Brett Sheehan shines as Western Force's linchpin

MR VERSATILE: Western Force scrumhalf Brett Sheehan is set to partner new recruit David Hill in the backline. Source: Getty Images

SCRUMHALF Brett Sheehan has defied the natural laws of rugby by playing with five halfback partners this season, yet still shining in a decimated Western Force team.

Only this week, Sheehan welcomed All Black first five-eighth David Hill to Perth as his latest hunting partner, with five sessions to get up to speed before facing the rampant Reds in Brisbane next Sunday.
It speaks volumes for Sheehan's performance this season that the man he replaced, Brumbies scrumhalf Josh Valentine, is long forgotten.
While James O'Connor has looked a class act slotting into the vital playmaker position, he can thank Sheehan's crisp, accurate service from the base of the scrum for giving him space to express his sublime talent.
At the same time, the 30-year-old, Geraldton-born former Waratah has been given the long-range penalty kicking duties. He slotted one monster against the Chiefs last Saturday that was in the Dan Carter-Francois Steyn range.

"One of the reasons I joined the Emirates Western Force was because I wanted to play my own game of football," Sheehan said. "(Coach) John Mitchell and (assistant coach) Richard Graham have allowed me to do that and it makes me feel comfortable.
"Having said that, it's been quite a trying time. I'm on to my fifth flyhalf (in three Super 14 games), which says something about rugby injuries."
The only first five-eighth the three-capped Wallaby had time to establish a cohesive combination with was South African Andre Pretorius - out of the Super 14 before he had even kicked a ball in anger for the Force.
"I'd built up a good relationship with Andre and it was tragic when we lost (through injury) a brilliant player," Sheehan said.
"To lose guys in key positions hurts, but it's given younger players an opportunity to step up and learn."
From scrumhalf, Sheehan has been given the closest view of teenager O'Connor's talents.
"I think he's a great player and he's going to be a wonderful flyhalf, fullback or centre," Sheehan said. "He's shown glimpses of what he can do, but we tend to forget that he's only 19 playing a position in senior rugby that's a tough ask.
"He handled it well having to step up and did a great job. But he's still learning to control a game. Personally, I think his best position for now is 15 from where he can still come in (to first five-eighth) from second and third phase."
Now Sheehan must dance a new tango with Hill.
"He's been a great player for a number of years who directs play around the field and takes the ball up," Sheehan said.
And the secret to launching the ball through the uprights from 50-plus metres?
"I don't take a long run-up and try and hit the cover off the ball," Sheehan said. "It's just slow technique and relax. Keep your head down and, like a golf swing, follow through."

A bye this week and a few days off has given the Force time to reflect on where that first win is going to come from.
First weve got to keep facing ourselves and realise weve had a tough road, weve got to keep fronting up and stick together.
We cant start fracturing and look for excuses. This is one of the best groups Ive been involved with and morale is still quite high. In every game weve been in it until the last 15-20 minutes, when lapses of concentration have cost us. Its in that last quarter that weve got to keep focus, is Sheehans prognosis.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/bre...-1225837743386