Thread: New South Wales Waratahs ready to face fired up Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New South Wales Waratahs ready to face fired up Western Force

New South Wales Waratahs ready to face fired up Western Force

By Jon Geddes
    March 16, 2010 New South Waratahs are preparing to confront a Western Force side intent on avoiding the humiliation of an Australian whitewash in this season's Super 14.
    Western Force head into the Perth game after losing 24-15 to the Brumbies in round one and being thrashed 50-10 by Queensland Reds in week five.
    Defeating the Waratahs at home would restore some much-needed credibility for the Perth-based unit, currently sitting bottom of the ladder with no points.
    "It is their last chance really, they have been beaten by the other two Aussie sides," Waratahs winger Lachie Turner said.
    "They will be very desperate to make sure it doesn't happen for a third time. We have our work cut out for us, it's going to be a tough one. I'm sure they will bounce back with a pretty solid performance and come out a bit harder than they did against the Reds."
    Turner said the Force had nothing to lose now so that made them very dangerous, especially against a side like the Waratahs.
    And Turner's observations were echoed by Waratahs coach Chris Hickey, who said all the Australian teams were motivated by pride whenever they played each other.
    "While their season so far probably hasn't been satisfactory from their point of view, if they can beat us on Saturday that is a feather in their cap isn't it?" he said.
    And he takes no comfort in facing the Force six days after their massive defeat at the hands of the Reds.
    "Those games only serve to motivate teams when they go back to their own home ground," the Waratahs coach said.
    The Waratahs were quick to dismiss any suggestions of complacency in the wake of their sensational 73-12 win over the Lions.
    "I think we realise just how big this game is. Every time you play an Aussie side is a massive spectacle and all the boys will be ready," Turner said.
    Hickey said it was important for the players to take confidence from a game such as the Lions victory.
    "But they realise very quickly you have to move on to the next challenge - and the Force will certainly throw out a strong challenge for us on Saturday," he said.
    Hickey is optimistic that in-form backrower Wycliff Palu will be fit for the Aussie derby after scans revealed he suffered a mild hamstring strain against the Lions.
    Meanwhile, Stirling Mortlock's manager met ARU officials on Monday afternoon as the Wallabies star wrestles with the big decision of whether to sign up with the new Melbourne Rebels outfit or head overseas in 2011.
    "So we will get some clarity on that front pretty soon," Mortlock said.
    "It is the first time in my career when I have genuinely sat down and thought long and hard about going overseas (or) staying.
    "I am really not too sure what I want to do.
    "At this stage Melbourne seems like a great opportunity - a fantastic opportunity, and one that I never really thought I would be looking into."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    trying the underdog tag wont work on this one mate!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!