Thread: PREVIEWS SUPER 14 WEEK 3

vCash

Thumbs up PREVIEWS SUPER 14 WEEK 3

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

Evil Greg Clark previews Super 14 Rd 3

February 23, 2010

Well I certainly wasn't expecting Queensland Reds to be leading the Aussie charge after the opening two weeks of the Super 14, but I'm thrilled with their early form and long may it continue.

After the narrow loss to New South Wales Waratahs in round one, they bounced back and thumped the Crusaders by 21 points. It was the Reds' first win over the Kiwi heavyweights since 1999, and they also picked up a four-try bonus point as well.

Unfortunately, Queensland provided the only good news in what was a very disappointing second weekend for our other sides. The Waratahs were the only team not to score a try, and that has to be a major worry considering the amount of talent they have. The Brumbies, meanwhile, put themselves in a position to beat the defending champions, the Bulls, but they went off the boil in the final quarter. While injury-ravaged Western Force did better than many expected against the Hurricanes, they were never really in the hunt and they are occupying bottom place on the table.

A total of 461 points were scored in round two, including 137 in the record-breaking match between the Chiefs and the Lions. While both teams' defence was sub-standard, it's just another example of how teams are more prepared to chance their arm and spread the ball this year. It makes for a better spectacle, and the referees need to be congratulated for the way they are policing the breakdown.

There are two games on Aussie soil this weekend, with the Reds and Force at home. The Waratahs and Brumbies have another tough assignment in South Africa, and both will need to lift if they are to come away with the points.

Crusaders v Sharks
    The Crusaders might be the most successful Super Rugby team in history, but the Reds didn't allow them to get into full flight last week in Brisbane. Without quality possession, even champion fly half Dan Carter failed to stand out. The chances of the Crusaders recording below-par performances in back-to-back weeks are quite slim, and I'm expecting them to bounce back at home in Christchurch - where they enjoy a fantastic record.

The Sharks start a tough road trip, which also includes games in Sydney, Canberra, Dunedin and Wellington. They've dropped their first two games at home, and there are rumours that all is not good in the camp. Maybe a tour like this will bring them closer together, but I haven't seen anything from them in the opening weeks to suggest that they can win regularly on the road. They have never won in Christchurch. Crusaders to win this one.

Stormers v Brumbies
    Like the Cape Town faithful, I've been very disappointed with the Stormers in recent years. They haven't played to their potential, and, despite a couple of high-profile recruits like Bryan Habana and Jaque Fourie, I wanted to see them play a couple of games to see if they could convince me they are ready to challenge for a spot in the play-offs. Last weekend, they outmuscled and outplayed the Waratahs to pass the test. They now look like they have a pack to compete with the best, and they certainly have finishers out wide. The Stormers will be without captain Schalk Burger, but his replacement last week did a good job and they'll be confident of making it three from three to start the season.

The Brumbies, on the other hand, need to improve on their showing against the Bulls last week. They were right in the game until midway through the second half, when their poor discipline let them down. Rocky Elsom made an immediate impact in his Brumbies debut, and Matt Giteau will be much better now he's had a game following an injury lay off. After failing to pick up a point in Pretoria, they will be desperate to come away with some points this week. Even though they haven't won at Newlands since 2004, I'm going to give them another chance this week. The Brumbies to win a close one.

Hurricanes v Lions
    The Hurricanes are unbeaten after two matches, downing the Blues and Western Force and showing they are in line for another good season. Last week, they came up against a Force team that was below strength, and they had little trouble running in seven tries in a 25-point victory. All Blacks winger Hosea Gear was out, but his replacement, David Smith, scored a double. The backline is full of class and the forward pack should have little trouble winning the battle up front.

The Lions might have scored 65 points in last week's high-scoring extravaganza against the Chiefs in Johannesburg, but they fell off far too many tackles as the opposition posted 72 points. If they miss the same amount of tackles again this week, the Hurricanes could put even more points on them. New coach Dick Muir seems to have given them the confidence to throw the ball around, but they don't have the cattle across the park to match the Hurricanes. I have no hesitation in tipping the Canes to make it three from three.

Reds v Blues
    Ewen McKenzie and Queensland Reds, take a bow. They saved Australian rugby from total embarrassment last weekend, when they beat the Crusaders in Brisbane to post the only win in week two for an Aussie team. They did it in style, as well, running in four tries to two to pick up a bonus point. They gained the upper hand after a slow start and never let go, even when hard-working captain James Horwill left the field in the second half with a season-ending knee injury. Will Genia and Quade Cooper dictated terms, and the outside backs each had a blinder.

This week, they head back to their "spiritual" home, Ballymore, and hopefully it will be a full house to see if they can repeat the effort. Genia is the new captain with former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid his deputy.

They'll miss Horwill, but injuries are part of the game and it opens the door for another player to step up. It was felt before the season that the Reds wouldn't have the depth to cover for injuries to key personnel so this will be a good test.

The Blues are going for back-to-back wins after they beat the Highlanders in Dunedin last weekend. They have struggled to play for the full 80 minutes in their two games, and they received some lucky breaks in last week's four-point win over the Highlanders. If the Reds can start well and apply some pressure, they will be in with a real chance of going back-to-back in a single season for the first time since 2005.

Last year, the Reds beat the Blues to break a long drought in New Zealand, and I'm tipping them to win at Ballymore. Reds for me.

Western Force v Chiefs
    This completes a huge Saturday night triple-header, and I will be calling this one at ME Bank Stadium. Hopefully a good crowd will be there because the injury-ravaged the Force need support now like never before. It's great that they've been able to sign Scott Staniforth and former Chiefs fly half David Hill to help fill a couple of holes, and we saw some good things at times in Wellington last week - which should give them some confidence in this one. Cut out the missed tackles and they'll be in with a show. Get James O'Connor into the action as much as possible, and anything could happen.

The Chiefs are coming off two wins in South Africa, but they picked up some injuries while running up 72 points in Johannesburg last weekend. Major strike weapon Sitiveni Sivivatu is out with a shoulder injury, and they'll also be missing captain Sione Lauaki, who's been suspended for two weeks. Lock Craig Clarke and Prop James McGougan are also sidelined through injury. They will, however, have Lelia Masaga back from injury, and the Force must watch him closely.

I reckon the Force will give this a great shake, but the Chiefs are last year's beaten finalists and they are unbeaten in 2010. I can't ignore the form guide. Chiefs, but only just.

Cheetahs v Highlanders
    Have the Cheetahs finally come to terms with adjusting from the Currie Cup provincial competition to the Super 14? Or are the Sharks simply not up to it this year? I have to give the Cheetahs credit for beating the Sharks at Durban last weekend, but I'm also hearing the Sharks don't have a lot of harmony in the camp and that's why they've lost two at home. The Cheetahs have uncovered some new talent, and they have a great leader in Juan Smith.

The Highlanders lost to the Crusaders and then picked up a bonus point for finishing within seven of the Blues last week, so they don't have a lot to show from their two opening games. The trip from Dunedin to South Africa is one of the toughest any team has to make so they'll need to be fully recovered from jet-lag because the Cheetahs will be full of confidence. The men from Bloemfontein have a tough Australasian tour coming up, and this is a game they will have targeted as "must win" at home.

The Cheetahs have never beaten the Highlanders since joining the expanded competition in 2006, but I'm picking them to break their duck this week. Cheetahs to win.

Bulls v Waratahs
    This should be the match of the round, but I'm not convinced. Defending champs the Bulls against a team chosen by many as a serious semi-finals contender, but we haven't seen anything from the Waratahs in the early weeks to suggest they can live up to the hype. Tahs fans rejoiced when Reds playmaker Berrick Barnes joined NSW, but the backline still isn't functioning. Having three of the best finishers in the tournament out wide has been a waste of time so far because Lachlan Turner, Drew Mitchell and Sosene Anesi haven't received any quality ball from set pieces.

Last week's loss to the Stormers was frustrating to watch as the Tahs made mistake after mistake, and virtually handed the win to the opposition. I know, and they know, they are certainly capable of better things, but they don't seen to want to spread the ball and move away from their forward-oriented game plan. When the Stormers matched them up front last week, there didn't appear to be any alternative game plan. They were the only team who couldn't score a try in week two. I rest my case.

The Bulls, on the other hand, have run up a half-century in both their opening games, and they are building a very good record at home - winning their past 13 games. The Brumbies learned last week that if you give away penalties, Morne Steyn will punish you with the boot. The classy fly half also crossed for two tries. The Tahs would have been sweating on Victor Matfield being suspended for his hit on Ricky Elsom last week, but the Bulls captain got away with it.

I think the Waratahs will have to wait to get home to get their season back on track, while the Bulls will match them up front this week and they'll definitely use their backs. Bulls for me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Evil Greg Clark previews Super 14 Rd 3

February 23, 2010

Well I certainly wasn't expecting Queensland Reds to be leading the Aussie charge after the opening two weeks of the Super 14................ we haven't seen anything from the Waratahs in the early weeks to suggest they can live up to the hype...............we saw some good things at times in Wellington last week - which should give them some confidence in this one........The Brumbies, on the other hand, need to improve.......I'm going to give them another chance this week.

Cough, cough, gag...cough.

Some experts never learn.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    apart from the Bias Brumbies call id say hes given quite a level headed break down for a change
    8/10 from Clarkie..

only one i think he's way off on is the Brumbies Stormers.. Stormers will lift and play an expansive game to Match the oppositions style of play.. last week they played it close , beating the tahs at their own game.. this week they'll let slip the dogs of War out wide..

Force - Chiefs call is honest and although my heart says Force by 10 my head says Chiefs will sneak in with a break-away try.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Combining Clarkies with Zim's and I think that is pretty close to on the money

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The plusses for the Force are that Mils and Sivivatu are out. Masaga may be back but he probably won't be super fit and is very laziness prone. It'll be interesting to see their make-up minus both Clarke and Lauaki. I reckon we could have the grunt on them in the pack and again need to keep it a bit tight as they'll likely play 3 backrowers with a high workrate.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'd have to say, his assessment of Giteau aside I thought the call was pretty OK....anybody else would have been calle dout after having gone missing for a whole game, but Giteau gets 'will be better after having a run' The Brums will struggle with the Stormers, who in some ways are looking as dangerous as the Bulls. The Force review was honest. I rate them as a chance if we can get the new boys into the backline, if the backline isn't too disrupted by this experience and if the Chiefs suffer from their losses as expected......there's a lot of ifs there and I'm not necessarily expecting a win, but wouldn't be too surprised if a win came our way.

C'mon the