ACT splinter sell

By Iain Payten

The Daily Telegraph February 04, 2010 12:00AM

HAVING to leave more than a million dollars' worth of talent on the sidelines is hardly ideal, but the loss of Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom could prove a blessing in disguise for the Brumbies when they take on the Waratahs in Canberra tonight.

Ruled out with a hamstring injury, Elsom joined Giteau (quad) on the injured list for the trial and ensured both star Brumbies signings will, at best, play their first game this year in the Super 14 opener next week.

It is a setback for coach Andy Friend but the marquee pair's absence provides a necessary challenge for the Brumbies: learning to get on with business without them.

The signings of Giteau and Elsom have seen the much-hyped Brumbies swiftly elevated to Australia's top Super 14 chance, and Friend is wary of the seductive danger of star-power and the favouritism that follows.

"The greatest fear when you have an expectation that continues to hover [is that] players start to believe that," Friend said.

"That's why the [26-5] loss against the Hurricanes last week served us well. It was a reality check. I am happy with where we are at - I knew we would have a lot of work to do this week and I daresay next week as well.

"But keeping the feet on the ground is an important one for us."

History is littered with teams containing superstars falling victim to the trap of sitting back and waiting for the magic to happen. Friend knows the peril but so far hasn't had to talk to the team about the issue.

"What I loved about the game on Friday night [against the Hurricanes] was our intent," he said. "If you haven't got intent, and have players coming in at 80-90 per cent, then you need to be having that chat."

Heading a team against NSW tonight very similar to the one that fell just short of the finals last year, ACT skipper Stephen Hoiles is confident the Brumbies won't have any problems rediscovering strong form.

"The majority of the guys who are playing tomorrow night played together the majority of last year," he said. "It is not ideal to have guys out but they are world-class players.

"[So] if anyone can fit in [to the side] in a week's time - it is going to be those two guys."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225826532500