012 I imagine we will be looking for replacements for some or all of below but there is a season to play for recruiters to play around with there. So agreed it would be best to have the replacement around sooner than later and in place to flow on from the end of the 2011 season however I don't believe that Coach will be inheriting the same team (performance wise) as we have now and they will be having some seasoned juniors that the other four Aus teams would love to have had themseleves (Pocock, Tyrell, Longbottom, DHP, JO'C, Inman, Hunt, Tom, Ted, Swanepoel, Turner, Ben x 2, Pek etc...)

Players potentially in line for the chop by post 2011 on age:

Mark Bartholomeusz
    Scott Staniforth
    Nathan Sharpe
    David Hill
    Matt Dunning
    Andre Pretorius
    Brett Sheehan
    Ryan Cross
    Sam Harris
    Chris O'Young
    Matt Hodgson
    Haig Sare

(Fairbrother and Henderson fit in this age bracket too but as Props they have a greater longevity)

A fit existing Squad with another season and a half and two pre-seasons under the belt (ie to start S15 2012) could look like:

1 Pekahou Cowan
    2 Ben Whittaker
    3 Tim Fairbrother
    4 Richard Stanford
    5 Tom Hockings
    6 Ben McCalman
    7 David Pocock (C)
    8 Richard Brown

9 Mark Swanepoel
    10 Stefano Hunt
    11 Nick Cummins
    12 James O'Connor (VC)
    13 Mitch Inman
    14 Dane Haylett-Petty
    15 Cameron Shepherd

16 Ryan Tyrrell
    17 Kieran Longbottom
    18 Sam Wykes
    19 Ted Postal
    20 Justin Turner
    21 Josh Tatupu
    22 Joelin Rapana

Turner being the only player not to have already debuted as at Round 7 two seasons before!
    That's without a single decent recruit for the inevitable turnover post the next two seasons, or a single local success story.
    This is an exciting list and prospect and one that most young players in the Squad will have done the mental calculations on before deciding where to sign, including Jones which is why he would have seen Melbourne as the option.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast