Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: QRU turns to ARU for financial help

vCash
    Of cause you cringe... I understand that... Why should loyal Reds fans pay the price for poor administration? It’s not fair... But this is where the QLDRU is leading the Reds and there fans... Nevertheless referring back to one of the articles QLDRU board members don't have to get to cocky when going to the ARU to cover their financial failings. The ARU place its terms on the table not the other way around. Let's just hope the ARU are fair-minded and the QLDRU put a realistic future business plan on the table to grow their returns in QLD.

I'm not QLD bashing here TOCC it pisses me off when these sports administrators get on boards and run down their unions. NSW and WA has still got jokers like this also...

The good news is the Reds are looking good under McLink and I'm sure with the talent coming on will do better and better...

Separating all Super 14 teams from the unions might be a good idea. If unions are to be paid for developing players amateurs will have to sign contracts... I can’t see it working… you can't stop people crossing borders... Most development at amateur level is done by local clubs not the unions…

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Of cause you cringe... I understand that... Why should loyal Reds fans pay the price for poor administration? It’s not fair... But this is where the QLDRU is leading the Reds and there fans... Nevertheless referring back to one of the articles QLDRU board members don't have to get to cocky when going to the ARU to cover their financial failings. The ARU place its terms on the table not the other way around. Let's just hope the ARU are fair-minded and the QLDRU put a realistic future business plan on the table to grow their returns in QLD.

I'm not QLD bashing here TOCC it pisses me off when these sports administrators get on boards and run down their unions. NSW and WA has still got jokers like this also...

The good news is the Reds are looking good under McLink and I'm sure with the talent coming on will do better and better...

Separating all Super 14 teams from the unions might be a good idea. If unions are to be paid for developing players amateurs will have to sign contracts... I can’t see it working… you can't stop people crossing borders... Most development at amateur level is done by local clubs not the unions…
    ...and the Union funds the local clubs.

Try to keep up Muddy.

vCash
    Muddy dont flatter yourself I cringed at your lack of understanding about the topic, it pains me to see people talk about things beyond there grasp
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Muddy dont flatter yourself I cringed at your lack of understanding about the topic, it pains me to see people talk about things beyond there grasp
    Posted via Mobile Device
    you are wrong TOCC,he has a BIG grasp on it

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Shame "IT" is not what the debate is about

I see the score as ; TOCC---- 1
    .........................; Muddie----0

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

QRU board votes itself out of existence in desperate effort for funding

QRU board votes itself out of existence in desperate effort for funding

* Wayne Smith
    * March 06, 2010 12:00AM

THE Queensland Rugby Union, which yesterday came under the control of a John O'Neill-chaired Special Executive Committee, will discuss with the state government whether it can liquefy all or part of its $18 million Ballymore asset to solve its financial crisis.

The QRU board effectively voted itself out of existence yesterday -- for the first time in its 127-year history -- when it agreed to delegate all its powers to the SEC in exchange for an unspecified ARU financial assistance package.

The five-man SEC will be made up of ARU chief executive O'Neill, fellow ARU administrator Peter Friend, and senior QRU officials Rod McCall and Jim Carmichael, with the fifth position still to be filled.

QRU chairman McCall said yesterday all options for extricating Queensland from its financial mess were now on the board table, including the previously unthinkable one of handing back a part of Ballymore to the state government to re-zone and redevelop.

"There are examples of stadiums being handed back to various governments, redeveloped, and then the proceeds being handed back to the sporting organisation," said McCall.

McCall said the ARU assistance initially would be used to help meet operational costs. "I'm sure the ARU has a limit on how much money they are prepared to give us, but absolutely no dollar figure has been set.

"This year is about consolidation, next year will be about opportunity, the year after will be about growth," McCall said.

No time limit has been set for Queensland to repay the loan. When the ARU bailed out the NSWRU in 2000, it administered the game there for just over three years but the fact that the two organisations were headquartered in Sydney made it logistically possible for ARU chief executive John O'Neill to run both.

In the case of the QRU, however, the day-to-day running of the union is expected to remain in the hands of McCall, QRU CEO Jim Carmichael and the board, although all will be answerable to O'Neill.

"We thought it best to get the ARU on side first but now we will be trying to speak with the state government," said McCall.

"But a whole range of things will be discussed, not just Ballymore."

McCall also has not abandoned hope the ARU will revisit with the Rudd federal government its decision not to honour the $24 million grant awarded to rugby by the outgoing Howard government during its final days in office.

"Rugby has not seen a lot of money from the federal government and I would hope in an election year that the ARU would be talking to them about sending some funding assistance our way," he said.

Meanwhile, the CEOs of the NSWRU and ACTRU, Jim L'Estrange and Andrew Fagan, both admitted yesterday that the margins between staying afloat and going under in the sporting marketplace were so fine that neither would criticise the QRU for getting into financial strife.

"None of us runs massive reserves so you're relying very much on your revenue streams and it doesn't take much to knock that," said L'Estrange.

Former Queensland and Wallabies captain John Eales has commended McCall -- his second-row partner in Australia's 1991 World Cup final victory over England -- and Carmichael for having the courage to blow the whistle on the the QRU's dire financial crisis.

"It's a bit like going to an AA meeting and having the courage to stand up and say "I'm an alcoholic", " said Eales.

"They've had the courage to say that Queensland rugby is broke. It's a disappointing situation and you can't just say that it's an off-field problem or an on-field problem.

"One led to the other, although it's difficult to know which one came first."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225837515588

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6