Thread: Sheehan preparing to cop full force of sledging from old Tahs mates

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sheehan preparing to cop full force of sledging from old Tahs mates

Sheehan preparing to cop full force of sledging from old Tahs mates

RUPERT GUINNESS

March 18, 2010
    Western Force halfback Brett Sheehan has been called a lot of things in his playing days.
    But the firebrand No.9 expects to find himself on the receiving end of new sledges on Saturday in Perth when he comes up against his former Waratahs teammates.
    ''I get baited every game I play,'' Sheehan said yesterday. ''It's nothing new to me … I've played a lot of football against a lot of those [Waratahs] guys in club rugby. It's not going to be new.
    ''There will probably be a few different sledges, I am sure. There could be a couple of personal things, but that's part of the game.
    ''I'm expecting that, but I'm sure I can give as good as I get. That's part of the game. Sledging goes on every week. I would be surprised if nothing came.''
    Sheehan, 30, is aware the Waratahs - who yesterday named an unchanged 22-man line-up for the second week in a row - plan to give their old teammate of four years some niggle.
    Their idea is to rattle Sheehan and provoke ill-disciplined responses that could cost points. But he says he has learnt to walk the fine line between unleashing his confrontational fiery style of play without letting emotions boil over at the slightest aggravation by the opposition.
    ''I have matured as a player,'' Sheehan said. ''One of the things I pride myself on is to be fiery and get involved and mix it up with forwards and backs. I've learned you are not going to beat the referee, so there's no point losing my cool and costing my team points or territory.
    ''It is one of the things I have had to look at over the past years.''
    The Force have endured the worst possible start to their season, with injuries and performances putting them last on the ladder and winless after five rounds. However, Sheehan has enjoyed one of his best seasons. He has relished the responsibilities as the starting halfback and his robust game suits the style coached by John Mitchell.
    ''It's disappointing the way things are going [for the team],'' Sheehan said. ''It's been a turbulent time. It is just one of those things where we are looking for answers we can't seem to find. But I'm happy with how I've been playing.
    ''It's good to be given the freedom to play the way I play. That's one of the reasons why I came to Perth. They had faith in my style of game.''
    Not having a regular five-eighth has made his job harder. However, Sheehan is confident the Force's halves pairing will click on Saturday after former All Black David Hill made a rusty start at No.10 against the Reds last Sunday. Hill replaced star South African recruit Andre Pretorius, who suffered a season-ending injury before the tournament.
    ''I probably could have done a little more to control the forwards,'' Sheehan said. ''When you have a solid five-eighth who has been there a long time, he helps direct that. But with 'Hilly' coming in after only a week, it put a bit more emphasis on me to control. It was a little bit of a letdown from that point.
    ''We had a really good session [this week] … that little bit more solid platform between us will help the team. He [Hill] is great for me. He helps direct it now and that's going to make my game a bit easier and my decisions a bit better hopefully this weekend.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0317-qfpt.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs off mark with sledging: Brett Sheehan

Waratahs off mark with sledging: Brett Sheehan

* Ian Payten
    * March 18, 2010 12:00AM

WESTERN Force halfback Brett Sheehan says his old Waratahs teammates are wasting time trying to niggle him this weekend in Perth, saying his leadership role at the new club is too important to snap at the bait.

Sheehan is expecting an "interesting night'' on Saturday when he meets former NSW colleagues for the first time since heading west this year for a regular Force starting spot.

Known in rugby circles as a red-blooded competitor, Sheehan, 29, expects the Waratahs will try to get under his skin and tempt him to blow a fuse - but he says it won't work.

While not retreating from his combative strengths, the Warringah halfback is mindful that, given the crippling injury toll at the winless Force, the last thing the club needs is another senior player on the sidelines.

"I still have a lot of mates at NSW obviously and Phil Waugh is one of my best mates, so I am sure it will be a tough evening,'' Sheehan said.

"I'd be silly not to think there will be a bit of chat and a bit of niggle headed my way.

"Everyone thinks of Brett Sheehan as a feisty player or whatever, and I am not going to change my game. I like to have a go, and not take a backward step. That's part of my playing style.

"But I'd like to think I have also become a different player as well, a more mature player. I certainly won't let anything get to me or disrupt my game.

"I have been asked to take on more a leadership role over here and I am really enjoying that. I know I am only of value to the team if I stay on the field and get us going forward and playing the style of footy we want to play.''

Sheehan has relished his move after being stuck behind Luke Burgess at NSW since mid-2008.

"It's the longest stretch of games I've played since early '08 and I am pretty happy with the way I am going. It is a good feeling to be able to contribute consistently,'' Sheehan said.

After an initial adjustment to life in the west - including a "five-month lull'' in the surf - the avid board rider has settled in the sea-side suburb of Cottesloe and says he has no regrets about leaving the Tahs.

Never has a team needed a fighter like Sheehan than the Force at the moment.

Having lost several key players like Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell last year, the club then saw even more senior stars struck down by long-term injury.

They slumped to their fourth straight loss - a record 50-10 defeat against Queensland - last weekend.

"Obviously we're just not getting the results here at the moment, but I am confident that can change. All the boys are working hard and have really stuck together, so if we can make those little things go our way, we could surprise some people,'' Sheehan said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225842034023

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's getting younger by the minute...
    Good to see some hard hitting honesty about his own match, something that characterises him to me in his playing style, hard and uncompromising.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Sheehan looks very focused this season he'll be fine...

vCash
    Warringah Halfback? I hope this is not a sobriquet in the style of 'one test wallaby' to be compulsorily mentioned at least once in every news article about BS;

'Mad dog' would be more apt monicker for a player who has been arguably, IMHO, the most entertaining Force player to don the Indian Ocean Blue this year!

When does Chuck Norris call it day? When he sees Brett Mad dog Sheehan on the job!

vCash
    I'm sure Sheehan is quite capable of giving as good as he gets. I only hope he does it loud enough for it to be picked up by the ref's mike, because I want to hear it

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Having looked at this season, I don't think getting Sheeno angry is going to be the best tactic....he plays angry and I'm yet to see him snap.

Surely, given the drubbings we've suffered this year, an uncontrolled angry player would have spend time in the bin, but he hasn't (I don't think)

If he gets fired up I reckon he'll just spend all night attempting to bifurcate Luke Burgess.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    On the upside at least it would be for a worthy cause: Bashing Tahs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    and if he does snap. hopefully he punches drew.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think he walks into the changeroom pre match angry, he doesn't need any encouragment

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think he walks into the changeroom pre match angry, he doesn't need any encouragment
    That's why we like him.......we just need him not to go out to the Left Bank with Haig!

C'mon the

vCash
    When it's not match-day Sheehan's a happy, cheery soul. He knows how to save it for the game.