Thread: Gerrard eyes a return to Super rugby

vCash

Gerrard eyes a return to Super rugby

Gerrard eyes a return to Super rugby

Wayne Smith From: The Australian January 29, 2010 12:00AM

JAPAN-BASED former Wallabies fullback Mark Gerrard has told the Brumbies he wants to return to Australia next year to bid for World Cup selection, but it may well be the Melbourne Rebels who instead snap up his services.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan confirmed yesterday that Gerrard, through his manager, had contacted the ACT about a possible return to Canberra after he plays out his contract with Japanese club NTT Communications.

At first glance it appears Gerrard's timing might be perfect. If Stirling Mortlock does decide to play out the remainder of his career with the new Melbourne club, the Brumbies might well take the opportunity to switch Adam Ashley Cooper to what many experts consider his best position, outside centre.

That would then open the door for Gerrard to return to the fullback position he occupied last year for the Brumbies, winning the club's best back award.

Fagan was quick to caution that, as valued a member of the Brumbies family as Gerrard is, it would not be easy for any player to jump back into the system after having jumped out of it to go to Japan last year. "Still, we'd be very keen to have a talk to him," Fagan said.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend was also rolling out the welcome mat. "Gerrard had a tremendous season for us in 2009 but as good as it was, I still think there is a lot more to his game yet," said Friend, who last year described the 23-Test utility back as "the best kicker in Super 14".

"I was really disappointed when he left to go overseas. To me, what was really pleasing about last year was that he started to show himself what he was capable of when he really applied himself.

"At this point in time we have other players we are looking at for this coming season but you don't ever give up the opportunity to talk to someone of that quality."

Gerrard is widely considered to fall into the "veteran" category, but that is more a factor of how long he has been playing Super rugby -- he made his debut in 2001 as a Waratah -- than of his age. He does not turn 28 until September.

Certainly Rebels coach Rod Macqueen does not believe Gerrard is too old to make a solid contribution to the new Melbourne team when it enters the Super 15 next year.

"Mark Gerrard is a good example of the sort of player we're after," Macqueen said. "It would be good to get him back to Australia. I don't expect to sign many overseas players.

"Our whole objective is to make Australian rugby stronger and we can only achieve that by giving Australian players a chance."

Any consideration the Rebels were giving to recruiting lock Steve Borthwick as one of their possible 10 overseas players evaporated overnight when he was confirmed as England's captain for its opening Six Nations Test against Wales on February 6.

The Queensland Rugby Union, meanwhile, will be paying close attention to the crowd figure for tonight's return-to-Ballymore trial against the Crusaders as its five-year contract with Suncorp Stadium draws to a close this year.

A solid turnout tonight and on February 27 when the Reds host the Blues at Ballymore in a Super 14 fixture will ramp up pressure on the QRU to allocate more matches to their traditional home.

Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael insisted the QRU had no preconceived ideas about its playing venue. "We'll work very closely with Suncorp and hold talks with them over the next six to 12 months," Carmichael said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225824483097

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let Gerrard play with the Brumbies, he'll be more comfortable hanging around with the Zimmer Frame set that's being built there "for the good of Australian rugby"

I guess players need a retirement home as well.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I saw Gerrard on an episode of Total Rugby and he sounded like a complete dickhead (bitter about being overlooked by Robbie Deans). He'll fit perfectly back in with the Brumbies.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    One flaw in all this, AAC's best position is Fullback not Outside.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He will be a welcome addition to the new commitee that has been formed.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I would like to think that the core of the Wallabies World Cup Side would be in place long before the start of next Seasons Super Rugby.

A washed up has been that was too slow a couple of years ago hasnt got much hope unless he starts whacking other players across the knee with a metal bar.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    How is he at figure skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I would like to think that the core of the Wallabies World Cup Side would be in place long before the start of next Seasons Super Rugby.

A washed up has been that was too slow a couple of years ago hasnt got much hope unless he starts whacking other players across the knee with a metal bar.
    Don't let them know before they play us (Cam Shepherd)

C'mon the