Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharpe prediction: no Giteau, no worries

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe prediction: no Giteau, no worries

NATHAN Sharpe has staked an early claim for the Optimist of the Year award, insisting the Western Force is still a Super 14 finals contender despite losing master playmaker Matt Giteau.

Even with Giteau calling the shots at five-eighth over the past three seasons, the Force still could not qualify for the play-offs. Indeed, a quick glance at how the Perth team fared during that time reveals a quirky but alarming trend -- finishing seventh in 2007, eighth in '08 and ninth in '09.
    If the steady drift southward were to continue for a 10th placing in 2010, it would only confirm the expectations of most critics, with Centrebet installing the Force on the 10th line of favouritism at $31, slightly better than the Reds at $51 but still out of sight of the Giteau-improved Brumbies who share the second line at $5.50 with the Bulls, just a nudge behind perennial title contender the Crusaders.

But while Force captain Sharpe is content that so many people are writing off his side, he does not share the view that the loss of Giteau and, to a lesser extent of Drew Mitchell to the Waratahs, is necessarily a shattering blow.
    "The thing that people don't realise is that last year we had the personnel to play a certain style of game," said Sharpe, shortly before flying out last night to Cape Town where the Force will play pre-season trials against the Stormers and Sharks over the next week.
    "Since last year's Super 14 the game has changed and we're lucky to have recruited a player like (former Springbok five-eighth) Andre Pretorius who controls the game very well. And we've recruited well across the rest of the team as well, particularly in the front row."
    Certainly the recruitment of Matt Dunning and former Hurricanes tighthead Tim Fairbrother should add some real grunt to the Force scrum, although the loss of former Wallabies hooker Tai McIsaac is proving difficult to cover.
    Meanwhile, former Melbourne Storm NRL player Will Chambers will make his professional rugby debut at outside centre in the Reds' second half XV at Lismore, while Queensland's other significant new signing, Lei Tomiki, will debut at openside flanker in the first half XV.
    Meanwhile, former Brumbies backrower Julian Salvi, now one of the form players for Bath in the English Premiership, has emerged as a prime recruitment target for the Melbourne Rebels as the new club starts from scratch to build its 2011 roster.
    English press reports indicate Bath is resigned to losing Salvi, a 49-cap Super rugby veteran for the Brumbies, to the new Australian team.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225821390058

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Now there is a byline you would expect to see about any of the other teams, keep up the good work Wayne, cockhead...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The identity of the author is one of the reasons I won't accept the Bedgood story without hearing the other side ...

vCash
    I take it The Australian's editorial policy forbade using "Force Captain refuses to admit team is f*&ked, depsite constant goading", so he had to settle for the "optimist of the year" crack instead.

vCash
    Come on guys, the Australian's been writing Force is Crap Brumbies rock for two years now, you expect any better?

Muddy must be their editor!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Wayne is usually far less of a one-eyed tool than Bret Harris. But he is gaining ground fast.

It's great that Julian Salvi is going to the Melbourne franchise. I'd hoped he would hook up with the Reds but its great that he'll stay in the system with the new team. They should seriously consider trying to bring Beau Robinson back too. You could fill out a very nice backrow with overseas players. Its a shame David Lyons is on a 4 year contract because he'd also be a good option.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Optimist of the Year - Nathan Sharpe
    Knob of the Year - Wayne Smith

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I understand he has changed his surname by deed poll to Kerr

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pre Force I used to actually respect Wayne's opinion, what a fool I had been all those years

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

NATHAN Sharpe has staked an early claim for the Optimist of the Year award, insisting the Western Force is still a Super 14 finals contender despite losing master playmaker Matt Giteau.

Even with Giteau calling the shots at five-eighth over the past three seasons, the Force still could not qualify for the play-offs. Indeed, a quick glance at how the Perth team fared during that time reveals a quirky but alarming trend -- finishing seventh in 2007, eighth in '08 and ninth in '09.
    If the steady drift southward were to continue for a 10th placing in 2010, it would only confirm the expectations of most critics, with Centrebet installing the Force on the 10th line of favouritism at $31, slightly better than the Reds at $51 but still out of sight of the Giteau-improved Brumbies who share the second line at $5.50 with the Bulls, just a nudge behind perennial title contender the Crusaders.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225821390058
    Amazing he cannot recall that in 2006 we were 14th, and in a competition as strong as the Super 14 there is no shame in nineth, I do not think the other Australian franchises were much higher. He also forgets only two points seperated 7 and 9 and 5 points seperated 3 and 9.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Amazing he cannot recall that in 2006 we were 14th, and in a competition as strong as the Super 14 there is no shame in nineth, I do not think the other Australian franchises were much higher. He also forgets only two points seperated 7 and 9 and 5 points seperated 3 and 9.
    I doubt he forgot; it's just that as the facts didn't fit his story he ignored them. SMH and The Australian are biased because of their readership - they'd rather have stories where Western Australia is either the big bad wolf stealing their players or irrelevant. I'd rather it was that way, 'cause when we have another Slam this year they'll find it much harder to explain away.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Knob of the Year - Wayne Smith
    Greggy Growden will be a bit disappointed. He's held on to that award for a good 4 years now. End of an era.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    they do say statistics can be moulded to represent any opinion.. in this case Waynes gone for the the 7th, 8th 9th stat to use for his obvious bais.

Tazzmania youve hit it on the Nail, last years S14 was one of the closest in recent times in terms of how late the final 4 teams were decided.. the year before was similarly close... If the Force were down-and-out by round 8 then id respect those stats..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I understand he has changed his surname by deed poll to Kerr
    Leave the comedy to the pros gunty.

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Hang on - we were 8th last year! Cheeky sod!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast