Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toodyay Bushfire Appeal

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Toodyay Bushfire Appeal

As most of you know bushfires raged through Toodyay just after Christmas & over 37 families lost their homes, their farms, their belongings & in some cases their livelyhoods. Lauras brother's a firey, so in aide of what's happened he's organising to travel up there on Sunday with donations for the people who have been left with nothing.

So, if you have any clothes, toiletries, linen, non-perishable foods, toys or school books/stationary for the kids or those tacky Christmas presents you want to get rid of before anyone notices (don't deny, I'm sure everyone got something they didn't want or need) please feel free to donate them to the cause.

As its a long weekend if any of you feel like a scenic drive, donations can be dropped off at our place (preferrably) or we may be able to come to an arrangement to pick them up. If anyone lives/works centrally and has the space where donations can be dropped off & stored until Saturday arvo/Sunday morning that would also be a tremendous help. OR you could make the trip up to Toodyay with us and donate your goods, first hand, to the people that need them. So if you're interested, please call/text Bryan (my brother) on 0414 563 276.

Alternatively, cash donations can be made through Bankwest, Bendigo Bank, The Salvation Army or The West Australian/7News by following this link: https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/medi...spx?ItemId=252

We helped out when it happened in Victoria, so now its time to help our own. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Onya TG!

vCash
    Thanks to Jedi & Beige for their donations. The volunteers at the donations centre were extremely grateful & are happy to accept more donations. If anyone has any its only a short road trip or give us a yell & we're happy to take more up there. They're in desperate need of NEW, clean underwear for men, women & children.

As much as all donations are appreciated, the people who need them most don't have the place to store them & the showgrounds are running out of room to store everything so cash donations are preferred, if you can spare a few bucks.

Last edited by laura; 03-01-10 at 16:39.

vCash
    Thanks for arranging it!

vCash
    I think it's a great that Mr. Anonymous is making such a generous donation. But am I wrong in thinking that the government giving $1000 or $3000 is pretty much a joke? Just doesn't seem like much money to someone who lost everything. I guess it depends on what they get from the Feds.

Victims of the Toodyay bushfire will have their assistance payments doubled with an anonymous donor promising to match those handed out by the State Government.
    A Perth man who owns property in Toodyay, north east of Perth, has offered to match the State Government's payments to bushfire victims dollar for dollar.
    38 homes were destroyed and many others damaged in the blaze which ripped through the area last week.
    The State Government has given $3000 to families whose homes were destroyed in the blaze and will give $1000 to families whose homes were damaged.
    These payments will be doubled on Tuesday when the donated money is handed out.
    Graham Merrick from the Shire of Toodyay says the generosity of the anonymous donor is overwhelming.
    "We were blown away with the offer quite clearly," he said.
    The Federal Government has also offered financial assistance to those affected by the fire.wesome that Mr.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...htm?site=perth

Veteran
    vCash
    i believe it is emergency money, ie get it straight away, it isnt compensation. basically for food, clothes accomadation for the short term.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The $3k is just cash for them to buy immediate needs. Insurance and stuff and compensation from the power company who's poles started the fire will be later.

vCash
    Got ya!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    providing they have insurance, which i see a few people have not...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    providing they have insurance, which i see a few people have not...
    Really?? If you have a mortgage the bank would require you have insurance. If you own your home outright why wouldn't you carry insurance? It makes no sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Really?? If you have a mortgage the bank would require you have insurance. If you own your home outright why wouldn't you carry insurance? It makes no sense.
    It has come out in previous disasters that some people, for whatever reason, don't insure, or, under insure their houses and worldly possessions; Crazy, but true.
    It makes no sense at all, LNJ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Yeah, but it's up to (a) the homeowner (mortgagor) to remember (or be bothered) to renew the policy each year, and (b) the bank (mortgagee) to remember to check that the insurance has been renewed. Banks' checking systems appear to leave a fair bit to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    It has come out in previous disasters that some people, for whatever reason, don't insure, or, under insure their houses and worldly possessions; Crazy, but true.
    It makes no sense at all, LNJ.
    Many, many, many people underinsure. Especially the contents of their home. Even now. Even some of you reading this now. Have you checked your own insurance recently? Will that sum insured really replace everything if your house gets destroyed? Really? Are you sure? (Oh, no need to answer these if your house will never get destroyed - in fact why bother insuring?)

...and yes, I am in the insurance industry. And yes, it constantly amazes me that folk treat their insurance renewal invoices like a bill and don't actually review them.....and yes, I will likely have a fair bit to do with the aftermath of the Toodyay event when I eventually get back from annual leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    ...and yes, I am in the insurance industry.
    Jeez Ecky...a ref & in the insurance industry....wouldn't have thought you'd get too many Christmas cards!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Yeah, but it's up to (a) the homeowner (mortgagor) to remember (or be bothered) to renew the policy each year, and (b) the bank (mortgagee) to remember to check that the insurance has been renewed. Banks' checking systems appear to leave a fair bit to be desired.

Many, many, many people underinsure. Especially the contents of their home. Even now. Even some of you reading this now. Have you checked your own insurance recently? Will that sum insured really replace everything if your house gets destroyed? Really? Are you sure? (Oh, no need to answer these if your house will never get destroyed - in fact why bother insuring?)

...and yes, I am in the insurance industry. And yes, it constantly amazes me that folk treat their insurance renewal invoices like a bill and don't actually review them.....and yes, I will likely have a fair bit to do with the aftermath of the Toodyay event when I eventually get back from annual leave.
    My bank pays mine a year in advance and keeps next years premiums in escrow so I'm not sure how it's possible for the policy to not get renewed. No being under insured is no doubt a huge problem.

I treat mine like a bill basically because the agents today suck. In the past someone would call me every year to review my auto, home & life. Now I don't even know if I have an agent.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably a few down around the Gulf probably wished they had followed your lead too Lazz.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast