Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs prove too strong for the Western Force, winning 37-19 in Perth

vCash

Chiefs prove too strong for the Western Force, winning 37-19 in Perth

Hat-trick Chiefs a major force

The Chiefs juggernaut rolls on with Ian Foster's side claiming a perfect three from three on the road, their latest win coming at the expense of the Western Force.

The Chiefs brushed off a third quarter revival from the Force to storm to a 37-19 win in Perth on Sunday morning (NZ time).

Added to the wins over the Sharks and Lions in South Africa this has been a sensational start to the campaign from a side that are traditionally sluggish out of the blocks.

Their homecoming party against the Reds in Hamilton on Friday night should be some occasion.

This is a Chiefs outfit oozing confidence.

The progress they have made over the past 12 months has been quite remarkable and was there for all to see in Perth. The lineout, last season's Achilles heel, has become a real strength this year with two steals responsible for two sensational tries that set up this win.

The Chiefs showed great composure in oppressive heat to claim this latest victory.

At one stage the Force came back to 12-13 just after halftime. But the Chiefs turned up the pace to run out deserved winners.

They even managed to strike late for an invaluable bonus point try. That gives them 14 points on the road and a platform to make a strong push for the semifinals.

Their scrum is in good shape, their attacking play looks as sharp as ever and they have a bit of firepower to come in the form of skipper Mils Muliaina waiting at home.

Last night Lelia Masaga celebrated his return from shoulder surgery to produce a powerful second half performance that resulted in one superb try and almost another.

On top of that they have Stephen Donald in sensational goalkciking form, landing seven from eight in this match to go with his perfect dozen the week before.

Donald and James O'Connor traded early penalties to get the game under way.

Early attacks were thwarted by some handling errors from both teams but the Chiefs showed their ever-present danger at the end of the first quarter with a lineout steal on their own 22. Brendon Leonard kicked and regathered to start a sweeping movement downfield for hooker Hika Elliot to finish off.

Donald goaled again for a 13-3 lead but Brett Sheehan got three points back for the home side with a 50m penalty just before the break to make it 13-6 at halftime.

The Chiefs made a sloppy start to the second half as they conceded two penalties to let the Force back into the match.

Donald got them back on track with his steady boot and then Masaga sprung to life with a sensational try when he was given a touch of space from good breaks by Dwayne Sweeney and Callum Bruce off a lineout turnover.

Masaga almost got over again with some solo magic. But the Chiefs' pressure told when big No 8 Colin Bourke crashed over from a five-metre scrum.

The Chiefs went hunting for the bonus point but conceded an intercept try to Ryan Cross.

But their persistence paid off when young replacement Tim Nanai-Williams ducked over from the base of a ruck close to the Force line with time almost up.

It was mission accomplished for Foster's troops. Now they have to cash in at home.

Western Force 19: Ryan Cross try; James O'Connor con, 3 pen; Brett Sheehan pen.

Chiefs 37: Hika Elliot, Lelia Masaga, Colin Bourke, Tim Nanai-Williams tries; Stephen Donald 4 con, 3 pen.

Half Time: 6-13

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-a-major-force

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Chiefs prove too strong for the Western Force, winning 37-19 in Perth

Western Force put up an early fight before they were blown away by a powerful Chiefs outfit 37-19 at ME Bank Stadium in Perth.

After trailing by just a point early in the second half, the potent Chiefs lineup finally clicked into gear in oppressive heat to storm to their third win in as many games this season.

Hooker Hika Elliott scored the only try of the first half before Lelia Masaga, Colin Burke and Tim Nanai-Williams crossed in the second period to earn the Chiefs a four-try bonus point.

Centre Ryan Cross scored a consolation try for the home side in the 75th minute, but the Force's attack looked toothless throughout the match.

The wounded Force remain winless this season and it looks like a long year ahead for John Mitchell's men.

The Chiefs, fresh from their record 72-65 win over the Lions last weekend, will head back to the Waikato after a successful three-game tour of South Africa and Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23210,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by pieter blackie; 27-02-10 at 21:27. Reason: added photo

vCash
    we should get a refund from RugbyWA for having to sit through that and have to listen to some wannabee cheifs fans, who the majority of probably have never 1. Been to Waikato, 2. Will rock up to the game vs Canturbury in a few weeks wearing Crusaders shirts :\. Proof of this was their soccer chants, they are typical bandwagon kiwis who would of been going for the Wellington Phenox last week as well.

Rage over. Now bring back AJ!

vCash
    The only thing I cannot understand is why Mitchell did not do any decent tactical replacements like when he saw Pek struggle to hook him and give Ryan a throw maybe just maybe he could have put it in straight
    Imagine if only we could win the line-outs in the last 20 minutes!!!!

He replaced Tim with Matt Dunning which just wasn't prepared to even once put his body on the line.

