Thread: Force prelude a real teddy bears' picnic outing, writes Cam Shepherd

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force prelude a real teddy bears' picnic outing, writes Cam Shepherd

THE expectation of another Super 14 season means it's time to resume Rednecks versus Teddy Bears cricket battles that can be as competitive and intense as the pyrotechnics igniting on the rugby field.

Let me explain. As captain of the Teddy Bears I'm referring to a pre-match ritual that has become something of a tradition at the Emirates Western Force.

On the morning of Super 14 matches, mainly away, we seek out a makeshift cricket pitch, like a good car park, for our 15-over spectacle.

Don't let the fun nature of the game fool you. The banter flies thick and fast, as Rednecks skipper Richard Brown will testify.

The props and forwards generally comprising Redneck selection take out their frustrations on the wings, halfbacks and centres, who don't have cauliflower ears and tend to pick up the modelling contracts.

That's the beauty, not to mention the benefit, of playing out wide.

I'm often asked how I've managed to keep my ears in pristine shape without wearing headgear. It's an art form, a trade secret.

You've just got to love those guys getting their noses rubbed down in the depths of the engine room.

A mate pointed out to me this week that my 30 tries puts me among the top-25 Super rugby try-scorers, with the likes of Doug Howlett, Joe Roff, Stirling Mortlock, Christian Cullen and Bryan Habana.

Not that I'm counting. Beating every Australian rival, like last season, is what's important. In 2009, we showed again that we can defeat the best teams in the competition, but we let ourselves down losing easier games we would've won if playing to our potential.

Looking at our history, most guys in the Force were discards from the eastern states who have a point to prove when it comes to local derbies.

It won't be any different next Friday when we kick off against the Brumbies at our new home, ME Bank Stadium.

Will we target our former teammate, Matt Giteau? Let me put it like this: Matt is such an influential player who can take control and dictate a match. If you force him off his game it has to affect his team.

But nothing would taste quite as sweet as sending Matt and his teammates back to boring, old Canberra with long, defeated faces.

As your new The Sunday Times' columnist, taking over from Gits, I'm looking forward to tackling the issues during an exciting season of sport that is always full of colour, controversy and lots of action.

* Force back Cam Shepherd is one of the top-25 all-time scorers in Super Rugby. He writes exclusively for The Sunday Times.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/for...-1225827439355

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    his writing skills have improved

and hes saying the right things at the right time
    "But nothing would taste quite as sweet as sending Matt and his teammates back to boring, old Canberra with long, defeated faces" i like it ... i like it a lot!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    "But nothing would taste quite as sweet as sending Matt and his teammates back to boring, old Canberra with long, defeated faces"
    There were plenty of them in Canberra after our match last year, even the team mascat

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Yep that was quite a game and Sheps made a lot of the right moves in that game

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Veteran
    vCash
    quite a fun read!

Player
    vCash
    I hope none of those props pull their hammies trying bowl those fast balls....

vCash
    Isn't that the job of a flyhalf?

C'mon the