Thread: Fragile Andre still a Force to be reckoned with

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fragile Andre still a Force to be reckoned with

Fragile Andre still a Force to be reckoned with

Jan 30, 2010 11:30 PM | By Craig Ray
    Andre Pretorius' body bears more scars than any 31-year-old's should - a consequence of playing professional rugby in the era of giants.

Current Font Size:
    UNPACKED IN PERTH: Andre Pretorius has superb hands, a wonderful sidestep and a good kicking game Picture: GALLO/GETTY IMAGES

Two knee reconstructions and a career-threatening lower back injury are the stand-out ailments on a chart that makes seasoned surgeons wince. But it is the mental scars that Pretorius has to overcome as he rebuilds his career at the Western Force in Perth, Australia.
    The 1.78m, 90kg flyhalf has always been one of the smaller players on the field. His body has not coped with the rigours of being hunted down by monstrous flanks and borderline psychopathic centres.
    The result is that he has never fulfilled his obvious potential through the misfortune of injury and of being part of a forgettable Golden Lions era.
    But he has great talent - superb hands, a wonderful sidestep and a very good kicking game. Those elements appealed to Force coach John Mitchell after it became clear Wallaby flyhalf Matt Giteau was leaving Perth.
    Pretorius answered Mitchell's call, having become disillusioned with the administration at the Lions following the way former coach Eugene Eloff was ousted at Ellis Park after last year's Super 14 campaign.
    After 11 years in Johannesburg, Pretorius waved goodbye to the city and headed east - not to the Valke in Brakpan - but to Perth in Western Australia. Some say the city is the Brakpan of Oz, but for Pretorius it is a last chance to show what might have been had the injury gods been kinder.
    "I don't feel that I have to prove myself to anyone in South Africa," Pretorius said. "That would be the wrong focus point for me, but I do see this venture as a great opportunity.
    "I still have ambitions of playing for the Springboks again. Once you've worn that jersey you want to do it again and again. But that's not my priority at the Force. My loyalty is simply to them and I want to take it game by game and hopefully the rest will then fall into place."
    Pretorius was recruited into the Lions setup after high school and made his first-class debut in 1998. It was supposed to be the start of a career that would see him join Naas Botha in Springbok rugby's hall of greats.
    It never panned out that way, although there have been a few high moments in the dozen years since he made his first tentative strides into the pioneering new world of professional rugby.
    Winning the Currie Cup with the Lions in 1999 as a 21-year-old enhanced his reputation as the next big thing. Springbok honours followed in 2002 and various scoring records have tumbled at Ellis Park, where he holds the Super Rugby franchise record for most points (685), most conversions (101), most penalties (117) and most drop-goals (13).
    Pretorius has scored an impressive 1464 first-class points and when you consider he has missed nearly four seasons through injury, it really is a case of "what might have been".
    Since arriving in Perth last November he has had nothing to do but work on his fitness and prepare his body for another season of pounding.
    "I've never been as fit as I am starting this season," Pretorius said. "My body is niggle-free, which is testament to the professionalism at the Force and how they look after the players."
    His primary job will be to accumulate points as the team's designated goal-kicker and he's tweaked his technique in an effort for even greater consistency. He has always had two noticeable characteristics when kicking - the use of sand instead of a tee and a gunslinger's squint before kicking. The former has gone but the latter will stay.
    "I tried using a kicking tee last year in the Super 14 - ironically against the Force," he said. "There are too many variables when using sand in different places around the world.
    "When you get to some grounds they haven't got sand, or haven't got enough and it can throw you off. While sand is still my first choice, it's not practical.
    "One of the biggest changes brought through using a tee is that your pre-kick routine changes considerably. I was used to building the 'sand-castle', which formed part of the mental preparation process before the kick.
    "I'm still getting used to it but in time it'll be fine."
    Much like his move to Perth.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rug...icle284151.ece

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I really hope he has an injury free season

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe we should buy him a little bucket as a welcome gift so he can use good WA sand for his home matches?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Maybe we should buy him a little bucket as a welcome gift so he can use good WA sand for his home matches?
    He will fit in really well. Another SAND GROPER.

May the FORCE be with you!