Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Letting mates down hurt the most, writes Cameron Shepherd

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Letting mates down hurt the most, writes Cameron Shepherd

I WAS watching the cricket on Friday afternoon when Shaun Marsh got back spasms. I thought "poor bloke, about to play for his country and having to pull out during the warm-up".

Then it happened to me!

I was in a great shape, physically and mentally, having come through a tough pre-season and trial phase.

I was really looking forward to playing and then, without any warning or any indication whatsoever, I was ruled out of the game.

It was just a freakish thing. As a professional athlete, the lead-up to a match is intense and to make it all the way to the warm-up and then cop an injury is really tough. After a run of injuries over the past few years I was confident about making a fresh start and then bang!

The kickers and throwers usually go out before everyone else and I went through the same routine as always. Just as I came through for my last warm-up kick I felt this horrible pain down my hip and into my quad.

I kind of walked it off and it didn't feel too bad, but after consulting with the medical staff at the last minute we decided that I wouldn't play.

Most people know that I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle playing for the Wallabies against France in 2008.

It's been such a long recovery to get back to this point and I wanted to repay the faith everyone at the Emirates Western Force had put in me.

I finally felt like I was getting back to my old self. It's the strongest I've been in the gym; the match fitness was coming back and everything felt great.

I was part of the team and ready to go - right up until the final minute unfortunately.

I'll admit that the initial reaction wasn't great. I couldn't sleep that night, up until 4am just thinking what went wrong.

Of course, I'm not the only one to go through the tough periods of injuries. It's part of sport, a hard part, but one that all of us have to deal with at certain times.

Wins in front of our sea of blue gives you a rush that you can't really describe. Then there's the flip-side of having to watch helplessly from the sidelines.

None of us like to be sitting there unable to help out our teammates.

I can't speak highly enough of Haig Sare, who came in as my replacement at the last minute. He'd only just recovered from a pretty serious achilles injury and was going to be eased back in from the bench. He ended up playing the whole game and, under the circumstances, did exceptionally well.

An injury stops you doing what you love, but that serves as motivation to do the rehab and get back as soon as possible.

Lying on the couch isn't all that it's cracked up to be - I can guarantee that. Neither is having someone help you shower because you can't put weight on your leg, as I had to do after that injury a few years ago.

We've been really unlucky to have the strange injuries happening to the Emirates Western Force over a very short period.

There's a really tight bond in our squad and while I know I didn't have any control over what happened, it still feels like I let the boys down.

For me it's about staying mentally focused and working hard. The harder I work, the quicker I'll recover.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/let...-1225830068893

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A good honest account by Shep, gotta feel for him poor bugger.
    Still no real indication of time out though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    A good honest account by Shep, gotta feel for him poor bugger.
    Still no real indication of time out though.

yeah. we know it sucks cam. we miss seeing you out there as much as you miss being out there.
    so give us the score? when are you comming back?

Champion
    vCash
    Cam.... if u r out for the season get on an Emirates Plane to over 35 European distinations and come back with some more players..... u should be able to recruit as well as anyone Go down to the loical bar in France surely there is a 5/8 waiting for u call. But Brock a beer and twist his arm.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    But Brock a beer and twist his arm.
    Not too hard, the way we're going at the moment it would probably break

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What was he thinking a warm up is a sausage roll 10 minutes before a game.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, that's AAC

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Shep is going for the sympathy vote here, big time... nonetheless He is responsible for is preparation and fully stretching very day not just game or training day. I saw photos of him in the off season... fill in the rest... It appears right before match time when he really pushed is body it broke... How many years was he signed for at the Force?

The fact that 3 players have not stretched enough Pretorius, Shep and Bart, and have broken down or locked up is a serious worry. Who is supervising their work outs? The Force are the only team to have this issue at the start of the 2010 season... there is a problem TWF...

Last edited by mudskipper; 15-02-10 at 05:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Shep is going for the sympathy vote here, big time... nonetheless He is responsible for is preparation and fully stretching very day not just game or training day. Is saw photos of him in the off season... fill in the rest... It appears right before match time when he really pushed is body it broke... How many years was he sign bodys ed for at the Force?

The fact that 3 players have not stretched enough Pretorius, Shep and Bart, and have broken down or locked up is a serious worry. Who is supervising their work outs? The Force are the only team to have this issue at the start of the 2010 season... there is a problem TWF...
    Sorry, what was that, I heard somewhere that one of the franchises did not have their two major signings playing due to injuries picked up in training, I think it may have been the Brumbies i am not sure?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Do you even believe the dribble you write mud?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He's pissed again. What a f--- --t

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Sorry, what was that, I heard somewhere that one of the franchises did not have their two major signings playing due to injuries picked up in training, I think it may have been the Brumbies i am not sure?
    Firstly the Wallabies players had an extend break because of the extended Wallabies tour last year by JO'N which was written in RUPA stone. So they've been slow to get to full fitness. Secondly the Brumbies didn't require Giteau and Rocky to beat the force but will need them to beat the Bulls and Stormers both really tough matches. Toomua needs game time and the Force were a prefect run for him. Andy Friends future planning.

The force have had these players all preseason to get ready or longer in Sheps case. Big difference. I think you guys are really light on any criticism of your coach and admin. Raise your expectations.

---------- Post added at 05:01 ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    He's pissed again. What a f--- --t
    loosing it

Last edited by mudskipper; 15-02-10 at 14:25. Reason: speelloooooooooooooooooooooooooo Pftt

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Muddy: Firstly - go find a Brumbies forum worthy of your shit dribbling!

Secondly - Oh there isn't one!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Raise your exceptions."

You.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Do you even believe the dribble you write mud?
    sorry I was writting crap again last night...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast