Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aussie fly-half to quit French side

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Aussie fly-half to quit French side

Australian fly-half Scott Daruda, who left behind a Super 14 career with Western Force last year to play for Agen, is quitting the French club after failing to hold down a regular first team spot.

Romain Sola and Francois Gelez have been favoured by coaches Christian Lanta and Christophe Deylaud as Agen have moved to the top of the French second division.

Daruda, 23, is a former Australian Under-19 and Under-21 international.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...t-french-side/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Not nice to hear, Scott seemed like a nice guy, and I feel for him.

He came across to us with such potential, before those sickening concussions in 2006, I hope he gets himself a gig with us again or another Super 14 outfit in the future, even if its not as a starting player. He is still young and may still mature or help those around him.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It'd be great to see him sign on with the Rebels. I liked Scotty too and he would be a great option for the new Melbourne franchise. First player to play in two teams first games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    I thought he wasn't treated that well by the Force after Gits came over here. Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

vCash
    I was musing with a mate the other day that we don't really have a #10 cover for Pretorius in the event of an injury. Maybe Scotty D could come back?

That said, I never thought he really hit the heights required to play S14 with the , but maybe his time in France has helped?

Good luck to him, whatever his decision. He's a nice bloke and deserves good things.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We are a bit low on depth at 15 in Australia. I wonder if he could make the conversion? Pretty sure he played at 15 once or twice in the ARC.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I was musing with a mate the other day that we don't really have a #10 cover for Pretorius in the event of an injury. Maybe Scotty D could come back?
    Many people were musing over that in June. It was a reasonable muse.

More to the point is: why did he leave in the first place?

He would have known a year ago that Giteau was going back to the Brumbies and he would have been first cab off the rank to start at flyhalf in 2010.

Maybe his partner and he wanted to experience France and had planned for it, and that's a fair enough decision for a young couple. There is more to life than playing in the Super14.

But apparently they didn't like it there and the cold snap recently was the last straw. One Agen official said something like: "He would rather be where the sun and coconuts are."

If he left to experience France he could well come back to the Force. But if he burnt some bridges in Perth or the coaches didn't think he was good enough, they won't want him back.

If he wants to play in an Oz Super14 team this year it is very late notice.

The Force have already signed Sam Harris as a backup to Petoors, and Hunt is a 12 who can play 10. Despite Barnes leaving the Reds have Cooper as the starter and Lucas as the backup. Kingi and Hynes can play there too at a pinch and Randwick's Tim Walsh, who played for the Reds a few years ago when they had "flyhalf of the week", is running around with the squad.

The Tahs and Brumbies won't need anybody unless there are injuries.

Perhaps playing professional rugby is not the most important thing in Daruda's life and sitting out the 2010 S14 is neither here nor there. Maybe he will go back to Brisbane to play club rugby to keep and his name in front of Super coaches, with an eye on Melbourne for 2011, but I'd like to see him playing Sydney club rugby.

We could use him at the Rats.

vCash
    The way Brock James has developed in Europe he can come back to Aus well Perth anytime.

Leading points scorer in the Top 14 I think.

Steered Clermont to top spot in the French Top 14 and their in contention for Heineken Cup Quarter Finals action.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    not retaining James was a major blunder by the Force
    he is set in Europe now

vCash
    I watched him last night again against the Ospreys.

Slipped through the system like the brown dog did for the reds.

And of no interest to this thread Henjack had a great battle with Justin Marshall in the top 14 the other night. Two mouthy half backs sticking it to each other.

OK

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dunno re Brocky. To be fair, assuming the Gits signing still happened, he would have seen very little match time at the Force over the last three years, at least at Flyhalf, as Gits played 37/39 opportunities. As such, he would have either been getting splinters or covering Fullback, either way not realising his full potential as a Flyhalf.
    There were glimpses during his ten matches for the Force but he certainly never reached his potential, or even his previous standing.
    Would love to see him back, but I think leaving the Force was actually his coming of age, which most likely wouldn't have occurred if he had stayed.
    Likewise, Hennas can come back any day he wants for mine WRF
    He certainly doesn't deserve a lifetime ban.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe Brock James would've played better had Matt Henjak's service not been fairly poor in the inaugural season. But maybe his style of play just didn't suit the Force. In the current climate it would be great to see him come back but I think there are a lot of people on here who would prefer James Hilgendorf back first. We definitely should've tried harder to keep him.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Totally agree re Jimmy, I'd go as far as to say he's been our best Flyhalf in the true sense of the position.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Totally agree re Jimmy, I'd go as far as to say he's been our best Flyhalf in the true sense of the position.
    agreed

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Hello
    I'm a supporter from Agen. Sorry for my english.
    Everybody here regreat Scott' s decision to come back in Australia. Supporters really like him and, for us, he was one of the best technic player and a very nice guy. But it was too difficult for him and his wife Shelley to adapt, contrary with Pelesasa (he is a very good defender, and is very strong with Caucaunibuca on his right) who is older than him.
    Everybody tried to help him but I think that his wife wasn't prepared for that experience. The decision of the coach not to make him play was because he wanted him to get time to integrate, because they find Daruda is the best 10 f the squad. Agen is now in good position to play in top 14 next year and Daruda was the number 1. We have now to find another very strong player.
    We wish for him a very good carrier and hope we'll see him again in France with wallabie's team !
    I invite you to see videos of Agen'tries with this link:
    http://www.agen-rugby.com/cms/index....id=134&catid=7
    and the article of Scott's departure (in french !):
    http://www.sudouest.com/lot-et-garon...l/5591880.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast