Thread: WA Club Rugby, Round 3

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

WA Club Rugby, Round 3

Here are the results and standings after Round 3 following the general bye over Easter:

Premier Grade: 1. Nedlands, 2. Associates, 3. Palmyra, 4. Rockingham

Wests-Subiaco 16
    Associates 20

Kalamunda 8
    Cottesloe 36

Nedlands 37
    Perth-Bayswater 11

University 28
    Wanneroo 20

Palmyra 20
    Rockingham 6

Seconds: 1. Nedlands, 2. Associates, 3. Palmyra, 4. University

Wests-Subiaco 7
    Associates 35

Kalamunda 13
    Cottesloe 6

Nedlands 58
    Perth-Bayswater 10

University 41
    Wanneroo 12

Palmyra 33
    Rockingham 9

Thirds/A Grade: 1. ARK's, 2. Southern Lions, 3. Associates, 4. Cottesloe

Wests-Subiaco 5
    Associates 26

Midland 5
    Cottesloe 22

Nedlands 23
    ARKs 20

Curtin 21
    Joondalup 29

Southern Lions 27
    Mandurah 10

Fourth Grade: 1. Kalamunda, 2. Palmyra, 3. Associates, 4. Bunbury

Wests-Subiaco 5
    Associates 15

Kalamunda 45
    Cottesloe 10

Bunbury 25
    Perth-Bayswater 0

Palmyra 19
    Rockingham 0

University-Bye

Fifth Grade: 1. ARKs, 2. Curtin, 3. Joondalup, 4. Nedlands

Midland 25
    Perth-Bayswater 0

Nedlands 14
    ARKs 34

Curtin 6
    Joondalup 5

Southern Lions 8
    Mandurah 17

Associates-Bye

Sixth Grade: 1. Palmyra, 2. Bunbury, 3. Wanneroo, 4. Curtin

University 7
    Wanneroo 17

Palmyra 66
    Joondalup 0

Bunbury 25
    Curtin 0

Under 19s: 1. Associates Gold, 2. Nedlands Blue, 3. Rockingham, 4. Wanneroo

Wests-Subiaco 30
    Associates Green 17

Nedlands Gold 5
    Perth-Bayswater 17

University 3
    Wanneroo 55

Palmyra 12
    Rockingham 47

Nedlands Blue 36
    ARKs 26

Associates Gold 35
    Joondalup 5

Kalamunda-Bye

Round 1, Women: 1. Wanneroo, 2. Cottesloe, 3. Kalamunda, 4. University

University 7
    Wanneroo 12

Kalamunda 20
    Cottesloe 22

Nedlands-Bye
    Perth-Bayswater-Bye

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 29-04-06 at 23:28.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Rick Boyd, it must have been a lot uglier being destroyed by Nedlands 37 to 11 than it ever was at Palmyra this weekend. Concentrate on your own obvious inadequacies befor putting your manure on far better sides.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm guessing this is in respoinse to This Article by Rick Boyd on the RugbyWA site...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A few changes in their respective ladders following the completion of Round 3 and some big wins as well.
    Look forward to any updates or match reports from any team level in the Clubs section of the site.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well Burgs, you asked for it, and here it is.
    Despite the invidious rantings of Rick Boyd esquire (who's concept of multi media communication appears limited to the regurgitation of the same one eyed tripe in almost identical terms in three different publications) the Rockingham /Palmyra clashes on the weekend were highly entertaining top notch games between two fairly evenly matched clubs.
    In the premier grade the contest was dour with neither team allowing the other room to move . The loose forwards of both sides were quality players, quick to the breakdown and unrelenting, preventing the half back/five-eight combinations from distributing fast or much quality ball to the outside backs. The difference between the sides was that when Palmyra did get clean ball to the backs they appeared sharper and more penetrating. Rockingham missed the speed of their Force winger Mailata, but the objective lesson for them was that you can't rely on loan players, and you certainly can't build a season or even a game plan around them.
    Surprisingly,the tight five were evenly matched with the far bigger Rockingham pack holding their own but exerting no authority over the lighter Palmyra front row.
    The tackling from both teams was exceptional, brutal and bruising, but fair.
    The final score of 20 to 6 in favour of Palmyra was probably a little more complimentary to them than the intensity of the game indicated, but they deserved to win.
    Second grade was a more one sided affair, Palmyra taking the honours, and the lack of reserve grade depth will,I suspect , be a greater concern to Rockingham than to the other front line clubs this year, presently Palmyra Nedlands and Associates.
    Again in fourth grade the competition was even,with Palmyra's blend of old heads and youth proving a little too much for the tough, experienced but older warhorses from Rockingham.
    Rockingham colts proved to be the better team of the day running away easy victors in the end 47 to 12. There must be something in the water at Rockingham, they consistently breed an excellent team of colts year after year.The Palmyra boys to their credit did not give up but were not of the size or experience of Rockingham. I predict Rockingham will be one of the colt grand finalists this year.
    Now for a little self indulgence (at least I admit it, unlke a certain sanctimonious self appointed expert ).The palmyra bottom grade had an outstanding win 66 nil against an undermanned Joondalup .The score is even more creditable as it was achieved in 40 minutes of play, the game being reduced to two 20 minute halves as the previous grade started late due to the non arrival of the appointed referee.Palmyra sixth grade now has an amazing percentage of 13,700%,137 points for and none against after three games. Don't worry this won't last long! I'll enjoy it while I can.
    No doubt we'll all see how far the worms have turned after next weeks set of fixtures.

Apprentice
    vCash

one eyed reporting

Just in response to article by Rick Boyd in the paper today. Soaks vs. Uni

For the record, the try was disallowed becuase it was a fwd pass. Soaks should never have even had the ball in the first place after the knock on, slap down, and blatant hands in the ruck that the ref missed leading up to the break. If Soaks want to have a whinge about the try, perhaps they should rewind the tape 30 seconds and see they were lucky to even have tha ball. As for Rick Boyd, if you want to take up a career in sports writing better to get your facts right than develop a reputation for sensationalist journalism in the tradition of today tonight. Two weeks in a row that you have managed to take a one sided view.

One thing we can all agree on is that the ref was hopeless and that there were many decisions that went against both teams. This has been a long standing issue in WA rugby and needs to improve drastically.

vCash
    I'm puzzled and troubled . Surely I must have this wrong .
    On the information I have the Western Force pay all their players rather handsomely to play as full time professionals. About 10 of these players, although streets ahead in ability of nearly all locals, will never get a game at super 14 level this year.
    Force academy players are also well rewarded for their dedication.
    Both Force and Academy players are available to their "nominated" clubs week after week, if not in the Force squad,paid for courtesy of the Force's owners, the W.A.Rugby Union,ie all local clubs.
    What disturbs me is that 5 of the full time professionals who will never get a force game, are surprise, surprise allocated to a really struggling club, Nedlands. Also, surprise surprise, 6 of the Academy players are also placed under the Nedlands fold (to be fair, one was previously a Nedlands player).
    On the other hand clubs like Palmyra, who have had 2 "dynamic" recent seasons (ie wooden spooners) have been allocated 4 Force players ,all first string or nominated reserves,who will never get a to play for their "allocated"club. And of course they get no 'allocated"academy players.
    So. if my maths serves me correctly, Nedlands get at least 10 highly skilled players available every week at no cost, and all other clubs get to pay for the privilege.
    I'm sure this is all entirely coincidental and that Nedlands have no one in the hierachy of Rugby WA pulling strings, but isn't it time the apathetic sonambulists in the administration of other clubs in the local competition started asking questions and demanding answers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    I'm puzzled and troubled . Surely I must have this wrong .
    On the information I have the Western Force pay all their players rather handsomely to play as full time professionals. About 10 of these players, although streets ahead in ability of nearly all locals, will never get a game at super 14 level this year.
    Force academy players are also well rewarded for their dedication.
    Both Force and Academy players are available to their "nominated" clubs week after week, if not in the Force squad,paid for courtesy of the Force's owners, the W.A.Rugby Union,ie all local clubs.
    What disturbs me is that 5 of the full time professionals who will never get a force game, are surprise, surprise allocated to a really struggling club, Nedlands. Also, surprise surprise, 6 of the Academy players are also placed under the Nedlands fold (to be fair, one was previously a Nedlands player).
    "Surely I must have this wrong" - That you do.

Nedlands have only had 1 Western Force player playing for them consistantly, and that is Pek Cowan. Luke Holmes has played 2 games and Brock James 1. I am not sure who these 6 Academy players are, as Nedlands only has 3, Will Brock, Joe Egan and Dan Bailey.

The reason why Luke Holmes is at Nedlands is because he was not looked after at his previous club.

Also, Academy players are not "nomited" to clubs, they can choose what club they WANT to play for. Will Brock has been playing at Nedlands since he was 5 years old (his dad is a life member), and Dan Bailey has been playing for Nedlands since he was in Colts and Joe Egan is playing because he has family ties with Nedlands, his uncle is the manager of the Juniors, and all three of these players pay fees like the rest of the club members.

I think in the future you should get your facts right before you post.

You will also find that Associates has the highest number of Academy players and Wanneroo has probably done the best out of the Force allocations, having Vitori Buatava and Josh Fuimaono playing for them consistantly and David Te Moana playing a couple.

Last edited by RugbyFan; 07-05-06 at 04:55.

The reason why Luke Holmes is at Nedlands is because he was not looked after at his previous club.
    I think in the future you should get your facts right before you post
    In future you should practice what you preach!!!!

Luke Holmes left Kalamunda because he didn't want to be anywhere that was too far from home day one, and when Kalamunda dropped him to the reserves starting then coming off the bench for first grade he cracked the shits.

He was available for Thursday night trainings for 4 weeks prior to the start of the club season and failed to turn up for one training and then turned up on the Thursday night before the first game only wearing thongs expecting a full game on Saturday.

He didn't know or make the effort to know the names of the people he was expected to play with.

We don't put up with that sort of crap from our players and we expect "professional" players to be exactly that - professional, not spoilt children.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.