Thread: Brumbies want David Pocock after George Smith's surprise international retirement

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies want David Pocock after George Smith's surprise international retirement

Brumbies want David Pocock after George Smith's surprise international retirement

THE Brumbies will chase the Wallabies' and Western Force openside flanker David Pocock as a replacement for the retiring George Smith, while Australia coach Robbie Deans searches for a new back-up number seven for the Test squad.

Pocock, who displaced Smith as Australia's first-choice openside flanker on the tour of Tokyo, Britain and Ireland last year, is a high priority of Super 15 expansion franchise, Melbourne Rebels, and Queensland Reds.
    But the Brumbies have indicated their intention to bid for Pocock, who has the potential to emulate Smith as one of the greatest openside flankers in the history of the game.

The Brumbies will seek to have discussions with Pocock and their former back-up openside flanker Julian Salvi, who is coming off contract with English club Bath.
    "David Pocock is coming off contract," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "They are big shoes to fill. We won't rule anyone out."

Smith, who will play for the Brumbies this Super 14 season before exploring opportunities overseas, dismissed the suggestion that Pocock's emergence had influenced his decision to retire from international rugby.
    "No, not really," Smith said. "My decision was already made in my head before I went on the spring tour.
    "If anything, it showed we do have great depth in the backrow. It's not as if I'm leaving the Wallabies in a bad state.
    "We have exciting players to fill that position."
    Smith, who has played 110 Tests and 120 Super rugby games for the Brumbies since 2000, cited family reasons for his decision.
    He and his wife Louise have three children under five and the time spent away from home had become a burden.
    "I really liked Robbie's coaching and the World Cup was a temptation, but that's not my motivation for playing rugby," Smith said. "My motivation is my family. In my heart I know I have made the right decision."
    Smith, 29, went "extremely close" to quitting Australia when he re-negotiated his ARU contract just six months ago and admitted he was never at ease with the decision.
    He asked ARU chief executive John O'Neill for an early release from his contract over a coffee just after Christmas.
    While O'Neill and Deans tried to talk Smith out of his decision, the ARU granted his wish for an early release out of respect for his "extraordinary contribution" to the game.
    Deans described Smith as Australia's "greatest" openside flanker, while New Zealand captain Richie McCaw said he was the opponent he respected the most.
    The departure of Smith will be a massive blow to Australia's hopes of winning the World Cup in New Zealand next year.
    Smith showed when he replaced an injured Pocock in the Wallabies' superb win against Wales in Cardiff last November that he was still one of the top opensides in world rugby.
    Phil Waugh (NSW) plus Force backrowers Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown are leading contenders for Smith's position.
    "We've got a pretty good handle on who is out there," Deans said. "Obviously, the next few months will be important because there is a vacancy."
    Smith said he had not entertained any offers from overseas yet, but Japanese club Kubota is the favourite, while Suntory and several French and English sides will also be interested in him.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225827285872

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Captaincy may be on the table sooner than later at the Force for Bam.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yeah thats a nothing article... all the franchises would love to get their hands on Dave... thats not news.

vCash
    and if steve stays im sure he will

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    So the Brumbies aren't happy with George now that he'll be 100% focused on Brumbie rugby?! Jeez, how quickly you get put on the Brumbies' scrap-heap!!! Gits better watch out now that his #10 Wallabies jersey is under threat!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    If you're not a current Wallaby, you're not on Andy Friend's radar.

I wonder if he has any capability of actually COACHING a player to fill a role, rather than just buying one.

If I was Mitch, I'd be talking to Brumby Acadamy players It won't be hard to sign them after they have been overlooked for every major position in the team.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It may be a clever financial strategy, it costs "nothing" to identify them and make them recruitment targets, then "let them" go to other teams to develop them, then chuck the big money at the ones who make it.
    Will backfire once the other teams build even deeper heart and soul, though I guess there is always the Waratahs...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.