O'Connor can't sidestep Wally duties

October 23, 2009 - 3:52pm
Story by: AAP

Qantas Wallabies teenager James O'Connor capped a meteoric rise into Test rugby when he was crowed Rookie of the Year on Thursday night but, he laments, it doesn't get him out of babysitting Wally.

The fresh faced 19-year-old is still the youngest of coach Robbie Deans's 35-man squad, half of which fly out of Sydney on Friday night for the Wallabies end of season tour of Japan and Europe.

Being the baby on tour means the incumbent fullback has to take care of the Wallabies team mascot, Wally - a generously sized stuffed Wallaby - for the second year running.

O'Connor can't just pack the plush in a locked suitcase, he must tote Wally with him on the team bus, on the plane, to training and to various other team commitments.

Last season, the Western Force whizkid was all smiles about the job at hand, cheekily claiming Wally could help him pick-up "chicks" on tour.

This year, wise to his teammates endless pranks and practical jokes, O'Connor was less enthusiastic about the month-long task but showcased his good nature as he genuinely strained to see the funny-side.

"Yeah I'm still in charge of Wally, I've got him for another tour which I'm not too happy about but you've got to roll with it I guess," he said on Friday.

"He's up in my room at the moment I think the first trip to the airport will be some fun, I'll have to keep a close eye on him."

Jovial teammates notoriously "kidnap" Wally when an unsuspecting O'Connor lets his guard down, but already experienced in the prankster's plots, O'Connor expects some may stoop to breaking unwritten laws.

"The guys you've got to watch out for are the "Tongan Mafia", Cliffy Palu and Tatafu (Polota-Nau)," he said.

"They try to get their hands on Wally as much as they can, and get bribes up there for him and put up ransom notes, it's not too fun.

"There's some clauses, you're not meant to take him during training, but they sort of get there a minute before training and take him out of my bag and just hide him somewhere ridiculous.

"It's good fun for the boys I guess, but not for me too much.

"Last tour I'd always seem to find him, someone would always give me an anonymous tip off or something so I didn't get in too much trouble."

Off-field responsibilities aside, O'Connor said he was keenly awaiting another tour with the Wallabies as they aim to claim a Grand Slam against the Home Nations after a hit-out against the All Blacks in Tokyo on October 31.

"Every game is a surreal moment for me, especially facing that Haka, it's pretty intense but you definitely lift from it," he said.

"It's a privilege to play with the boys and I'm just looking forward to going away on tour and having some fun.

"It's going to be an awesome tour."

Brought to you by AAP