Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bias Commentary

Rookie
    vCash

Bias Commentary

That's great news the ABC (Canberra) have agreed to share their call. Although chances are, it will be bias. If it is, and it's driving you nuts, you can switch to 882 6PR for the second half and hear another bias call.

And yes, I know, it's a crime we're not doing the whole game. I know it and you know it. But we'll be providing regular score updates for the first half and then Dave Pusey and I will be calling the second half, with on field interviews at full time through till 9pm. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

At least we'll be getting rugby in front of a new audience. Hopefully if it's a tight game, some of the AFL listeners will hang around and hear out the rugby. They might even decide to come out and have a look at the next home game. Once they get in and see the Sea of Blue, we'll have 'em.

Enjoy the game, wherever you're watching and whoever you're listening to, and go the Force.

Cheers
    Mick

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Your boss really needs to get Sports Central onto FM if thaty's possible, Mick. Most heavy industry sites can't recieve AM well, where I work not at all. Most cell phone radios are FM as well. Kinda cuts your potential audience quite a bit, i'd guess.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Hey Mick

Why does yours have to be biased?

Unless you mean you give a really excellent description of the game (ie what's happening to, and around, the ball, regardless of who's got it) and then the expert comments reflect things from a perspective?

Rookie
    vCash
    Good point Ecky. We're not actually bias and we do try to give an excellent description of the game. But if the opposition are only 5m out from the Force line, it's hard not to say 'the Force really need to protect their line' as opposed to 'the Brumbies really need to score'. Even our expert isn't biased. He analyses what happens regardless of who it happens to. If it's a good run, we praise the attack and bag the defence. Hope that all makes sense!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Colliss 882 6PR View Post
    Good point Ecky. We're not actually bias and we do try to give an excellent description of the game. But if the opposition are only 5m out from the Force line, it's hard not to say 'the Force really need to protect their line' as opposed to 'the Brumbies really need to score'. Even our expert isn't biased. He analyses what happens regardless of who it happens to. If it's a good run, we praise the attack and bag the defence. Hope that all makes sense!
    Call to your audience save the spin... its OK...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Hey Mick

Why does yours have to be biased?

Unless you mean you give a really excellent description of the game (ie what's happening to, and around, the ball, regardless of who's got it) and then the expert comments reflect things from a perspective?
    A referees perspective
    read........."interpretation of one eyed"
    I see they got schooled this year on not destroying the game?

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies Horatio

vCash
    How about the Fox commentary?
    Never heard so much Eastern States bias.
    These guys are consistently appalling and listening to them call a game that puts an eastern states side against the Force is cronic.
    Thank Christ my Fox was losing signal. I got a break from their one eyed dribble.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    C'mon Bunter, you're a one eyed Hurricanes fan, what do you care?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Call to your audience save the spin... its OK...
    This from you?......laughable!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SleazyWineBaas View Post
    A referees perspective
    read........."interpretation of one eyed"
    I see they got schooled this year on not destroying the game?
    Might be a referee's perspective - might just be from someone who appreciates the game no matter who is playing.

What it is not is a hopelessly one-eyed supporter's perspective who seeks to blame someone else rather than my team, whom I love above all others and can do no wrong.

I went to a WA vs Vic AFL game many years ago at the WACA and applauded every piece of good play, even if it was the Vics. The dark looks I got from the WA supporters was an eye opener for me. Same thing really.

Maybe being a match official in any code makes one appreciate the game from a different perspective; I don't know because I can't change because that's what I am...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Smile

Might be a referee's perspective - might just be from someone who appreciates the game no matter who is playing.

What it is not is a hopelessly one-eyed supporter's perspective who seeks to blame someone else rather than my team, whom I love above all others and can do no wrong.

I went to a WA vs Vic AFL game many years ago at the WACA and applauded every piece of good play, even if it was the Vics. The dark looks I got from the WA supporters was an eye opener for me. Same thing really.

Maybe being a match official in any code makes one appreciate the game from a different perspective; I don't know because I can't change because that's what I am...
    what,visually challenged?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe being a match official in any code makes one appreciate the game from a different perspective;..
    and hated (onfield at least) by everyone.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

Any comment on the new referee appraisal system and the fact they were lectured about being pedantic @rseholes who were destroying the game with an endless and unwaivering littany of baffling penalties?

The Baby Faced Assasin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Any comment on the new referee appraisal system
    I didn't know there was a new appraisal system. In fact I will be very surprised if there is one. The one in use for 2009 was very comprehensive and, in my humblest of opinions, would not likely be changed much. What do you know about "the new referee appraisal system?
    Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    and the fact they were lectured about being pedantic @rseholes who were destroying the game with an endless and unwaivering littany of baffling penalties?
    Um, let's see:

No.

My only comment would be that I really hate all sweeping generalisations and that I try to avoid cliches like the plague.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    "like the plague' could well be considered a cliche

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast