Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gitsgate

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Gitsgate

Mark Ella has come out with possibly the most balanced article I have read yet regarding the whole Giteau signing issue and the ramifications for Rugby Union in Australia.
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting that Larkam thinks that the corporate money would have been better put in at the grass roots level......

I feel that the grass roots level will be better for having a stronger Force side and all the kids aspiring to that level.

Put that extra participation at the junior level together with the traditional funding of meat trays, player subs, monster raffles, hamburger stands etc etc and you will get more and more kids and clubs and potential Force players in the future.

To think that a big corporate will throw half a million at the Joondalup Juniors or the Carine Colts is unrealistic. The clubs will look after themselves with some help from Rugby WA and ARU and life goes on..

Hope I didnt ramble....its a nice red here....

PS....as Rugby is the game played in Heaven, Jesus was a Front Rower.....though it is rumoured he played once in the backs for the Jerusalem Juniors...

vCash
    Excellent article by a superstar of the past( hail the great man).
    And i agree that it was money well spent, as if it raises the profile of rugby in the west, and that in itself will attract more juniors who will aspire to make the big league. Therefore creating a revolving door of local talent. And, it`s not as though there isn`t support of the junior ranks at present, but in the future, clubs will be able to advertise along the lines of " Home club for the likes of....etc".
    I know when i played in Sydney, For Blakehurst, i played in the frontrow, which was also were Phil Kearns started his career... Little things like that attract kids to the game, and thats what the signing of big names will do for WARU

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Nick Taylor & Rebecca Wilson offer their views on GitsGate.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

Wilson is full of it ....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    not wrong coach...was reading it over sunday breakfast and near choked on my wheeties....

but......all publicity is good

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well it would appear that the normally stupid Rebecca Wilson hasn't found it too difficult to track down the bandwagon for a joy ride!
    What an absolute crock, has she actually bothered to check out our squad?
    It is by far the youngest and most "developmental" of, if not the S14 then definitely, the Australian teams. Thinking back to the NZ Tour, we had something like 15 of the 22 players of less than two years Super Rugby experience and most of them in their first year.
    Let's see Rebecca, do the names Brown, Cowan, Daruda, Davidson, De Bartolo, Doherty, Graham, Hodgson, Holmes, O'Connor, Sare, Scott and Te Moana mean anything to you?
    Vaguely familiar now?
    Ok, how many had you heard of back around Christmas?
    How about the opportunities given to Cannon, Fitter, Hardy, Henjak, Hilgendorf, Ioane, James, McIsaac, MacKay, O'Young, Pelesasa, Pusey, Shepherd, Staniforth, Vedelago and Welborn?
    How many of them would have been first pick players back in the East prior to the season unfolding?
    That's 29 players from a 40 man squad that are getting opportunities that they wouldn't have got if they had stayed in the East!
    And that's not development?!?!?!?!
    So how about who's left?
    How about these household names, Buatava, Fuimaono, Mailata, Peden, Pocock, Stapleton, Ward, Whalley and Windle?
    Out of our entire 40 man squad, the only two that you could confidently say could have regularly made the 1st XV in the ACT, NSW or Qld this season would be Fava and Sharpe.
    How dare you indicate with your biased drivel that we are not developing "our own" squad?
    Yes, there is one Western Australian born player, more will come with time.
    That’s the whole reason for the team being in Western Australia!
    Rugby WA is investing huge sums into Rugby Development in Western Australia, possibly more per capita than the other teams, and have had a massive intake of players from around the globe into the local competition all searching to find a way into International Rugby.
    Junior enrolments have gone through the roof in the last two years.
    Development and competition is also growing in an extremely strong Australian Rules country region.
    However, to be forecasting the end of the Rugby World as we know it on the back of one, or even if it turns out to five, top player being lured from the East in our second year is juvenile reporting and demonstrates the complete one-eyed disregard that your kind have for anything west of Broken Hill.
    I challenge you Rebecca, get out of your layer of smog and come to Western Australia to see what is happening over here.
    Then by all means, write whatever you feel appropriate, at least it will be informed drivel.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Does Ms. Wilson actually believe what she's written? If so, she's stupider than I gave her credit for. She even tries to make out that Giteau wasn't worth the "monopoly" money (whatever that means). She declines, however, to state how much she thinks is reasonable.

