Matt Hodgson

For the casual rugby fan, the name Matt Hodgson may not be overly familiar, however those who have kept a closer tab of Australian Rugby over the past 7 or 8 years will know that the no nonsence bloke affectionately known as Hodo has been steadily making progress. Omar catches up with the 27 year old on the eve of his first match for the Wallabies.

So mate, how has it felt in Wallaby camp so far?
Pretty full on but great at the same time. I am having to catch up on a lot of knowledge of how the team plays, which is not too different to what we are doing at the Force. The whole setup could be described as very similar to a Force camp only with about an added 10% intensity.

At age 27, you might be considered a late bloomer as far as Wallaby representation goes. I guess this is a sign of being very persistent?
I had a bit of trouble early in my career with some season ending injuries that hampered my progress a little. Also, I have had to change my game in recent years to show that I can play in different positions. I can now cover all 3 back row positions which seems to allow me more time on the field and more opportunity to impress.

You probably don’t fit the mould of what many people regard the modern day number 6 to be (i.e. tall, lineout jumping etc) Have you seen this as an advantage or disadvantage?
I don’t think its been a big issue, in fact I’d say its been less of an issue with the new laws we have played which encourages players who can get around and attack the ball on the ground. I have done a lot of work on lineouts over the past two years under the guidance of Sharpy who has been fantastic. I feel as though I’ve improved a lot in this area.

So, you’ll be lining up against the brute physicality of Jerry Collins, along with your mates Rocky Elsom and Phil Waugh. How do you see this going?
It’ll be a good battle between the two back rows. The game will be won on possession of ball, so retention and turnovers will be crucial. The new laws have made this area of the game even more prevalent.

Who are you rooming with at Coogee?
I’m with Steve Moore who is a good guy to be around. He has been in the system for quite a while and has been teaching me a few tricks to make me more adaptable.

What proportion of guys had you never met going into this week’s camp?
I knew most guys quite well considering we have 10 Force boys in the squad and also considering I used to be at the Waratahs. I would say that I knew about 60 to 70% of the guys, whilst others I was shaking hands with for the first time.

How have you enjoyed working with Robbie Deans thus far?
Excellent. He’s a great coach with great knowledge and has the utmost respect of all the guys in the squad. With Robbie I think that you can enjoy playing the way you always play, which after all is the way it should be, given that you were initially selected for playing that way. I don’t think you should be asked to compromise and change your style too much.

And your family will be trekking down form the Central Coast?
Yeah, Mum and Dad will be coming down along with my brother and sister. My old man was pretty excited when I first gave him the call to tell him I was playing.

Thanks for your time Hodo. Get stuck into Rocky and Waughy this weekend.

http://www.rupa.com.au/ArticlePage.aspx?PageID=2402