Thread: Pretorius puts Force first

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pretorius puts Force first

Andre Pretorius has placed all World Cup hopes on the back burner as he concentrates on his new role at the Force.

‘Bring back the sand,’ his Force team-mates chirp from the bleachers. Pretorius, a former Springbok flyhalf, has missed every kick at goal thus far. He places the ball on an unfamiliar orange tee, steps back, glances at the posts, shuffles forward and lets rip. The ball sails wide, and again his team-mates are asking him why he ever dispensed with his trademark method of placing the rugby ball.

Ignoring the jeers, he lines up another kick from the same spot. It bisects the uprights. He moves toward the touchline to line up another, and this one’s a goodie, sailing over the team bus and down toward the main building at Bishops.

He doesn’t miss another attempt, and the ironic cheers that accompanied his first successful kick have since developed into cheers of genuine support.

‘I stopped using sand against the Force last year,’ Pretorius tells keo.co.za with a laugh. ‘I won’t say I’ll never use sand again, but I’m feeling comfortable hitting it from tee.’

Pretorius is in Cape Town for two Super 14 warm-up matches against the Stormers and Sharks.

The 31-year-old joined the Force at the end of last year as their marquee signing, an unsurprising move considering the perpetual failure at the Lions.

He’s enjoying the challenge of spearheading a foreign outfit, and for the moment, to do well at the Force is his only ambition.

‘It’s taken me right out of my comfort zone. I wouldn’t say there’s nerves ahead of Saturday, but there’s expectation. Expectation from myself. I’ve trained really hard, and now I have to deliver.

‘I’m not here to fill Matt Giteau’s boots. I’m not focused on making the Springbok World Cup squad [for 2011]. At present, I’m training hard for an important season for the Force, I’m 100% focused on doing well for them. If I lose that focus, I’m going to be ineffective.’

The bright sunshine spills onto Piley Rees field, the 28 degrees Celsius a welcome respite from temperatures of 42 in a sweltering Perth. Pretorius is looking sharp during these drills, and there’s little doubt he’s running the show. He’s orchestrated some big wins during his 31-Test career. Saturday could see him helping a foreign team to a win over a South African outfit.

‘It is weird, but I think it’s going to be a great experience. I suppose they will think they know everything about my game [laughs]. I suppose I can’t do anything to surprise them on Saturday.
    ‘I’m feeling great at the moment. It’s one of the first times where I’ve begun the season injury-free. I’m also very excited about what’s happening at the Force. There’s been a few drafts in the off-season, but there’s a good structure and a clear direction of where we are going.

‘The lifestyle change has taken some getting used to, but I’m loving it in Perth. After training, I usually head down to the beach for a swim. You obviously can’t do that when you’re playing in Jo’burg.’

In his prime, Pretorius was one of the best flyhalves in the world, be it through his accurate kicking game or sublime distribution. He’ll have the opportunity to test his skills against Jaque Fourie and Bryan Habana this Saturday, but he’s also looking forward to facing Peter Grant, a player he feels is a tremendous talent.

Willem de Waal is still recovering from a neck injury but should be back to start at flyhalf in week one of the Super 14. In Pretorius’s mind, Grant should be handed this responsibility.

‘I’d like to see him used more at 10 this season. He’s one of the more versatile players around. He’s got a great passing game, he can kick, and he can take the ball up to the line. His defence is solid. According to me, he’s a really good flyhalf.’

Despite what he says, Pretorius has indeed been contracted to fill the void left by Giteau. Apart from that, he’s also playing a significant role in player development, and Wallabies sensation James O’Connor has become his keenest pupil.

‘He’s a great athlete. It’s amazing that they’re coming through so young these days, but he’s definitely up to it. You couldn’t stop him, you had to give him a go. I’ve been impressed with him, he’s a name for the future.

Nineteen-year-old O’Connor turned down several offers from other franchises to stay with the Force and learn under players like Pretorius. So far, the kid they call “Rabbit” has no regrets.

‘There’s still a lot I can improve and it’s been wonderful to tap into a resource like Andre,’ O’Connor told this website. ‘He’s taught me a few things and I’m sure they’re going to help me plenty.’

Force coach John Mitchell won’t name his starting XV until before kickoff, but all 25 squad members are likely to get a crack at the Stormers. The game will be played in four chukkas, but it should still be competitive.

Pretorius will start at flyhalf while O’Connor, a utility player capable of slotting in at centre, wing or fullback, will play 15.

‘I’m happy to play any of those positions, as long as I can get my hands on the ball,’ O’Connor said. ‘We should be pretty direct this weekend, but because of the nature of the game, their might be a bit of space to run.’

By Jon Cardinelli

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/01/22/pret...s-force-first/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "If I lose that focus, I’m going to be ineffective."
    That's a bit of a worry...

"Despite what he says, Pretorius has indeed been contracted to fill the void left by Giteau."
    Well no, as he says he has been contracted to do a job, who came before or comes after is irrelevant.

I believe he is a great choice for the job at hand and will bring out the best in the younger "excitment" players by giving them good ball and reliable distribution.
    Shame he ditched the sand though...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What no sand? Bummer!! ...very excited to see what he can create this season on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "If I lose that focus, I’m going to be ineffective."
    That's a bit of a worry...
    I wouldn't worry too much burgs; Generally if anyone loses their focus they are not at their best - or they have lost a contact lens.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bit of a difference between "ineffective" and "less effective" though wouldn't you say?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yes. This is true.
    The way I see it, to Lose focus= to lose motivation and just go through the motions....

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Refreshing journalism. A pre-season article on the Force that doesn't bother to mention prior years indiscretions. Just tells it how it is.
    Pity the journo's in the east probably won't even notice it.

vCash
    Pretorius thinks his a chance at making the next RWC... He is a self-assured... and not a stats man…