FFS, Giteau was offered what people were prepared to pay, and while I think it will create higher payments for some players, I don't think it will become the norm. The wailing and gnashing of teeth from other clubs has become farcical, and it's cringe-inducing that they keep invoking the "we're only thinking of what's good for rugby" line. Puh-lease.

And it beggars belief that the Force are at the bottom of the table, yet are accused of "buying a premiership".

Once again, in line with the original article posted, the "Giteau cash" does not represent funds which would otherwise be available for grass-roots development. Any talk which assumes otherwise is pure nonsense.

vCash
    I hope you sent that to wilson, Burgs....What a cow. At least Nick Taylor was on the money.
    Once again, how do you get a successful team without spending cash on talent???

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Here is a thought for everyone to ponder - whether you think that Gits is worth the cash or not, by accepting this offer Gits has left himself wide open. next season when he plays for the Force he is going to have to play every single game mistake free. Or can you imagine the headlines. Heaven forbid he misses a tackle or throws an interecpt. People will question is he really worth that money.

just a thought.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Is Union witnessing its second wave of profesionalism in the third-party payments issue?
    League never really contained it within the salary cap either- that's why clubs got massive fines that set them back years re premierships- or lost premiership points before season started (Warriors) or during season (Bulldogs- all points).

My point is that its very difficult to contain 3rd party stuff by a salary cap. Managers are very slippery customers and corporate dealings can be hard to tie down on paper!

The player draft of AFL, IMHO works better as it places a value on players at draft and transfer time which is particular to the clubs needs,short term and long term. This is especially true at club swaps (trading) where a club surplus in THIS will trade two for THAT tall forward for instance.

Force is developing players and juniors, making WA a rugby state, but it needs high profile matchwinners at the moment, so Giteau is justified . Did anyone complain in NSW when they got Tuqiri & Rogers then Sailor ? Did Rebecca Wilson have a rant then?

I wish Wilson would concentrate on the APC issue re depth of the code, because thats where the players go from junior clubs to rep teams to what ? Theres nothing between club football and S14 teams at the moment- no real regional rep teams (thats why Crusaders are successful along with other NZ S14 teams). We basically have only NSW & Qld producing the players for S14 ! Thats exactly why Rugby chose WA as its new state to develop.

Giteau and Force will not bankrupt union or S14. It all just raises the bar of union to its next level.

If the rumours are true and Brumbies do re-locate to Melbourne (and develop Vic juniors like Ioane) then a future S16 team could be located in South Australia to complete the Oz Rugby picture.
    Would Ella like that! Would Rebecca Wilson bemoan gloom and doom ? Its only early days yet, but the Force's WA Rugby future is as bright as a golden Cottesloe sunset !

vCash
    So you agree with me about Ms Wilson then then do you Burgs?

vCash
    ho hum, yet another jumps on the wagon...
    http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/a...6335612869.html

In reading recent online articles, I've discovered why many don't have head shots...

http://thewholeforce.com/photos/gregory.jpg
    http://thewholeforce.com/photos/bec.jpg

vCash
    Hehe, very good Coach. Had me going one direction then you threw a curveball.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Just when you think Coach is all business and no fun - he surprises us yet again

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    Here is a thought for everyone to ponder - whether you think that Gits is worth the cash or not, by accepting this offer Gits has left himself wide open. next season when he plays for the Force he is going to have to play every single game mistake free. Or can you imagine the headlines. Heaven forbid he misses a tackle or throws an interecpt. People will question is he really worth that money.

just a thought.
    It's a good point you make here Exile.
    Absolutely there will be huge pressure directed at him, it will come down to his maturity (and exposure allowed) as to how much it affects him.
    Only a matter of time before some Rebecca Wilson type works out how much it is "per match-minute" or the like.
    However, hopefully Mitch and the crew can protect him early on to let him settle in first and explain to him that it isn't just about him but also what he brings to the others in the squad in experience and opportunity and his value in promoting the code in Western Australia.
    Although not as good a player and not worth anywhere near as much, it is the type of role it would appear that RugbyWA had perhaps earmarked Clyde Rathbone for in the establishment phase over the last year.
    I think most of us will be happy to have Gits instead of Rathbone though?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast