Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: John Mitchell won't extend contract with Force

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I'm not so sure about why it had to be so public. Transparency at any cost?
    You've got to be kidding Tragic, do you not remember this http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=20515? The glee and theories that abounded the moment there was even a very weak suggestion that there was trouble at mill was quite evident, so how much worse would it have been if he had told the Force he wasn't staying and they actually did go out looking - can you imagine what the media and the antis would have been saying then? Any subsequent suggestion that it was all according to plan would have done nothing whatsoever to quell it - there is never any shortage of folk prepared to believe the worst about folk in general (and more than a few with it in for the Force and Mitchell particularly).

Even with the way it has been handled instead, look at what a knob Clarke is being - he is immediately on message with the line that Mitchell is an arse because "the club had no-one immediately available to comment", yet was able to post this only half an hour later with quotes from Fordham, Mitchell and Reid. He must think himself well important, expecting he warrants an immediate answer whenever he deigns to call someone.

Still here is a thought: No-one can deny Mitchell's success at developing young players and he has been quoted as saying that it is that aspect of the job he enjoys most. Well, post-2011 Robbie may also be off and the short-odds favourite would be Nucifora. What job would that leave open?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    wonder if Deans would consider a Force job???

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm a Mitchell fan but I want him to go. You need new blood to keep things fresh. It ain't healthy having the same coach for more than 5 years IMHO. He is probably ambivalent on the issue (I suspect he likes it here- who in their right mind doesn't?- but it certainly hasn't been a hassle free job). You can't entirely compare what Mitch is doing with what players do its a different kettle of fish.

No dramas about this announcement. For the last year who would've expected any differently? Plenty of time to nail down a new coach and maybe (depending on the length of Graham's contract) lure someone as an assistant coach for 2011 with the view to taking over in 2012.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You've definately been consistent, Slomo - and thankfully without feeling the need to remind us every 5 minutes.

Ed: I'm a Mitchell fan, but Yeah - I kinda agree with James, although I wouldn't put a time frame on it, change in coaching staff is necessary along the way ...

vCash
    I once found a molehill but then someone turned it into a mountain! Its not the massive breaking news the media are making of it. A few days ago there was an article about Mitch staying at the Force until 2011..this "news" is no different except that it paints the picture that he's a jerk for walking out on a sinking ship.

I'm grateful for Mitch's contribution to the club but I'm just as excited to see what the future holds, so thanks to him for efforts but all's not lost yet..we still have a year for him to get us the goods in the trophy cabinet.

vCash
    Love Mitchell and Sharpie to have a major win before they leave - a proper and fitting victory to repay them for their hard yards - and they certainly have seen some excitement since they joined us here in the West.

Really appreciate Mitchell's developmental hand on Pocock, Brown, Hodgson, Sheps and JOC, can't believe how inspired Sheenan is in particular

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Without wishing to dish out blame to anyone, having Mitch around isn't the best for new player recruitment. You have a guy that supposedly the vast majority of the team had a problem with which spent a lot of time being bandied about in the media- it makes for reservations about coming to Perth. Having a completely average coach isn't likely to be much better but if we had a great coach that players liked then it would probably be a bit easier to nab players from elsewhere.

vCash
    I hope he does stay. He's done a great job.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Right. He's gone.
    Whos next?

Maybe a book on Hickey lasting the season?

Or if the Brumbies keep losing...whos got a Friend?

vCash
    Do "the vast majority of the team had a problem" with Mitch? I thought it was Giteau and Drew Mitchell, and when they saw that Mitchell had the support of the Force they high-tailed it out of town.

If the recent turn-around in the Force's performance is anything to go by, the team is behind Mitchell and buying into his 'trust me - trust the team I pick' message.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Like I said "supposedly".

There was some kind of petition or something wasn't there with like 25 senior squad member's signatures. Who knows exactly what it actually said but you get the impression that it was more than just Mitchell and Giteau.

Champion
    vCash
    I know i've been outspoken and said Mitchell needs to go, but looking back on our 5 years in operation, he has done extremely well for us the club / the supporters / sponsors and more important the players, prior to JM coming to the club we had 2
    F/T wallabies, and some P/T & Fringe Wallabies also. He has developed our youngesters and even some 'over the hill players' to what we are today. I wont go into the negiatives now everyone knows how i feel in recent times from our forum entrys.

But what i will say is if we get any coach like (eddie jones / jake white ... etc) I will be jumping ship, these coaches i've mentioned are as useless as a tiolet with no flush.

I personally would like to see John Mulvhill come back as a coach, wether that be head or assistant or academy coach, i thought he did a good job coaching the Spirit in there only year.

Either Mulvhill, Lauire Fisher, Robbie Deans (after the world cup maybe)? David Nuceifero.

Rookie
    vCash
    Methinks Mitch won't be around next year. I think he'll be paid out.

vCash
    Mitch did a great job with the Force for which we thank him.

Moving forward, I would not be too upset to see Phil Mooney come across, he seemed to get a raw deal at the Reds and now after a stint in NZ maybe ready.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Graham Henry should be free after he gets sacked post RWC2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast