Vickerman and Gasnier on Robbie's radar

GREG GROWDEN

February 24, 2010
Sought after . . . former Wallabies second-rower Dan Vickerman (in headgear) captains Cambridge University but could return in time for next year's World Cup in New Zealand. Photo: Getty Images

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans has not given up on Dan Vickerman being part of next year's World Cup campaign, revealing that the former Waratahs second-rower will shortly be sighted in the Sydney club ranks.
The departure of Vickerman to Cambridge University in 2008 where he has been studying land economy has had a big effect at the Waratahs and Wallabies, as both teams have experienced difficulties covering his exceptional second-row skills.
The eagerness to get Vickerman back in the national colours has become even more pressing since Australia's premier second-rower, James Horwill, suffered a serious knee injury earlier this month, which will sideline him for the entire season.
Deans said that as Vickerman's studies in England would not be completed until next year, there was no chance of him returning to the Wallabies' squad this season. But there remained some hope of Vickerman, 30, being involved in the 2011 World Cup campaign. ''We're in constant dialogue,'' Deans said yesterday. ''He is going to be back here soon playing some rugby at club level. But at this point of time, he is committed to concluding his studies. He is beyond contention until he concludes his studies or until he comes back and says he wants to have a crack. It will involve him signing a contract and committing.''
Sydney University officials were yesterday anticipating Vickerman would again be sighted in their club colours in late June for several weeks. It was a buoyant day for the Students, as they also announced that Waratahs key signing Berrick Barnes would be playing for them this season, and David Campese had joined their coaching staff.
Whether former Kangaroo Mark Gasnier will also soon be running around in the Sydney club ranks is uncertain, but if he soon leaves the French club Stade Francais to return home, Deans said the Wallabies would have him in their sights.
''I've spent a couple of days with [Queensland coach] Ewen [McKenzie] and he knows him. And I've got no doubt he'd be interested in him. If Mark does come back, as far as the ARU is concerned, he would be available for all the franchises,'' Deans said. ''He's had a lot of experience across the board in the back line. I haven't watched a lot of him playing. But he's clearly a very capable athlete.''
In recent days, ARU officials have spoken to Gasnier's management about his future.
Deans said the prospects of Johnathan Thurston crossing codes did not interest him, adding: ''I'm only interested in people who are playing rugby. So until such time as they are playing rugby, it doesn't concern me. And what they are paid doesn't concern me. It's how they play.''
Deans has been encouraged by the first two rounds of the Super 14, in particular the impact of the interpretations at the breakdown, which provides greater support to the attacking team.
''Usually teams in the early weeks are quite conservative and do the bare minimum. But this year, there has been a lot of constructive rugby, and the emphasis of the referees has helped, by providing more opportunities. So the players have had more confidence to carry the ball,'' Deans said.
But some tinkering at the breakdown was still required.
''Now that the referee has dealt with the tackler and that source of frustration is gone, there's no excuse now for attacking support players diving in. Referees should now be able to shift their focus to catering for both sides, so that you actually lift the height of the ruck and get less debris.
''In doing that you will have a genuine contest. If they allow the attacking team to have total rights, including being able to seal the area, what will happen is that the contest will disappear, and you will end up with cluttered defensive lines, which is worse.
''If you deny the contest totally, there will be fast recycles, no one visiting the contact area, cluttered defensive lines and it will be ugly. You will end up with more kicking.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0223-p0rj.html