Sharpie was an stand out His commitment to the rucks and malls was 110% his defence flawless I wish he can father his commitment to the rest of the team.( I hope that is the right way to say it in English)

Spanner did well for his first game back it almost looked as if he was never gone

The rest can all improve and hopefully with the buy weekend next week we can come back and have a good game against the Reds

Keep faith guys and girls it can only get better from here on

vCash
    Am now at home eating chocolate cake

I am consoled by the memories of Sharpie's defence and Cross's intercept, but I don't understand just HOW FORWARD a pass has to be before it's called.

Anyway. Back to my cake...

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    While I was certainly hoping for more from the backs, it was clear Cullet was still a bit short of a run. Spanner, not surprisingly, worth his weight in anything you care to name. Sheehan tenacious. Still looking for more cohesion - maybe if we can field something like the same lineup two games in a row....

A little hard to get on top mentally with some below par reffing.... where was the card for the headhunt on Wykesy, what was with the lifting penalty on JOC - he almost tucked him in for the night - and Masaga's try came from two, count them, two forward passes. The little SAF should have been wearing black & white stripes - I'm sure he was seeing quarterbacks!

Hmmmm - off to watch the replay and look for some more positives to take out of the game - Sharpie was a rock - again, Hodgo looking good for Wallaby place. I am starting to feel better already...

Go the Force!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Rookie
    vCash
    Pieter A better description would be donner it into them

Last edited by Jambooi; 27-02-10 at 22:19.
    Jambooi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    Am now at home eating chocolate cake

I am consoled by the memories of Sharpie's defence and Cross's intercept, but I don't understand just HOW FORWARD a pass has to be before it's called.

Anyway. Back to my cake...

It's only forward if it's called.

Our main problems is we don't have a hooker, or a spark in the backline.

The secont is fixed with Hill coming in which pushes O'Connor out to actually run the ball more, but we still need to win our own line outs.

Rookie
    vCash
    Pieter A better description would be donner it into them

Jambooi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    It's only forward if it's called.
    Ah, then I must get my prescription(s) checked. I must have imagined it all!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Rookie
    vCash
    Its the 3 refs prescriptions that should be checked.

But back to the game. Remember the refs decide beforehand who the best team is amd make sure they let them win. With the WF history this year they will always be selected second.

But cheer up At least we have a good chance of winning the wooden spoon twice in 5 years. Not many teams can boast that!

Jambooi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    Ah, then I must get my prescription(s) checked. I must have imagined it all!
    The refs have been absolutely useless over the last few years so theres no point even pointing out if a pass is forward or not!

We even have the NH nations feeling sorry for us now with how bad Kaplan was in the Wales vs France match.

Champion
    vCash
    I want to be negiative for a second, and I'll probably get some "smotes" from my Force Family, but he goes..

After watching the replay due to work committments unable to attend the game live I saw that :

1) -
    Force need urgently a hooker, okay Pek is doing a good job (maybe club rugby but not at super rugby standards) I could count on one hand how many throws we won on our own throw in.
    2) - Is john mitchell got his house on the market ?!?! (meaning he's not continuing) our game plan is the same game plan that we had against the brumbies at Subiaco Oval 5 years ago, and all the clubs know it and are lining our boys up ready to put the shoulder into them, Plus its 40degrees during the game and the first sub comes on at the 65th minute, come on mitchell, You can see the forwards are blowing with there efforts - replace them.
    3) - JOC is putting his life and effort in, so are the other 14 on the field but we need a classy Fly half.
    4) - David Hill (i could be standed corrected and i hope i am) but he's played 2 games for the All Blacks - mid week games in the northern hempishere tour, wouldn't call that a test, like the media is making him out to be the 1st Dan Carter.

In the off season we've lost (1st grade backs) Valentine, Giteau, Mitchell, Pele,
    We have replaced them with Sheehan, Pretious, Inman, Hill... Okay some good with some bad, but the team we have been together for some time and they are still making school boy errors (hospital passes / knock ons / kicking out on the full)

We are rooted to the table for a reason, not that we've played 3 title contenders, but we aren't capable of running out 80 minutes.

Against the Brumbies we were in it for 70 minutes
    Against the Canes we were in it for..... were we ever in it ??
    Against the Cheifs we were in it for 50 minutes.

vCash
    It's pretty sad when the highlight of your much anticipated weekend rugby trip to Perth is the sweet parking you manage to find

Freaking horrible. Bartholemuz was a waste of money. Cowan should not be hooking. If we don't do something with that backline and it's dependence on JOC then we are going to break him, which would be one of the great shames of rugby. Our scrummaging, after all these new recruits, has worsened from last season. Bring back Ben Castle. Sheehan is gutsy - where's something to back his efforts. Overall, I'm devastated. I'm going back to my chocolate bar

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I won't Smite you Benny, but your comments re: Hill need some context.

David Hill only got 2 tests because Henry chose McAlister over him based on potential, rather than form.

In 05 & 06 the best backline in NZ Rugby was the Moolos & chiefs, with 10) Hill 12) Donald 13) Kahui.

Grabbing Hill IS a major bonus for us, and a much better playe than Pretorious.

You just need to remember that Henry sucks (I say this as someone who bleeds black) and chose people based on his own vision rather than form, Masoe over Holah is another perfect example of this.

vCash
    Its starting to look like 2006...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast