Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies call for new competition

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies call for new competition

Brumbies call for new competition

PETER FITZGERALD

March 22, 2010 - 2:36PM
    The ACT Brumbies have called for an overhaul of Australian rugby's second-tier structure.
    Coach Andy Friend wants the ARU to create a competition from 2011 where the Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds, Western Force and Melbourne Rebels second teams play a home-and-away competition.
    And chief executive Andrew Fagan hinted the Canberra Vikings could return to the Sydney club competition next season should a second-tier competition not eventuate.
    The Brumbies' pleas come because Saturday night's Brumby Runners match was the last time that players not in their top 22 each week would have competitive playing options.
    The Sydney and Brisbane competitions don't start until April 10 and the standard doesn't rival Super 14.
    Friend accepted there were financial challenges with setting up a new competition but insisted something had to be done.
    The ARU funds the Sydney and Brisbane club competitions more than $1million each in premier rugby grants.
    The ACT and WA unions receive no such grants. All the ACTRU receives is a $200,000 payment, which is used to employ staff for development programs with a community focus.
    Friend believed the best solution would be a second-tier competition coinciding with the Super 14 draw.
    "I'd love to see, even next year, every time we play the Waratahs, Reds, Force and Rebels, both home and away, that our second-tier teams play the curtain raiser, or even the day after," he said.
    "Whilst ever we're playing in a competition that only really focuses on the top blokes, your young fellas can train well but what do they do then? Sydney and Brisbane club [rugby] is competitive enough but you can't compare that to the top level. Something needs to be done because I think it's being overlooked at the moment and I don't think it's helping the game."
    The Brumby Runners have played six games this season, which the Brumbies have organised privately.
    Friend has used them to give his bench players more game time.
    "I'd love to be able to say to our Runners, 'OK guys, you've got eight games of quality football', that they play all the other provincial sides home and away and it actually means something," Friend said.
    "If your players aren't making the one to 15 in your top team, they're still getting game time, at a good level, in a second-tier structure and be able to put pressure on the people ahead of them.
    "How does the bloke who hasn't played a lot of footy show me that he's better than the bloke who is ahead of him? It's bloody hard but if he's playing week in, week out and showing that he's killing it at that next level, well you start to take notice of them."
    The Vikings played in the Sydney or Brisbane club competitions between 1995 and 2005. They then played in and won the Australian Rugby Shield in 2006 before coming seventh in the one-off Australian Rugby Championship in 2007. Sydney's competition is run by the NSWRU, which has refused to invite an ACT team for the past five years.
    Canberra Times

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0322-qq91.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gosh. A second tier competition. Who'd have thought THAT would be a good idea? Why didn't someone think of it before now?

Oh, hang on............

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the lack of top tier refs would be the stumbling block Ecky

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Gosh. A second tier competition. Who'd have thought THAT would be a good idea? Why didn't someone think of it before now?

Oh, hang on............
    On the surface this would appear to be a far better solution than the last one...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    the lack of top tier refs would be the stumbling block Ecky
    2nd tier comp...2nd tier refs....simple

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    But aren't some of the current refs 'second-teir' standard?
    Or do they just have a 'warm-up' period of a couple of weeks?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I was trying to keep a straight face when i posted that

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    2nd tier comp...2nd tier refs....simple
    I'll phone Jaco Peyper see if he's busy.

Seriously though, I don't know about anyone else but I'd pay an extra 10-20% for membership if it included a curtain raiser and I'd probably drink more while I was at it too. At an average 10k members per franchise and $250 per membership adding on 15% would be $375k or about 80k each (figures are far off exact but not a bad ballpark) surely that'd be enough to fund a 8 game home and away series. If not, a modest investment from the ARU should fill the gap.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    ..........straining to..............not......comment.........

vCash
    if they want a genuine second tier comp this isnt the right option, super14 barely draws enought interst on its own let alone a second tier of it drawing any interest.

It could however work as a fix in the short term, maybe have a home and away series against all the other Australian sides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'll phone Jaco Peyper see if he's busy
    That was 2nd tier not 5th tier

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    It could however work as a fix in the short term, maybe have a home and away series against all the other Australian sides.
    Next year in the Super 15 we are supposed to have mostly home and away games against other Australian sides so why not just bring the 'second' team as well and have them play a curtain raiser?

vCash
    A much needed comp, but probably cost prohibitive. Though in some aspects should be a lot cheaper than the ARC/APC as the venue, fixtures, advertising and various sundry bits and peices are already in place.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, that is exactly what he is proposing TOCC, eight matches as part of the new format S15.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Yeah, that is exactly what he is proposing TOCC, eight matches as part of the new format S15.
    That's the aspect that I like. Don't have to transplant players for makeshift teams either.

So 8 games each makes 20 games overall by my count?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Correct for mine too Beige.
    So the Force would play four matches in Perth and one each in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.
    And if there was no Aus derbies in the final two rounds then they could even run an independent Finals series, but that is secondary.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast